Am I Going To Kill My Dogs ?

I'm home alone with my three big puppies (average 25 Kg :D !)

I feed them 2 meals a day, one is dog food, the other meat with leftovers and rice.

I noticed we have plenty of old meat in the freezer, most past sale by date. I was thinking if I boiled it long enough it should be safe to eat for my dogs, right ?

Bacteria grows in meat even if it is frozen but it grows very slowly. Boiling will kill most but not all bacteria. Pressure cooking will kill just about anything.

Chances are the meat is fine and just dried out by long freezing.

Try feeding it to the dog you like the least first and see what happens.

Bacteria grows in meat even if it is frozen but it grows very slowly. Boiling will kill most but not all bacteria. Pressure cooking will kill just about anything.

Thanks for the advise

I'm going to invite my neighbor for a BBQ tonight, and if he's fine tomorrow, I'll give the leftovers to my boys.

Great idea !

Thanks for the advise

I'm going to invite my neighbor for a BBQ tonight, and if he's fine tomorrow, I'll give the leftovers to my boys.

Great idea !

:lol:

Umm, my dog used to love dirty kleenexes too. Doesn't mean it was good for him.

If you are the one that will clean up the diarhea or vomit, why not......

However if you have a wife or girlfriend, then ask permission first. I'm just suggesting if you value your life.............. ;)

Umm, my dog used to love dirty kleenexes too. Doesn't mean it was good for him.

If you are the one that will clean up the diarhea or vomit, why not......

However if you have a wife or girlfriend, then ask permission first. I'm just suggesting if you value your life.............. ;)

What my gf has to do with that ? We are not talking about the wallpaper in the living room.

Thanks for the advise

Great idea !

:lol:

lol

I would try it on the neighbors too, rather than risking any dog, soi or not :)

Actually, I disagree.

I had a dog that ended up with pancreatitis a few years ago after I fed her some meat that had just turned the slightest bit. I figured, "she is a dog, she can handle it." Man, was I wrong. She almost died, and she was in excruciating pain.

I had to take her to the vet, and it was not affordable. Poor girl almost died.

Just my experience.

Actually, I disagree.

I had a dog that ended up with pancreatitis a few years ago after I fed her some meat that had just turned the slightest bit. I figured, "she is a dog, she can handle it." Man, was I wrong. She almost died, and she was in excruciating pain.

I had to take her to the vet, and it was not affordable. Poor girl almost died.

Just my experience.

I understand but sometime it's just bad luck

When I was a kid, we used to travel a lot with my family. We knew about not to drink ice, be careful with fresh vegetable ... we didn't really care and we were fine.

In Switzerland, it is supposed to be the safest country in Europe, right ? We had dinner in a very respectable restaurant, the whole family was sick for almost a week !!!!

Edited by JurgenG

My dogs eat any rubbish they can find, much to my horror (bearing in mind I only feed them the best)!

Even so, I wouldn't give them 'gone off' meat - even though they would happily eat it.

At the end of the day, dogs have a far superior digestive system than people, they can cope with pretty much anything - but we dog-lovers don't want to take the chance.

Who can blame us? Ma9 etc. has shown that sometimes it can make them v ill indeed.

Edited by F1fanatic

I heard about a bloke from where I used to work who lived alone with his 2 little dogs.

He dropped dead in the kitchen and over the course of a couple of weeks they ate most his head.

They are still alive.

lol...

We have 5 dogs, four soi and one is supposedly a purebred...and guess what ..she is the one the gets sick! ( ongoing bouts of mange buffalo drill/tick invasions etc . The rest just keep on ticking ( no Pun).

My point being that in-bred more domestic/house/lap animals seem more susceptible to problems be it digestive or other.... ( "my daddy married his sister but that didna affect me dugh!")

That said all our dogs ingest the most disgusting things ...from drinking latex out of the cups to geckos, dead birds etc..funnily enough they kill rats around the farm but don't eat 'em....

Okay gotta run... need to take another Imodium

Thanks for all the replies. But when thinking about it, I control more or less what my dogs eat but definitively not what they drink. They drink from whatever waterhole that is on their way, no matter how filthy it is.

They love to swim but don't seem to really master the technique. They keep their mouth open and drink a lot of water. On the beach, with salty water, you can imagine the result ....

I heard about a bloke from where I used to work who lived alone with his 2 little dogs.

He dropped dead in the kitchen and over the course of a couple of weeks they ate most his head.

They are still alive.

lol...

We have 5 dogs, four soi and one is supposedly a purebred...and guess what ..she is the one the gets sick! ( ongoing bouts of mange buffalo drill/tick invasions etc . The rest just keep on ticking ( no Pun).

My point being that in-bred more domestic/house/lap animals seem more susceptible to problems be it digestive or other.... ( "my daddy married his sister but that didna affect me dugh!")

That said all our dogs ingest the most disgusting things ...from drinking latex out of the cups to geckos, dead birds etc..funnily enough they kill rats around the farm but don't eat 'em....

Not surprising that pure-bred is the problem child. Natural Selection works fast. Soi dogs evolve from rather different criteria than than those bred by us. Gotta love 'em all though. Been suggested that I'm in fact 'peeing in the shallow end of the gene-pool' myself. Persistent little recessives...

If you have trouble dealing with the mange on the purebred PM me. What breed? M/F? Desexed?

The uneaten rats - they'll bury more of them than you find, then wait for them to 'ripen'(slow earth oven at around 35C for a month or 2 seems to do it) and then reap what they sewed. If not quite at it's use-by date they'll eat some greens, throw it all up and re-taste in an hour or so. After a bellyfull of this Canine Culinary Delight they will come inside and lovingly lick your face. Suspect they get rid of the worst of the bacteria by this transfer of bodily fluids. Evolution always working...

The Geckos - best avoided and removed from diet if possible. Can make dogs sick I think. The Geckos agree. The mosquitos around the light dodging the Geckos disagree. They'll be choosing a shirt colour next!!

Gotta love 'em all though. Did I say that twice. What an arse - oops.

Most importantly - did you make the it to the Immodium in time. Not many things worse than starting off running slowly, then thinking maybe you should run a little faster, then finishing up walking like you're chewing a Mintie up your arse!! Can you say 'arse' here? Twice??

Edited by andrew55

They are still alive.

lol...

Not surprising that pure-bred is the problem child. Natural Selection works fast. Soi dogs evolve from rather different criteria than than those bred by us. Gotta love 'em all though. Been suggested that I'm in fact 'peeing in the shallow end of the gene-pool' myself. Persistent little recessives...

If you have trouble dealing with the mange on the purebred PM me. What breed? M/F? Desexed?

The uneaten rats - they'll bury more of them than you find, then wait for them to 'ripen'(slow earth oven at around 35C for a month or 2 seems to do it) and then reap what they sewed. If not quite at it's use-by date they'll eat some greens, throw it all up and re-taste in an hour or so. After a bellyfull of this Canine Culinary Delight they will come inside and lovingly lick your face. Suspect they get rid of the worst of the bacteria by this transfer of bodily fluids. Evolution always working...

The Geckos - best avoided and removed from diet if possible. Can make dogs sick I think. The Geckos agree. The mosquitos around the light dodging the Geckos disagree. They'll be choosing a shirt colour next!!

Gotta love 'em all though. Did I say that twice. What an arse - oops.

Most importantly - did you make the it to the Immodium in time. Not many things worse than starting off running slowly, then thinking maybe you should run a little faster, then finishing up walking like you're chewing a Mintie up your arse!! Can you say 'arse' here? Twice??

good stuff mate gave me giggle...not far from the big white telephone so not a problem..since you're vivid description of doggy eating habits..also brought up my breakfast. ..Mr Creosote is not in it.....lol

I give the shepherd jabs every month of Ivermec seems to do the trick and some powder stuff in the worm holes ( she has not had 'em for a month or two..maybe they are out of season..) she is not de-sexed and stupid compared to the soi dogs ..gotta believe she is a runt poor girl .. oh well she loves everybody unfortunately (not reciprocated mostly given her jump and lick tactics.)...and kills the odd snake so I guess she is a keeper

cheers mate.....(now supplementing the Imodium with Endothalyl) :bah:

I've had dogs for over 20 years and they have all eaten whatever dead nasty stuff they could get their little noses on and managed just fine. My last dog died at the ripe old age of 16 (and yes he was a Thai dog).

the things that have killed my dogs have been cancer (from those awful depo provera injections to avoid pregnanacy) and old age.

In my experience, the problems come with purebred dogs which have weak immune systems, and with dogs which are too coddled. Mine run wild in a 3-rai plot, and go out for a 2-hour walk every morning. God knows what they eat and drink, but it doesn't seem to do them any harm. The one which has most tick problems is the nearest to purebred; the real mix-and-match (which I fondly call a GSX) has few problems with ticks.

Frankly, I think it's largely a matter of luck; not being too fussy has certainly not harmed my dogs (and that's over a 35-year period).