dSLR Shutter Lifetimes

Tywais

I'm still vacillating over choosing what dSLR I wish to get. At the moment my focus is on the Canon EOS-60D though that could change minute by minute as it's really a tough choice for me. ;)

The one issue I worry about is shutter life time. The 60D indicates 100,000 which I have no perspective on but suspect it's more photos then I've taken in my lifetime. :D

Doing some research I thought this information may be useful to other members with similar concerns.

Camera Shutter Life Database

EOSInfo to check shutter life for Canon dSLRs

PS: One reason I was checking it out as I may be interested in doing some small amount of time lapse photography.

I have a Canon 20D which is rated for 50,000 shutter actuations. I have taken about 35,000 and no problems so far. I also have a Canon 5D mark II which is rated for 100,000. I've taken about 30,000 shots with that and not a problem either.

The pro models are rated for 200,000+ actuations I believe. I don't know how many people actually take this many shots and / or have problems with the shutter but I personally don't know anyone who has.

FWIW, any DSLR with a Canon or Nikon badge will be great!

PS: One reason I was checking it out as I may be interested in doing some small amount of time lapse photography.

Please try these Cannons for your "time lapse photography"

large.jpg

Fire at will folks and shoot me down.

:w00t:

Mid range Nikon DSLR's have a rated life of 150,000 shutter actions. Their pro cameras, 300,000.

Out of interest, in the near 18 months we've had our 300's its fired off about 9,000 shots, some of them in focus too wink.giflaugh.gif

Again its obvious that Nikon has the superior quality, which I guess gives manufacturers like cannon something to work towards hit-the-fan.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by neverdie

Again its obvious that Nikon has the superior quality, which I guess gives manufacturers like cannon something to work towards

fanboy.jpg

:whistling:;)

Sorry, excuse me, I'm just getting excited as the tension builds towards Nikon releasing a 'mirrorless' DSLR, any moment now laugh.gifjap.gif