Do Prices Come Down?

DocHolliday2006

Only hotels & flights get cheaper in low season. Definitions of low / high season by hotels differ from silly to billy.

Silly:

http://pattayabayresort.com/Rates.aspx

5 tier graded system:

http://www.sabaiinn.com/internet_rates.html

Billy:

(Dec / Jan)

http://canterburytalescafe.com/pages/home.php

I can't speak for the rest of Thailand, I only holiday in Pattaya; I like the beach you see.:whistling:

Re: Thai (stupid) Economics 101 & 102:

Groucho: "That's in every contract; that's what you call a sanity clause."

Chico: "You can't-a fool-a me there-a ain't no sanity clause"

The Marx Brothers in A Night at the Opera

Edited by jazzbo

The best prices I've ever found are in those holiday fairs they have from time to time in Bangkok. You have to book 6 month in advance, during low season, not really flexible, but you can really book a top hotel for an unbeatable price.

Sense #1 Does it get cheaper in Thailand by March/April? Later?

Sense #2 if and only if (in most cases) you are willing to ask.

Sense #3 Always nice to see a sliver of sense on the forum;

... and be sure to ask them nicely to lower their rates during Songkran smack in the middle of April

Sense #1 Does it get cheaper in Thailand by March/April? Later?

Sense #2 if and only if (in most cases) you are willing to ask.

Sense #3 Always nice to see a sliver of sense on the forum;

... and be sure to ask them nicely to lower their rates during Songkran smack in the middle of April

and how long exactly does this songkran spike of activity last....?

I take it then that you've never been in Bangkok during Songkhran...

No, you win... all the working girls leave BKK too so it's sure to be fun. I'd guess (as per the OP's other request) Chiang Mai during the burn & smoke season is also a bargain...

Sigh! Another stupid ex-pat myth that bar-room 'experts' like to perpetuate in #2 and #3.

Yes. Prices can drop and considerably however if and only if (in most cases) you are willing to ask.

It's not a myth at all.

Many, many places in Thailand are known to up their prices to compensate when business volumes are low. I've observed it myself.

Having said that, prices do generally drop at tourist destinations during the low seasons.

I couldn't say... Why not? It seems to have worked for you at least omce.

Don't judge everyone by your standards...

Many, many places in Thailand are known to up their prices to compensate when business volumes are low. I've observed it myself.

Like where? Any examples or too much Stickman?

Having said that, prices do generally drop at tourist destinations during the low seasons.

How to say one thing in one sentence and contradict yourself the next 101.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

I didn't contradict myself at all, "many many places" does not mean everywhere, does it? I've not researched the matter but it's not too great a leap in logic to think that maybe international travel agents and international chains might have a say in prices, meaning that tourist destinations tend to use a more western approach to pricing.

Bars, pubs, nightclubs, restaurants that are privately owned by Thai's are often know to raise their prices to compensate for lost revenue. I don't read stickman and as per my post, it is something that I have observed myself. It is actually something that I noticed before anybody else pointed it out to me, I'm able to think for myself.

Edited by Moonrakers

Evidence?

Don't be a smart ass, you know that can't be done. Or can you provide evidence that it is a myth?

As I've already said I've observed it myself and even had conversations about it with managers/owners in Bangkok and Koh Samet. You are trying to tell me that something I have witnessed does not exist.

If you don't want to believe me, then that's entirely up to you.

Edited by Moonrakers

. and be sure to ask them nicely to lower their rates during Songkran smack in the middle of April

I take it then that you've never been in Bangkok during Songkhran.

It's virtually empty in comparison to the rest of the year. It's a great time to haggle for a deal in hotels.

Are there any riots planned for Songkran in BKK this year???

So you can't answer?

If I were a troll then I would be trying to get a rise surely?

I have made a valid point and asked a valid question.

If you can reply then do so.

If you can't then admit you are spouting nonsense.

TAWP: I never said what I am a heavy drinker of. If you want to have a go at people with stupid handles then look at yourself....

Only a member with nothing to offer the thread would mention anyone's handle...

TAWP: I never said what I am a heavy drinker of. If you want to have a go at people with stupid handles then look at yourself....

I never said you said you did - I said your handle was...

Only a member with nothing to offer the thread would mention anyone's handle...

I agree, my only offer to this thread was expressing my disappointment with you and your posts.

And my nick is an acronym. One day you might figure it out.