Haveli Indian Restaurant

in case you don't know, one of the major Brownie points of Penang are the Indian restaurants over there......

somehow you don't want to reach for the stars, living on Samui by not thinking about Indian restaurants in.....India....

I do know thanks & i've eaten enough in my time but i'll say it again..

Penang ??

An Indian Curry ??

:unsure:

Dear MSingh,

Penang is an Island "Pulao Penang" in Malaysia.

Paneng is a red hot type thai curry and yes, nothing to do with "indian curries", nor anythng to do with penang island.

And most if not all of the restaurants and food found on Penang are southern indian run by tamil people, the food is throughout good, some places excellent!

As there is NOT such a thing like an "indian curry" we would have to open a thread on "indian cuisine and recepies" to clarify what the indian subcontinent has to offer on culinary delights - been there many times it's quite a stir and love the incredible nuances and varieties!

on the other hand, even with it's slight chinese influence, thai cuisine is quite outstanding too, I love it!

Dear Samuian,

Firstly, please don't refer to me again like you would an 8 Year Year old Child.

Secondly, i know where Penang is, i've bene there numerous times..

Thirdly, Haveli is an Indian Restaraunt, why the <deleted> would anyone even suggest it would have a Penang Curry on teh Menu, a dish that is from Malaysia/Thailand ?? It's like going into an Italian Restaraunt & ordering Pie, Mash & Jellied fcukign Eels.

Fourth, have a poptastic weekend.

Mushrooms.

:cheesy:

Anyone in Lamai planning on going any time let me know? The company don't do delivery :( and would love to check the food out without a 1000 baht taxi ride on top!

daytime songtheaow prices: Lamai - Bangrak ~100 Baht.

Take a Lamai songthaeow to the parking next to Samui International Hospital for 60 THB and from there to Haveli for 40 THB.

or to the Bophut crossroad for 60 THB and from there another to Haveli for 30 THB.

in case you don't know, one of the major Brownie points of Penang are the Indian restaurants over there......

somehow you don't want to reach for the stars, living on Samui by not thinking about Indian restaurants in.....India....

I do know thanks & i've eaten enough in my time but i'll say it again..

Penang ??

An Indian Curry ??

:unsure:

Dear MSingh,

Penang is an Island "Pulao Penang" in Malaysia.

Paneng is a red hot type thai curry and yes, nothing to do with "indian curries", nor anythng to do with penang island.

And most if not all of the restaurants and food found on Penang are southern indian run by tamil people, the food is throughout good, some places excellent!

As there is NOT such a thing like an "indian curry" we would have to open a thread on "indian cuisine and recepies" to clarify what the indian subcontinent has to offer on culinary delights - been there many times it's quite a stir and love the incredible nuances and varieties!

on the other hand, even with it's slight chinese influence, thai cuisine is quite outstanding too, I love it!

Dear Samuian,

Firstly, please don't refer to me again like you would an 8 Year Year old Child.

Secondly, i know where Penang is, i've bene there numerous times..

Thirdly, Haveli is an Indian Restaraunt, why the <deleted> would anyone even suggest it would have a Penang Curry on teh Menu, a dish that is from Malaysia/Thailand ?? It's like going into an Italian Restaraunt & ordering Pie, Mash & Jellied fcukign Eels.

Fourth, have a poptastic weekend.

Mushrooms.

You are right singh but wasting your time. I'm getting the drift that H2O ain't concerned either way and just likes eating vast quantities of curry...and why not!!

I stopped listening to samuian's rubbish a long time ago. :)

Well spotted Carmine :thumbsup: Don't give a flying xxxxxx but as said do like eating lots of curry. :D

Anybody heading down there today ? I may take the teelak down to try some as well. Be warned though I didn't eat hardly anything yesterday so I hope you have plenty ;)

I was there today. The food was OK, however if I remember correctly, the chicken and the dal dishes was the same as last Sunday, so was a bit dissapointed.

IMO, the buffet is an excellent oppurtunity for Haveli to feature their various dishes so people can get to know them.

The cumin rice was refreshing since last week was plain basmati rice.

However, I am not sure if today's cumin rice was basmati rice or just local Thai rice. The cumin rice looked a bit too "sticky" to be basmati, however the grains did look like it was basmati. Perhaps it's the cumin mixing process which makes the rice sticky?

IMO, only 100% basmati rice should be provided at an Indian restaurant.

Next Sunday, I will have to call in advance and ask what the dishes are.

Edited by Mole

I was there today. The food was OK, however if I remember correctly, the chicken and the dal dishes was the same as last Sunday, so was a bit dissapointed.

IMO, the buffet is an excellent oppurtunity for Haveli to feature their various dishes so people can get to know them.

The cumin rice was refreshing since last week was plain basmati rice.

However, I am not sure if today's cumin rice was basmati rice or just local Thai rice. The cumin rice looked a bit too "sticky" to be basmati, however the grains did look like it was basmati. Perhaps it's the cumin mixing process which makes the rice sticky?

IMO, only 100% basmati rice should be provided at an Indian restaurant.

Next Sunday, I will have to call in advance and ask what the dishes are.

Thanks for the review Mole,

How busy was it? Hopefully this promo will still be runing when I get back.....!

Same dishes as last week?? Maybe they were flying out the door....:rolleyes:

Last week I was the only one there, but I came a bit late (almost 3 PM) because of the rain. They only had the chicken and dal and the rice and plate of vegetables were hardly touched.

Yesterday, there were more people. A group of almost 10 farangs were also there. Tourists I think. There were also another table of group of friends (also farangs) who may have been residents (don't really know though).

So, I'd say it was probably a good day for Haveli.

Same chicken and dal dish as last week, but they had additional dish (I don't remember the name) which contains potatoes and I think also vegetarian (dal was also vegetarian)

I think 1 chicken dish + 1 vegetarian + 1 fish should be not too expensive to make?

Surely, they should be able to look for some fresh local fish at a reasonable price. There are many local fishing communities who I think is more than happy to supply.

Lamb is probably too much to ask for, but first time I ate at Haveli about a year ago (also only person in the restaurant around 9 PM) I already had one of their lamb dishes.

But if they do advertise lamb on one of their buffet, I'm sure there will be many people coming (I surely will).

Last week I was the only one there, but I came a bit late (almost 3 PM) because of the rain. They only had the chicken and dal and the rice and plate of vegetables were hardly touched.

Yesterday, there were more people. A group of almost 10 farangs were also there. Tourists I think. There were also another table of group of friends (also farangs) who may have been residents (don't really know though).

So, I'd say it was probably a good day for Haveli.

Same chicken and dal dish as last week, but they had additional dish (I don't remember the name) which contains potatoes and I think also vegetarian (dal was also vegetarian)

I think 1 chicken dish + 1 vegetarian + 1 fish should be not too expensive to make?

Surely, they should be able to look for some fresh local fish at a reasonable price. There are many local fishing communities who I think is more than happy to supply.

Lamb is probably too much to ask for, but first time I ate at Haveli about a year ago (also only person in the restaurant around 9 PM) I already had one of their lamb dishes.

But if they do advertise lamb on one of their buffet, I'm sure there will be many people coming (I surely will).

Lamb Rogan Josh at Haveli is a joy...as is the lamb wrap......no lamb dishes on the buffet? Oh dear oh dear.....:o

If its indeed too expensive then surely as you say a fish or prawn dish should be offered as an alternative.....carnivorous lot aint we! :D

The most popular Indian dish in the UK is chicken tikka massala

unheard of in India.

Maybe it depends on which part of India you are in. Here in Dubai Chicken Tikka Massala is my favorite at the local dive restaurant which is run and operated by Indians/Pakistanis. Most of its clientele are from southern Asia and I'm probably one of the very few Westerners who orders from them - or even know the place exists..

Edited by koheesti

I just called and a lady told me it wouldn't be the same as last week, so I will take the trip there and have a look.

The buffet is only 200 bt, so I'm OK with what you get for the price. Normally, it would be over 200 if a la carte.

But if there's only one chicken dish and the rest vegetarian as last week again, I may not go so often, maybe once a month or something.

If they did splash up with some fish, or lamb :D or at leat 2 different chicken dishes, I'd definately go every Sunday.

I just called and a lady told me it wouldn't be the same as last week, so I will take the trip there and have a look.

The buffet is only 200 bt, so I'm OK with what you get for the price. Normally, it would be over 200 if a la carte.

But if there's only one chicken dish and the rest vegetarian as last week again, I may not go so often, maybe once a month or something.

If they did splash up with some fish, or lamb :D or at leat 2 different chicken dishes, I'd definately go every Sunday.

Better enjoy while you can.....when I get back the motto will be "Get your seat earlier!" :whistling::rolleyes::D