American Style Canned Corn Beef Hash

farang000999

I think corned beef hash is kind of a "retro" food and not really common on US menus anymore. Perhaps people eat it at home. I never ate any and don't want any. I wouldn't mind a serving of s--t on a shingle (SOS in the LOS) though!

Edited by Jingthing

It is a nice fried egg though Tot's mate ;)

As for the rest that may explain why the OP hasn't seen any elsewhere here. Maybe nobody here is stupid enough to want to buy it here.

Must be an American thing ? :blink:

The OP should be aware we're used to buying tins of corned beef without cheap potato filling. What?? he thinks we're dumb yanks or something???? :lol:

OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE NEVER TASTED OR YOU WOULD NOT MAKE SUCH DUMB COMMENTS,

Of course it would seem dumb to a septic....I'll buy a tin of corned beef and some potatoes and feed six people while you feed yourself. Maybe before you buy you should check its microwave status. :D

Wow, I'll bet you didn't expect all of this in response too your offer; some really weird comments... Anyway, please PM me a list (with photos if you have) of the items you're trying to sell, and I'll ask around. Good luck, krap; and hang in there!

B)

Edited by Michaelaway

I think corned beef hash is kind of a "retro" food and not really common on US menus anymore. Perhaps people eat it at home. I never ate any and don't want any. I wouldn't mind a serving of s--t on a shingle (SOS in the LOS) though!

Growing up, my mother (English) fed us kids SOS too often. I do believe corned beef hash is an American thing, and it is a d#@m sight better tasting than SOS. The picture doesn't do it justice though.

Growing up, my mother (English) fed us kids SOS too often. I do believe corned beef hash is an American thing, and it is a d#@m sight better tasting than SOS. The picture doesn't do it justice though.

In all honesty the picture looks like regurgitated vomit.

In the U.S., on the East coast, particularly in New England, the Greek deli's always had good corned beef hash on the menu. They use good, fresh-cooked corned beef brisket chopped up with precooked potatoes, onions and spices. Then, they set the mixture down on the grill in a wide, rough-edged patty and brown it on both sides. Some places cracked their eggs over the top to fry, and others cooked and & their eggs separately (my preference). Outstanding (and there was no corn...)!

B)

post-72929-0-45488900-1297598395_thumb.j

Edited by Michaelaway

Presented that way, it looks somewhat like my favorite Mexican breakfast, Machaca Con Huevos. But of course the Mexican version can be spiced super hot with salsa and the starch is tortillas/rice/beans not white bread or potatoes.

post-37101-0-48613500-1297599130_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

Presented that way, it looks somewhat like my favorite Mexican breakfast, Machaca Con Huevos. But of course the Mexican version can be spiced super hot with salsa and the starch is tortillas/rice/beans not white bread or potatoes.

post-37101-0-48613500-1297599130_thumb.j

Never tried but the recipe sounds interesting (could make it here, too) and it looks great:

Machaca con Huevos (eggs):

Ingredients:

• 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup Machaca*
  • 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
  • 1/ 4 cup onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon Serrano chili, finely diced
  • pinch of cumin
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon lard*

Preparation:

Heat the lard in a medium skillet. Saute the onions and serrano chile for about 20 seconds. Add in the machaca and continue to heat for about 1 minute. Mix in the tomatoes and seasonings and remove mixture from pan and set aside. In the same pan, cook the eggs, constantly stirring and scraping with a wooden spoon or spatula to make them scrambled. When eggs are almost done, remove from heat and fold in tomato and machaca mixture. Let eggs sit in hot pan for an additional minute to finish cooking. *You may substitute shredded beef for the machaca and oil for the lard.

User Reviews

1) Machaca is beef that has been marinated, cooked, shredded and then dried. It is very similar to beef jerky.

2) The true way to prepare the meat for this receipe is as follows: Use thin slices of beef meat, add salt and let it to dry at sun, on a rope. The meat is ready when it's all dry and crispy, nothing of humidity. After that, use a mallet to tenderize the meat and use your fingers to shreded it . Now is time to use it for the receipe of Machaca con huevos.

B)

post-72929-0-79236900-1297616113_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

corned beef is just cured or brined then boiled beef brisket.....this canned kind is a really poor version of it

you can get real corned beef from Simon the butcher at Top's Central Chidlom...but have to order in advance

then as a brunch/breakfast hash with potatoes, onions and a fried egg as well as any other spices you want to add, it is truly delicious

its a staple diner food in the USA

• 3 weeks later...

To add a bit of clarity here:

Corned beef in England comes in tins a la Fray Bentos which is sliced thickly and with onions makes a very nice toasted sandwich or oven cooked with sliced potatoes and onions a tasty meal - this is known as corned beef hash in the north of England, or stewed bugs and onions as my late father always called it. It was his favourite meal.

When we first moved to Australia, I was in a supermarket and saw a joint of corned beef which was a lot cheaper than any others. I bought it and like every green Pom before me, I put it in a roasting tin and into the oven it went.

Bork!

Apparently, you're supposed to boil it, but for the remainder of my 18 years in Aus, I didn't bother trying it again. I still remember the taste. I have no idea what American corned beef is, but from reading the posts here I am imagining that it's nothing like either the English or Antipodean version. I've got me a hankering for a corned beef toastie now.

Correct. SOS is only palatable if you've been sitting in a foxhole for six weeks and there are artillery shells bursting everywhere in the direction of any kind of real food. Corned Beef Hash OTH CAN be delicacy if prepared in the right setting by the right cook. That setting might be a logging camp or a fishing trawler and the chef will be half drunken, whiskered, stinks, and answers to the name of "Cookie". Man, that's good eating, though your cardiologist may disagree.

PS: Cookie will have used about 3 times more Corned Beef to potatoes ratio than that depicted in the photo provided.

• 1 month later...