Need A Good Tile Dude Or Dudette In Cr

kandahar

Anyone with knowledge of a good tile layer that might be available, please let me know, here or via PM. Need a phone number or other way of contacting said tradesperson. It is a small job, about 25 square meters. Looking for someone fast and very good. I know of several but they are either committed to other jobs right now or are off for the holidays. I'm impatient and would like to have it done right away.

Thanks

A subcontracting firm would go well but a man-power type place would do better. If there were a one-stop place to go with requests for skilled labor, maids, cooks, nurses and such, the little company would make a handsome percentage on all of the referrals they made. However, I would pity them, trying to keep a good work force lined up. That would be one tough job in this town. If I thought it wasn't a pain in the ass, I would have set the wife up with that business two years ago.

You'd need to shop around, but it would take good local language skills.

Every time you drove past a building site, call in, check the workmanship and take names and numbers.

There's some guys finishing a tiling job in our village, a block of shopfront places.

No. I won't go and see them, come out and look for yourself... :lol:

The amount of requests we get here for tradespersons it's surprising some entrepreneurial farang hasn't started up a small subcontracting firm.

But then I suppose once farang overheads were added few would want to pay the prices. :whistling:

That happened already a long time ago Scea!

He offers a lot of services concerning (re-)construction works,

home improvement and maintenance, yes, even gardening and dog walking

is on his list!

I have not experienced his services yet and I have no idea about

his prices.

Just google to handyman Chiang Rai for more information.

At your service,

Limbo :yohan:

Every time you drove past a building site, call in, check the workmanship and take names and numbers.

There's some guys finishing a tiling job in our village, a block of shopfront places.

Go have a look and let me know how they are doing. Then take down their info and send it to me. If the report is good, I'll contact you and you can negotiate the price with them. If that works out, then go ahead and load them up and deliver them here. You'll need to stay to supervise. Oh, and bring your tools for them to borrow also.

Thanks all. Looks like we will have a team here in about 20 minutes. However, if any more of you have recommendations, go ahead and post. I know another guy who is looking for the same. I think he needs them this coming week. The guys coming to my place are doing it as a favor and will go ahead with other commitments after they are done here.

Go have a look and let me know how they are doing. Then take down their info and send it to me. If the report is good, I'll contact you and you can negotiate the price with them. If that works out, then go ahead and load them up and deliver them here. You'll need to stay to supervise. Oh, and bring your tools for them to borrow also.

God dash it, I just went down to do all that and they have packed up and gone.

There were a couple of guys finishing off there but they only spoke Red Karen.

I seem to have missed that one... B)

The amount of requests we get here for tradespersons it's surprising some entrepreneurial farang hasn't started up a small subcontracting firm.

But then I suppose once farang overheads were added few would want to pay the prices. :whistling:

That happened already a long time ago Scea!

He offers a lot of services concerning (re-)construction works,

home improvement and maintenance, yes, even gardening and dog walking

is on his list!

I have not experienced his services yet and I have no idea about

his prices.

Just google to handyman Chiang Rai for more information.

At your service,

Limbo, I have a list of local tradesmen available for most jobs, however I will not recommend them to anyone.

For a start I doubt they would travel more than an easy motorcy ride and if their work isn't up to the standard required it comes back on me.

OK, there may not be a direct complaint but if the employer happens to casually mention that the new wall collapsed on his wife and two kids I'll still feel bad about it. :(

Edited by sceadugenga

Limbo, I have a list of local tradesmen available for most jobs, however I will not recommend them to anyone.

For a start I doubt they would travel more than an easy motorcy ride and if their work isn't up to the standard required it comes back on me.

I know exactly what you mean, it's an old tune :violin:

Quite recently I recommended a craftsman to somebody, one I had experienced as good

and reliable. Later I heard that this talented young chap had sent his much lesser

talented brother-in-law in stead. The rest of the story you can guess!

The idea of having a communicative middleman/supervisor isn't bad though.

I would happily be prepared to pay more if it meant that the delegation of

a predictable and thus unavoidable headache would be included in the price.

Sometimes, if not mostly, it is better to pay a little bit more to assure

yourself of good service and peace of mind. After all: Best is cheapest!

The brother of the neighbour of your wife's nephews best friend might me a

lovely person and very good with children and dogs, but might not always be

the best alternative, even if he only charges 250 Baht for hanging around a

couple of hours a day.

Looking at the associates of the handyman chiang rai I would guess

that he is able to deliver quality.

I have also seen good results when groups of friends here in Chiang Rai create

temporary 'working communities' and choose to do jobs by themselves.

Like a kind of a daily party with work, music, nice food and an early happy hour.

There is a lot of expertise among us ...

This is an advertisement:

My brothers in law and their friends are G D good in construction whatever you want. They all have their own skills like electricity, waterworks, welding etc. Together they are a team.

Just call Loi, the chief, on nr: 085040188. Pasa Thai only!!

Edited by cmjantje

• 3 weeks later...

I know exactly what you mean, it's an old tune :violin:

Quite recently I recommended a craftsman to somebody, one I had experienced as good

and reliable. Later I heard that this talented young chap had sent his much lesser

talented brother-in-law in stead. The rest of the story you can guess!

The idea of having a communicative middleman/supervisor isn't bad though.

I would happily be prepared to pay more if it meant that the delegation of

a predictable and thus unavoidable headache would be included in the price.

Sometimes, if not mostly, it is better to pay a little bit more to assure

yourself of good service and peace of mind. After all: Best is cheapest!

The brother of the neighbour of your wife's nephews best friend might me a

lovely person and very good with children and dogs, but might not always be

the best alternative, even if he only charges 250 Baht for hanging around a

couple of hours a day.

Looking at the associates of the handyman chiang rai I would guess

that he is able to deliver quality.

Like a kind of a daily party with work, music, nice food and an early happy hour.

I would think that most of you are already built-in and settled....that is, already with homes and such. Having been a custom home builder in another life-time and far away....not to mention a marine mechanic for almost a decade....I oversaw the construction of our house and did all of the plumbing design, layout and installation...with my imaginary, invisible Thai apprentice of course....we aren't allowed to legally do anything a Thai worker is able to do here (I did mention plumbing, did I not?)....and I am willing to offer my two to three satangs worth on any related topic to any of the TV members if requested. I am more than willing to help those that help themselves....meaning I won't come and do the work for you. I have been around the block or two and have acquired many an insight and lots of tips to offer. PM me if you ever need advice or whatever....ett

Quote: "Having been a custom home builder in another life-time and far away".

Hello, my new best friend.laugh.gif

As for working on your own place, building, gardening, painting and such, I don't think it is disallowed. Maybe I'm wrong. As far as I know (and I don't know too far), working for money is what is disallowed. I have yet to see a ruling that says you can't take care of, build or maintain your own home. Working for a profit (or most likely a loss in this country) isn't a no-go.

Hi Kd how's things with you? :)

Whist it's probably ok to work on your own home, as in fixing things or building a fence or something. Strictly speaking, I believe it's still restricted. The fact that you're not earning money for it doesn't come into the definition of 'working'.

In practical terms, you'll most likely not come a cropper, but it is possible. Even volunteers are supposed to have work permits.

Biff

Oh, I have my work permit in order....of course it is only for University of Phayao....and our house is not really close to there....guess that's why it is called, "Midnight Plumbing"...Actually I sat back with my ice cold (okay there is no such thing in LOS...) beer and directed Som-chi (the Thai apprentice I had helping me) on what, how and when to do certain things. He really did do all the work...and I remunerated him handsomely. But one has to realize why they do not manufacture airplanes here. ett