Haveli Indian Restaurant

Hello to all in the ThaiVisa Samui Forum.

As many of you know, we have been preparing and serving authentic Indian cuisine here on Samui for the last two years. We were delighted with the responses we have received due to a recent posting on your forum and would like to thank both ThaiVisa for the opportunity to work together, as well as to thank each of the forum members who contributed comments and/or suggestions, your feedback is appreciated.

Whereas the main purpose of that posting was to alert everyone to our new Sunday Buffet, we would like to use this occasion to let you all know that we were reading and listening to your comments and suggestions and are in the process now of implementing new specials and promotions based on your feedback.

Please visit our website at:

http://www.havelisamui.com/ for new promotions or to register for our Resident's card which entitles the holder to a 20% discount on our regular food menu. You may of course feel free to PM us with any future comments, or better yet, stop in and say hello.

Thank you!

Haveli Staff

Edited by Rooo
Activated link.

in case you don't know, one of the major Brownie points of Penang are the Indian restaurants over there......

somehow you don't want to reach for the stars, living on Samui by not thinking about Indian restaurants in.....India....

Edited by Birdman

in case you don't know, one of the major Brownie points of Penang are the Indian restaurants over there......

somehow you don't want to reach for the stars, living on Samui by not thinking about Indian restaurants in.....India....

I do know thanks & i've eaten enough in my time but i'll say it again..

Penang ??

An Indian Curry ??

:unsure:

Penang ??

An Indian Curry ??

Haveli's curries are in the main more in the English style....which is a good thing in my opinion. I did however suggest a coulpe of more Indian regional options.

Maybe if they appear on the menu I'll look forward to suggesting a few more.

Can't comment on Penang's Indian restaurants though as I've never tried 'em.

I would say that Haveli's Indian grub is by far the best I've had on Samui.....and better than in many English curry houses. ;)

Thats one of the best things about Penang...great Indian food.....even better than the curries in the UK

MSingh In Penang there is an area called Little India. There are lots of excellent restaurants and Indian supermarkets where you can stock up on all your spices and sauces. Penang curry is a style of curry made famous from the place. A bit like a Massaman curry you get here and usually served with a roti. That is one of the good things on doing your visa run there. I'm going to drive down there next month and bring a good supply back with me rather than some squeezed into the overnight bag :D The prices there are so cheap compared to Thailand and especially Samui. :o

Penang ??

An Indian Curry ??

Dear MSingh,

Penang is an Island "Pulao Penang" in Malaysia.

Paneng is a red hot type thai curry and yes, nothing to do with "indian curries", nor anythng to do with penang island.

And most if not all of the restaurants and food found on Penang are southern indian run by tamil people, the food is throughout good, some places excellent!

As there is NOT such a thing like an "indian curry" we would have to open a thread on "indian cuisine and recepies" to clarify what the indian subcontinent has to offer on culinary delights - been there many times it's quite a stir and love the incredible nuances and varieties!

on the other hand, even with it's slight chinese influence, thai cuisine is quite outstanding too, I love it!

Edited by Samuian

The most popular Indian dish in the UK is chicken tikka massala

unheard of in India. A UK style Indian bears little resemblance to actual Indian food in the same way as UK Chinese is nothing like a Dutch Chinese or a German Chinese or a kebab in the UK is nothing like I have ever had in Greece :D Food tends to be made to regional tastes rather than copied identically.

unheard of in India. A UK style Indian bears little resemblance to actual Indian food in the same way as UK Chinese is nothing like a Dutch Chinese or a German Chinese or a kebab in the UK is nothing like I have ever had in Greece :D Food tends to be made to regional tastes rather than copied identically.

And a KFC fillet burger in Thailand bares no resemblance to a KFC fillet buger in England...or infact any resemblance to chicken for that matter. ;)

And a KFC fillet burger in Thailand bares no resemblance to a KFC fillet buger in England...or infact any resemblance to chicken for that matter. ;)

The UK KFC fillet burger don't taste like chicken either. I went home to wy wee village in Scotland for a holiday some years back and was served up a lasagne....without pasta. How does that work then? :D

bit off topic, but the KFC Zinger burger does make me angry here, why do they use horrible dark leg meat for there burgers?? , why not breast meat like in the UK... also the hash brown and cheese MAKES the KFC zinger burger complete which they dont do here

bit off topic, but the KFC Zinger burger does make me angry here, why do they use horrible dark leg meat for there burgers?? , why not breast meat like in the UK... also the hash brown and cheese MAKES the KFC zinger burger complete which they dont do here

Because like most things here, they like to charge top dollar for substandard product.

A word to the wise for those going to Kota Baru on a visa run. The KFC burgers in Malaysia are absolutely disgusting.

Back to Haveli. Once you have registered do you then walk in there to collect your privalge card?

Lunch Buffet every Sunday from 12-3 199thb p.p.

Many items from our regular menu appear in the buffet, from naan to chicken tikka and everything in between.

New Happy Hour drink and food specials starting Monday 7 Feb. Monday through Friday from 4pm to 7pm-

*Singha, Tiger and Chang beers 50 baht and chicken or veggie wraps 99 baht*

Lunch Buffet every Sunday from 12-3 199thb p.p.

Many items from our regular menu appear in the buffet, from naan to chicken tikka and everything in between.

New Happy Hour drink and food specials starting Monday 7 Feb. Monday through Friday from 4pm to 7pm-

*Singha, Tiger and Chang beers 50 baht and chicken or veggie wraps 99 baht*

I guess the opening hours have changed then? Like the 4-7pm deal btw but could you post the new opening times.

Thanks.

Penang ??

An Indian Curry ??

Dear MSingh,

Penang is an Island "Pulao Penang" in Malaysia.

Paneng is a red hot type thai curry and yes, nothing to do with "indian curries", nor anythng to do with penang island.

And most if not all of the restaurants and food found on Penang are southern indian run by tamil people, the food is throughout good, some places excellent!

As there is NOT such a thing like an "indian curry" we would have to open a thread on "indian cuisine and recepies" to clarify what the indian subcontinent has to offer on culinary delights - been there many times it's quite a stir and love the incredible nuances and varieties!

on the other hand, even with it's slight chinese influence, thai cuisine is quite outstanding too, I love it!

Dear Samuian,

Firstly, please don't refer to me again like you would an 8 Year Year old Child.

Secondly, i know where Penang is, i've bene there numerous times..

Thirdly, Haveli is an Indian Restaraunt, why the <deleted> would anyone even suggest it would have a Penang Curry on teh Menu, a dish that is from Malaysia/Thailand ?? It's like going into an Italian Restaraunt & ordering Pie, Mash & Jellied fcukign Eels.

Fourth, have a poptastic weekend.

Mushrooms.

Thai KFC's don't do Chicken Fillet Burgers, trust me i'd know...:rolleyes:

The island is called Penang, while the Thai curry is called พะแนง which can be written as: paneng, phaneng, phanaeng or panaeng.

MSingh, nobody mentioned anything about the dish paneng (which I'm quite sure people here knows is not Indian dish) till you manage to mix up Penang and paneng.

Edited by Mole

many, many moons ago, when I lived in Patty, there was a restaurant where the schnitzel was so big, you couldn't eat it all. So everyone ordered a Schnitzel with an alu foil(to take the huge rest home....).

Is that also the case here? (just to be probably prepared.....)