Bush cancels Swiss visit amid threats of protest, arrest

News_Editor

If waterboarding somebody had uncovered this plot and kept it from happening, would you all say waterboarding is still evil?

Suicide bomber kills 27 soldiers in NW Pakistan

By RIAZ KHAN, Associated Press – 9 mins ago

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – A teen suicide bomber in a school uniform attacked soldiers during morning exercises at a Pakistani army training camp Thursday, killing 27 troops and wounding 40 others, police and the military said.

The attack in the northwest town of Mardan showed that despite years of army operations against their hideouts along Pakistan's border with Afghanistan, Taliban and al-Qaida-linked fighters retain the ability to strike back. It was one of the worst attacks on security forces in recent months.

Senior police official Abdullah Khan said 27 soldiers died and around 40 were wounded, some critically. Khan said an examination of the body parts at the scene indicated the bomber was a teenage boy, which is a common finding in suicide bombings in Pakistan.

Story continues here: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110210/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, I am not opposed to waterboarding Davis...

Cool we know where you stand.....

For the record...I am opposed to torture period...regardless of race/creed/color/religion/suspicions etc etc etc....regardless of hindsight supposition ;)

For the record...I am opposed to torture period...regardless of race/creed/color/religion/suspicions etc etc etc....regardless of hindsight supposition ;)

I'm as against torture as much as the next guy, providing I'm standing next to Jack Bauer.

This entire thread is about hindsight and suppositions. ;)

Clinton commited perjury - on video, in front of the entire world. Cue the "Oh, he was just lying about sex" crowd. He commited perjury and most of us would have done jail time if we were in his place. I think he should have been tried for abuse of power. The most powerful man in the world could certainly do better than he did.

Don't assume that the entire world cares much about what the US president does with cigars.

Do also not assume that for the 'rest of the world' would it make much difference if the name of the president is Clinton, Bush or Obama.

Uh, er, ummm. Clinton was not impeached for frivolous use of a cigar. Remember, Google is your friend.

Who cares? That is the point.

If waterboarding somebody had uncovered this plot and kept it from happening, would you all say waterboarding is still evil?

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – A teen suicide bomber in a school uniform attacked soldiers during morning exercises at a Pakistani army training camp Thursday, killing 27 troops and wounding 40 others, police and the military said.

Water-boarding a terrorist to save thousands of innocent lives is what is known as a necessary evil.

That's ridiculous and you know it. Often the info is needed quickly. Experts can do better, quicker, without torture. Bush went fascist with this because it was good for him in the polls, Mr. Tough Guy against the terrorists most of which were figments of some fiction writers to further the radical right wing neocon political agenda, not for logical reasons.

The good news today? The neocon-inspired patriot act was not extended. BRAVO!

http://www.slate.com/id/2284505/

Edited by Jingthing

Only three high-value, known terrorists were water-boarded and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed divulged information of tremendous value.

Using water-boarding is terrible, but these fellows are responsible for the deaths of numerous innocents - so deserve little pity - and many lives were saved by the technique.

That's like a Russkie trusting the KGB.

In any case, it really is gratifying to see Bush restricted into where he can travel. Back on that infernal Texas ranch is where he belongs and where the world would be much better off if he had never left.

Speaking of the damage Bush left in his wake, don't forget Rumsfeld. I love how this review of his new "book" puts it --

Donald Rumsfeld may be even worse at writing a memoir than he was at being secretary of defense.

http://www.slate.com/id/2284351/

Edited by Jingthing

I suppose some people may be happy to use torture but I don't think I'd fancy being one of the innocent people that are tortured.

http://www.theaustra...f-1225988027776

And I don't think torture really does much good anyway, most would just tell you what you want to hear.

http://www.washingto...-2005Jan11.html

I'm sure some people, for some unknown reason, feel good about it and will defend the use of torture just because it makes them feel good and the great democracy just cannot do wrong can it.

Edited by Wallaby

Obama and his Democrat-controlled Congree had two years to repeal it and they didn't bother even though all the evil neo-cons in the world couldn't stop them. I wonder why they didn't even try? Obama had better start doing something about it before they put out International arrest warrants for him.

I suppose some people may be happy to use torture but I don't think I'd fancy being one of the innocent people that are tortured.

I agree completely about innocent people, but known terrorists with blood on their hands who can prevent future slaughters are not so clearcut

Water-boarding a terrorist to save thousands of innocent lives is what is known as a necessary evil.

Than I'm probably not alone, hoping you will never have to undergo -as an innocent suspect of course- water boarding.

Torture is a no-no in the civilized world and that includes the US. Period.

LaoPo

Only three high-value, known terrorists were water-boarded and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed divulged information of tremendous value.

Using water-boarding is terrible, but these fellows are responsible for the deaths of numerous innocents - so deserve little pity - and many lives were saved by the technique.

You tell that the innocent suspects; maybe you should read a little about the innocent ones who were tortured also, now free after many years Guantanamo...<_<

LaoPo

This discussion about Bush, not traveling to Switzerland is going a wrong direction with some members agreeing with torture and finding excuses for it.

Unbelievable. :bah:

LaoPo

Obama and his Democrat-controlled Congree had two years to repeal it and they didn't bother even though all the evil neo-cons in the world couldn't stop them. I wonder why they didn't even try? Obama had better start doing something about it before they put out International arrest warrants for him.

This wasn't a repeal, it was a vote to deny an extension. I am assuming the existing law was original written as temporary. So, what you said, isn't really correct, and again back to realpolitik, it wasn't a political priority to make a big issue about doing a repeal, that would have been too big an investment in political capital to warrant the move. Are you American? Because if you are, you don't seem to understand much about the system's peculiarities.