Sea Salt

Dustoff

Rimping Market off of Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd. has it. If I recall, it was at the end of a row at the isle near the bakery.

You recall correctly. It comes in a small table size and one a bit bigger. Both are grinders and you have to grind it to get it out.

Makro sels Saxa table salt wich is "Naturally evaporated seasalt" from Australia. It is a conic plastic bottle, white with red print, 750 gram.

I can't remember the price but it was not as expensive as rimpings.

Edited by Joop50

Makro sels Saxa table salt wich is "Naturally evaporated seasalt" from Australia. It is a conic plastic bottle, white with red print, 750 gram.

I have heard that it does make a difference where it comes from is this correct? Does it make a difference how they get it.

It occurred to me that they might be using chemicals to separate it if it is not by evaporation. I do know that it tastes a lot better than regular salt.

I have heard that it does make a difference where it comes from is this correct? Does it make a difference how they get it.

It occurred to me that they might be using chemicals to separate it if it is not by evaporation. I do know that it tastes a lot better than regular salt.

~

Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value — both mostly consist of two minerals — sodium and chloride. However, sea salt is often marketed as a more natural and healthy alternative. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste, texture and processing..

Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater, usually with little processing, which leaves behind some trace minerals and elements depending on its water source. These minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.

Table salt is normally rock or ocean salt that is mined, heat blasted, chemically treated, and then anti-caking agents and iodine added to it. What you have left is table salt that is basically dead. It is now just dry sodium and chloride.

It is all a matter of taste (if you even notice the difference) and a desire to go as natural as reasonable. I also ease back on processed sugar, white flour, polished white rice, etc., but I am not a fanatic about it..

Bottled water also presents issues in that it is robbed of it's natural minerals and people who use/drink it exclusively would be wise to consider taking a multi-mineral suppliment to compensate. The plain fact is that it is quite natural for us to eat a significant amount of 'dirt' in our diet and I plan to get my share. :D

Thanks to all for the responses! We are off to Makro today and will check out Rimping as well..

~

~

Sea salt and table salt have the same basic nutritional value — both mostly consist of two minerals — sodium and chloride. However, sea salt is often marketed as a more natural and healthy alternative. The real differences between sea salt and table salt are in their taste, texture and processing..

Sea salt is produced through evaporation of seawater, usually with little processing, which leaves behind some trace minerals and elements depending on its water source. These minerals add flavor and color to sea salt, which also comes in a variety of coarseness levels.

Table salt is normally rock or ocean salt that is mined, heat blasted, chemically treated, and then anti-caking agents and iodine added to it. What you have left is table salt that is basically dead. It is now just dry sodium and chloride.

It is all a matter of taste (if you even notice the difference) and a desire to go as natural as reasonable. I also ease back on processed sugar, white flour, polished white rice, etc., but I am not a fanatic about it..

Bottled water also presents issues in that it is robbed of it's natural minerals and people who use/drink it exclusively would be wise to consider taking a multi-mineral suppliment to compensate. The plain fact is that it is quite natural for us to eat a significant amount of 'dirt' in our diet and I plan to get my share. :D

Thanks to all for the responses! We are off to Makro today and will check out Rimping as well..

~

Thanks for the information. I can only speak for myself but the taste of the sea salt It has been my good fortune to use is much better than table salt. Unfortunately I have to watch my salt intake.

As for bottled water you are correct. When I was working construction in the heat I was subject to mucle cramps. I always felt that bottled water contributed to the problem and took supplements to off set the lack of nutrients in bottled water.

that being said I now live in Chiang Mai and drink only bottled water. I have heard that tap water is OK here but I doubt it. We also buy it delivered to the door in glass bottles.

Here in Bangkok I tried to find sea salt for a salt grinder and had great difficulty. Eventually found some at Tokyu, but it doesn't grind or keep well once opened. The problem is that salt is hygroscopic and in these humid climes cakes easily unless an anti-caking agent is added and fine ground.

What I do find easy to locate is this:

04022011152.jpg

Can find in most western-style supermarkets usually amongst the pots of spices/peppers rather than near the large bags of iodized salt.

Here in Bangkok I tried to find sea salt for a salt grinder and had great difficulty. Eventually found some at Tokyu, but it doesn't grind or keep well once opened. The problem is that salt is hygroscopic and in these humid climes cakes easily unless an anti-caking agent is added and fine ground.

What I do find easy to locate is this:

04022011152.jpg

Can find in most western-style supermarkets usually amongst the pots of spices/peppers rather than near the large bags of iodized salt.

~

This is exactly what I came home with today from the Rimping across from Airport Plaza. There were two sizes but the big one which will last me for years was only marginally more expensive so I brought it home.

There were also a couple of other brands, one of them from Australia but they were finely ground and snow white which indicates major processing.

There are other sacks of unground stuff but I would be leary of the very large bags as they may not be cleaned up enough to be considered fit for consumption.

My old Mom used to add some grains of dry rice to salt to keep it from clumping and I don't mind if a bit of ground rice ends up in my salt.

Salt also dries very quickly and efficiently in a microwave or direct sunlight if it begins to clump on you but be sure to get it back into the bottle while still warm so it doesn't just absorb moisture again from the air as it cools..

Salty Old Dustoff

~

Edited by Dustoff

Dustoff, I guess you missed this thread from Dec 6, where another member asked the identical question, and got numerous responses....

A quick search (big green button) for "sea salt", that is directed to search this forum (CM) turned up 3 or 4 other threads in addition to the one mentioned above, dating back to 2006.

Hey, no biggie. We have members who apparently find mayonnaise a rare and difficult commodity to locate here.

:rolleyes::lol:;) :jap:

Dustoff, I guess you missed this thread from Dec 6, where another member asked the identical question, and got numerous responses....

A quick search (big green button) for "sea salt", that is directed to search this forum (CM) turned up 3 or 4 other threads in addition to the one mentioned above, dating back to 2006.

Hey, no biggie. We have members who apparently find mayonnaise a rare and difficult commodity to locate here.

:rolleyes::lol:;) :jap:

~

You are absolutely right McG. I both missed that thread and failed to do a search - my bad.

As it turns out, I like this one much better than your linked one since it is going so smoothly and

is so informative - your's, I believe, being the first disparaging comment.

Please however, if this thread annoys you, feel free to close or delete it since it long ago answered

my question and I promise to avoid "mayonnaise" kinds of questions in the future. ;)

Oops, I hope that doesn't start a thread hijack about mayo.. :D

~