Renewed Thai-Cambodian Border Fighting: Army

webfact

Renewed Thai-Cambodian Border Fighting: Army

PHNOM PENH, February 6, 2011 (AFP) - Fresh clashes broke out on the Thai-Cambodian border Sunday around a disputed temple a day after both sides agreed a ceasefire, a Cambodian military commander told AFP.

"We are fighting now, they started firing at us first," the source, who declined to be named, said, referring to Thai troops across the border.

The latest outbreak of violence, which erupted at 6.35pm local time (1135 GMT), followed an agreement to halt fighting between the neighbouring nations on Saturday.

Earlier clashes left at least five people dead in the area around the 11th-century Preah Vihear temple, which is claimed by both sides.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-06

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was just driving home from shopping about an hour ago and listening to some gov't officials say how wonderful everything was between Cambodia and Thailand and how they were going to settle the border dispute and how the fighting was a misunderstanding blah, blah, blah.

I get home and all of a sudden this. They really are people not to be believed.

It's very difficult to understand the Thai point of view. "OK, you take the temple but we keep the land around". No sense at all. Anyway the maps show the land belongs to Cambodia.

Thailand has already a civil war in the South, why do they need a war against a neighbor on the East? It's more than a need, it's an "obligation" to have wars everywhere.

Strange indeed.

"Smooth as silk".

It's very difficult to understand the Thai point of view. "OK, you take the temple but we keep the land around". No sense at all. Anyway the maps show the land belongs to Cambodia.

Thailand has already a civil war in the South, why do they need a war against a neighbor on the East? It's more than a need, it's an "obligation" to have wars everywhere.

Strange indeed.

"Smooth as silk".

The more pressure on Abhisit to call an election the more he will play the nationalist card.

Strange indeed.

"Smooth as silk".

The more pressure on Abhisit to call an election the more he will play the nationalist card.

So Cambodians are killed just for Abisith's comfort. That's OK with me. I'm neither Thai nor Khmer.

There was quite a big explosion in front of an army camp and army golf club on Ram Intra near Central(opposite about 100m before the bus stop) this afternoon(around 3:20pm). It was next to the road about 2 meters below the road level where the ponds are, so it didn't effect anything on the road. Not sure what it was but I guess a bit bigger(and noisier) than a giant firecracker.

Minutes later, a car was speeding from that intersection as if it was chasing someone. People in the cars and on the bikes at the intersection were confused but continued as if nothing has happened. I couldn't see anyone doing any kind of investigation.

Something is going on in the background, that's for sure.

UPDATE

Renewed Thai-Cambodian border fighting

PHNOM PENH, February 6, 2011 (AFP) - Fresh clashes broke out along the Thai-Cambodian border Sunday near a disputed temple, armies from both countries said, ending a ceasefire agreed after fighting left at least five people dead. "We are fighting now, they started firing at us first," a Cambodian military commander told AFP, referring to Thai troops across the border.

Thai army spokesman Colonel Sunsern Kaewkumnerd confirmed the renewed unrest, but accused the Cambodian side of reigniting the violence by firing "fireworks" and shooting.

"Thailand has retaliated. The fighting is still going on. There are no reports of casualties," he said.

The latest unrest, which erupted at around 6:35pm local time (1135 GMT), a day after the neighbours agreed a ceasefire to end heavy fighting around the 11th-century Preah Vihear temple.

Both sides claim the temple, which observers say is being used as a rallying point to stir nationalist sentiment in both Thailand and Cambodia.

The clashes came despite reassurances from Thailand and Cambodia earlier on Sunday that they were working to defuse border tensions.

Thai premier Abhisit Vejjajiva, who has faced pressure from the powerful "Yellow Shirts" at home for his handling of the issue, had said the "army and foreign ministries from both countries are working to normalise the situation".

A Cambodian military commander stationed at Preah Vihear said the Thai and Cambodian armies had held talks to improve the situation, though he cautioned the atmosphere remained "tense" and both sides were "still on alert".

Ties between the neighbours have been strained since the temple was granted UN World Heritage status in July 2008.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that Preah Vihear itself belonged to Cambodia, although its main entrance lies in Thailand and the 4.6-square-kilometre (1.8-square-mile) area around the temple is claimed by both sides.

The neighbours traded heavy weapons fire in an area around the temple on Friday and each said the other had deployed mortars, rockets and artillery.

Cambodia said two of its soldiers and one civilian were killed in Friday's fighting, while Thailand said a villager on its side of the border also died.

A Thai soldier was killed in a brief resumption of hostilities on Saturday morning.

The media in both countries have suggested the toll could be much higher, however, with Thai newspapers suggesting 64 Cambodian soldiers were killed. Across the border, it was reported that at least 30 Thai troops had died.

Thousands of people fled their homes as villages were evacuated on both sides of the frontier when the fighting erupted.

But Somsak Suwansujarit, the governor of the Thai border province Sri Sa Ket, said people had started to return to their houses, thinking the situation had improved.

Tensions have flared in recent weeks in the wake of the arrest of seven Thai nationals for illegal entry into Cambodia in late December.

Two of them were sentenced to lengthy jail terms for spying, in a case that has caused outrage among the nationalist "Yellow Shirts".

Around 5,000 "Yellow Shirts", a force to be reckoned with in Thailand's colour-coded politics, gathered outside the government compound in Bangkok on Saturday calling for the prime minister's resignation over the issue.

It has been suggested that the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) could move to mediate in the row and sources in the Cambodian foreign ministry have said ASEAN chair and Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa will visit the country on Monday.

But the subject of the meeting is unknown and Abhisit on Sunday dismissed ASEAN intervention as "unnecessary".

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-02-06

Well the Yellow shirts are probably so happy that they are putting condoms on over there head.

This is what they have been hoping for. The lot of them should be airlifted into the center of it and they might change there mind.

This could all be a plot by a group of people in Thailand and it may not really have anything to do with the temple or Cambodia. Maybe a political group in Thailand (not wanting to name names) has implanted agents inside the military on the border with the intent to stir up a war with Cambodia to cause the current government to loose face which would lead to it's downfall. Who knows what plots are going on behind closed doors with some of these political groups.

Well the Yellow shirts are probably so happy that they are putting condoms on over there head.

This is what they have been hoping for. The lot of them should be airlifted into the center of it and they might change there mind.

:jap: Yes, congratulations to the ultra-nationalists who look to have a few more deaths to sate their bloodlust. This little spat is lilliputian in it's futility and does not bode well for the division of oil reserves in contested ocean territory.

For anyone who doubts this is nothing more than an ego/power play by manipulative old men need to little more than plot a graph of Thai-Cambodian squabbles against time and then highlight the dates of general elections in each Country. Sad indeed.

Thai army spokesman Colonel Sunsern Kaewkumnerd confirmed the renewed unrest, but accused the Cambodian side of reigniting the violence by firing "fireworks" and shooting.

Could this whole mess have been started because someone was celebrating Chinese New Year?!!!

Edited by Credo

Also, Abhisit is not all that innocent.

How many times did he mention using military solutions? It was the PM of Thailand. This is not exactly what a civilized PM would do, no matter how big the pressure is. In the end, there are to many factors that can play into this and against him. He's still a boy with no experience.

War mongering was and is going on for quite some time now and here it is.

Could this whole mess have been started because someone was celebrating Chinese New Year?!!!

I was just about to make same comment.

So Cambodians celebrate or whatever with fireworks and Thai's in response start to fire guns?!!!!????!!!..............

I think one of the main problems here is the fact how Thailand treats and speaks with its neighbors.For some reason Thailand seems to have the superiority complex, perhaps if they tried to deal with Cambodia on the same "level' rather then looking down -more could be achieved.

No, it doesn't.

Is it really so hard for you people to follow the news or facts of this or other issues?

And the Cambodian army deliberately aimed their shells on the Thai village primarily, not the military installations. That is a violation of War laws and clear case of murder.

Just so you pro-Cambodian posters know what you support. Time to move perhaps?

No, it doesn't.

Is it really so hard for you people to follow the news or facts of this or other issues?

And the Cambodian army deliberately aimed their shells on the Thai village primarily, not the military installations. That is a violation of War laws and clear case of murder.

Just out of curiosity how does one determine what is deliberate and what is not sitting in Bangkok 500 kms away from the conflict zone, behind the computer?

We've got family living about 40km from Khao Pra Viharn, just heard from them by phone. There's been continuous artillery fire since around 7pm tonight. Lots of people from the border have been evacuated and are staying in the local school. The Thai army have ordered all electricity to be cut to reduce the risk of Khmer troops firing into lighted areas. Sounds scary.

So Cambodians celebrate or whatever with fireworks and Thai's in response start to fire guns?!!!!????!!!..............

Interesting yet unsurprising how your fantasy begins with the always peaceful Cambodians who would never think of harming a fly being attacked by the evil nasty Thais for no reason at all.

My girlfriend has told me that the news is now reporting 69 Cambodians have been killed and 1 Thai.

Could be propaganda or 'fog of war' reporting.

But if these figures are right, then this is starting to be more than skirmishes, more like a prelude to all out war.

wow, only 18 posts to the first 'if you don't like it or agree with everything thailand does move elsewhere' post

If you are cheering for the other country in a war or conflict and they are murdering the citizens of the country you are living in...well, that is treason. Now, you you truly like the other nation to be the winner then I think it is better for your safety to move -- or someone around you might find out eventually. And that isn't safe for you. Right?

A tweet from the Nation News Agency says that the hill on which the temple at the center of this problem is situated is now ablaze. Part of the temple itself (an area where they 'collect money (?)') has been hit and there are people trapped inside.

Looks like those suggesting the temple be destroyed to put an end to this fighting will have their wish come true, although I think the outcome will be a little different than what they hoped for.

Here it is - maybe someone could improve my translation.

ผู้สื่อข่าว บอก สิ่งปลูกสร้างบริเวณ ด่านเก็บเงิน เขาพระวิหาร ถูกไฟไหม้ เสียหายทั้งหมด และมีเจ้าหน้าที่อุทยาน บางส่วนติดค้างอยู่ในพื้นที่

Edit - apparently, it's the place where people pay to get into the area that's been hit - whatever that means.

Edited by hanuman1

No, it doesn't.

Just out of curiosity how does one determine what is deliberate and what is not sitting in Bangkok 500 kms away from the conflict zone, behind the computer?

Is that a joke?

The evidence is in the pudding -- you simple count the reported number of shells that hit different targets.

And don't try to tell us that the Cambodians had no idea that they where shooting at a village [school] and therefor killing and hurting civilians.

I'm not sure who provoked the latest outbreak. When considering the crackdowns on demonstrators during the last rallies I'd be not surprised if that repeats itself just on another level.

It just needs a few bad apples within the armed forces to create a situation which so many desperatly seek. The more I read the more I believe that the explosion in Bangkok this afternoon was a form of intimitation too. First I thought someone was dynamite fishing in the ponds there. But now ...

Interesting yet unsurprising how your fantasy begins with the always peaceful Cambodians who would never think of harming a fly being attacked by the evil nasty Thais for no reason at all.

HEH?! I was not the one who made the statement,Thai army spokesman Colonel Sunsern Kaewkumnerd made the statement. You do not like what he said, take it up with him.