Bricks Or Blocks?

trainman34014

I wonder if all retired builders out there can help me with a bit of information. Planning an extension to side of bungalow; size 4m long x 2m wide x 3m high. Roof will be steel bars as per original Moobahn construction with 'proper' tiles.

Question is can I build with the blocks that I see being used in Thailand for some building jobs or should I stick with those horrid little bricks they use? I don't know the make-up of the blocks so don't know if they are strong enough to take the weight of an extension like this.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Well, this is Thailand so any wall will not be load-bearing. Construction in Thailand is almost guaranteed to be post & beam, meaning that the weight of anything will be carried by steel-enforced concrete posts. (Or wooden posts, of course; construction in Thailand essentially has not changed from when houses were built on wooden stilts, it's just that the materials have changed.

So then for the walls, which are really just fill-in. The cheapo bricks are cheaper, but they have some negative qualities :

* Size is not uniform, so it's harder to built a wall with them. The result tends to be a mess, but that's not a problem because they then render it with cement so it will look smooth.

* Walls of this type will heat up more and retain heat more if they're exposed to the sun.

So for these reasons you may want to go with those white Q-con blocks which are light, uniform in size and don't retain heat. They're actually so light they float on water! So they'd be an excellent choice if the extension is an area you live in and if it's exposed to the sun. If this is for a garage or whatever then I would not bother.

Well, this is Thailand so any wall will not be load-bearing. Construction in Thailand is almost guaranteed to be post & beam, meaning that the weight of anything will be carried by steel-enforced concrete posts. (Or wooden posts, of course; construction in Thailand essentially has not changed from when houses were built on wooden stilts, it's just that the materials have changed.

So then for the walls, which are really just fill-in. The cheapo bricks are cheaper, but they have some negative qualities :

* Size is not uniform, so it's harder to built a wall with them. The result tends to be a mess, but that's not a problem because they then render it with cement so it will look smooth.

* Walls of this type will heat up more and retain heat more if they're exposed to the sun.

So for these reasons you may want to go with those white Q-con blocks which are light, uniform in size and don't retain heat. They're actually so light they float on water! So they'd be an excellent choice if the extension is an area you live in and if it's exposed to the sun. If this is for a garage or whatever then I would not bother.

Yes, very few load bearing walls but some built with special blocks, the type made at a factory in Mae Joe.

Disadvantage of Q-con blocks is that if you try to hang or mount something on the wall, it may not hold because the block is not strong and the plaster on it is thin.

Alternative for heat problem is a double brick wall with an insulation space in the middle.

Finally, an intelligent response :)

Back in Europe there are two different types of the ytong blocks. The normal ones (porous) for indoor use and the sealed ones for outside walls (they look a bit like white LEGO blocks). I don't know which ones are used here, but the normal ones will soak up water like a sponge if the plaster is breached. In europe this will lead to mold growing in and outside the wall. Here maybe the wide roof protects the outside walls. by the way, both can be used to construct bearing walls.

I saw a house built with these blocks (non bearing, between concrete posts), but for all bathrooms they used bricks (maybe because of the water issue).

Another option I saw is the already mentioned double brick wall. Since work is cheap here I think I would prefer this. The space between the bricks will be filled with rockwool, I guess? The concrete posts and the wall were both at 20cm width then, which is not different from a wall in europe.

To my surprise they also used the double brick walls for all indoor walls. Anyone knows what the advantage of this over plasterboard walls is?

Marco.

I guess it's like giving a typewriter to a troop of monkeys: eventually you'll get something intelligent. It was just a matter of time. :lol:

Disadvantage of Q-con blocks is that if you try to hang or mount something on the wall, it may not hold because the block is not strong and the plaster on it is thin.

signed:

expert who possesses a wealth of "no idea"

:whistling:

except for "They're actually so light they float on water!" :ph34r:

Thank you for this helpful and informative reply Winnie and thanks to all others who have put in their considered opinions. I've learned a lot today which I will attempt to put to good use.

except for "They're actually so light they float on water!" :ph34r:

Dead Sea water? :) Anyway I admit I just have that floating bit off another forum:

"I was told by a builder that you wouldn't want to hand cabinets from a wall built with these blocks. They are great for insulation on outside walls (they actually float in water) But for load bearing and walls where things will hang the builder said they aren't a good choice. I think it had something to do with how easily the crack if you try to nail or drill into them. The builder said that any walls that are going to bear any weight ..like cabinets or mirrors...need to be made out of the little red bricks. "

I can't quote a link to that forum, but if you google "need to be made out of the little red bricks" (including the quote-marks ( " )) then you will find it.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai