Changing Money at the Bank

Today, I went to the bank to change some money into SGD. I had B180,000 and it was changed into SGD 1,000 notes. I counted this out carefully, put it into my shoulder bag along with my passport and zipped it up. The cashier kept looking at me and I thought this odd.

Now, there were many other people there this morning, but I think my cash exchange was the biggest. Outside across the road, a few men were sitting idly by doing nothing. By the time I got off the Khlong Saen Saep boat at my pier, my bag was slightly unzipped and.....you can guess the rest! I have absolutely no idea where I was 'hit'. I am the most ultra careful person in the world when it comes to large sums of money & a passport.

Although I cannot prove it, I suspect the bankhas an inside spy tipping off the scumbags outside as to who is converting cash and where it has been put. These people are professionals. Why was I targetted as there were many others there? How did they know in which zipped pocket to look? For my liking there were too many coincidences to be a random pickpocket.

As I said earlier, I cannot prove anything but please be warned. When you leave the bank be on your most alert guard. Let them see you put your cash in a certain pocket, and then change it at an opportune moment. Or have a taxi standing by waiting for you.

Edited by Mario2008
name of bank deleted per forum rules

Per forum rules I have changed the name of the topic and edited the name of the bank out. Remember naming in shaming is not allowed.

Sorry for the loss of the OP. Let it be a reminder to always be very carefull when you use a bank or ATM.

I understand the forum rules, but I think other members should be made aware that it wasn't a bank but a well known currency exchange company. :ph34r:

If anyone wants to know, are they allowed to PM me?

Thanks

I am the most ultra careful person in the world when it comes to large sums of money...

Without bonded, armed guards you are not. Never a good plan to be carrying large sums of money "in any country." Too bad it happened.

I understand the forum rules, but I think other members should be made aware that it wasn't a bank but a well known currency exchange company. :ph34r:

Thanks

It doesn't matter what the name of the bank or exchange is if you are careless, like you were.

Not as careful as you would think it seems, I never put ANY significant amount of cash in any one place on my person and then especially not in a bag of any kind as it's too easy to take or get into without your knowing, a lesson you obviously learned the hard way..

In case of a mugging I carry a small roll of cash as a distraction (when I carry any amount of cash which in itself is not too often) and if I get robbed, throw it one direction and run the other direction and let the dog go fetch his little prize..

Thanks

It doesn't matter what the name of the bank or exchange is if you are careless, like you were.

why not just see it as a helpful warning instead of bashing the one who got his feet burned? Did the OP do something illegal or somebody else?

I will do a similar transaction tomorrow at SUPER RICH in Bkk and for sure I will take my bodyguards with me.

Sorry this happened but there is only one person to blame.

the thieves are to blame, troll.

even if he left the sum in the taxi or if he had it stick out of his backpocket.

sure, he could have been more careful than putting the money into a bag.

I always avoid bags if I can.

They can be snatched, cut, opened, stolen, etc.

I always stuff the cash into very tight trousers or shorts pockets, near my bullocks.

You would be amazed at how much is possible to put there :-)

No way to pickpocket there without me noticing.

The tip with a decoy sum is also a good one, when the thieves don't know how much to expect.

If there is too much money for the "<deleted> pockets", consider buying "inside pockets", which are worn inside the pants/shorts.

Consider the panoply:

http://www.kevincoffey.com/money/guide_to_security_belt_and_pouches.htm

Edited by manarak

Thanks to all who listened. I am not looking for sympathy but rather passing on a nasty exprerience that i would not like happen to anyone. I don't think you'll be super rich if you made the mistake I did.

I changed a similar amount of cash from Euros to Baht in Pattaya recently. I did it in 5 separate transactions over 5 days, specifically to minimise any possible loss. Each time, once I had the Baht in a front trouser pocket I left the exchange shop (I did it in a shop rather than at a street kiosk) and went straight to the nearest branch of my bank to pay it in.

Anything else would have seemed stupid to me.

OP... sorry for your loss...

It seems you started out at Super Rich....and ended up at Super Poor... :(

From your account, it's hardly like the money fell out of your zipped bag... So obviously someone helped it disappear en route... indeed, probably someone who had been watching or had accomplices who were.

Customer beware....

Let me tell you, Thailand does have master pickpockets....and sometimes those pickpockets use a razor blade so gently and quickly to cut the fabric on a bag or clothes pockets that you don't even notice it until it too late. So, don't even think a closed bag or pockets is safe. In fact, many times when at a festival around a temple, the monks on the loud speakers will be telling everyone to watch out for pickpockets with emphasis on how they can even use razor blades in robbery...not to cut you, but to steal your valuables without you knowing it.

And just for me, one precaution I take is too rarely carry my wallet in my pants rear pockets but carry the wallet in the side leg pockets since I wear a lot of shorts that have side leg pockets....these side pockets are tougher for a pickpocket to get to, plus my hands are usually hanging down there and the corner of my eye can almost always see those side pockets. Beware!

I changed a similar amount of cash from Euros to Baht in Pattaya recently. I did it in 5 separate transactions over 5 days, specifically to minimise any possible loss. Each time, once I had the Baht in a front trouser pocket I left the exchange shop (I did it in a shop rather than at a street kiosk) and went straight to the nearest branch of my bank to pay it in.

Why did you not just deposit the euro's straight into your bank instead of going to all that trouble ?

Edited by Mario2008
comment deleted, play the ball not the man

Basically, you are being watched at this famous currency exchange shop in central Bangkok. It doesn't matter by who, you are being watched.

Take care everyone. Only feel safe when you are back in your home with the door locked!!

Why did you not just deposit the euro's straight into your bank instead of going to all that trouble ?

I got a much better rate at the money changer than I would have at the bank. About 40 satang per Euro, I think.

so for every 1000 euro you get an extra 9.50 euro for your troubles, good for you if you think this is value for money vs hassle vs extra time to get robbed.

so for every 1000 euro you get an extra 9.50 euro for your troubles, good for you if you think this is value for money vs hassle vs extra time to get robbed.

That's right, or 2000+B extra in all. Well worth having, I think, rather than donating it to a bank. The extra hassle was zero as the money changer is quicker to change money than the bank is, and my bank branch is just a few hundred yards from the money changer and I have to walk past it to get there.

Of course you are free to squander your money wherever and however you wish, by paying more than you need to in shops or getting a bad exchange rate. I am amazed every day by the queue of people in front of kiosks of my bank (and others) waiting for change when the rate is ALWAYS better at the money changer just yards away.

And don't take a klong boat with all that dosh in your pocket. You may afford a taxi occasionally.

I know!! The khlong boat is literally a 5 minute walk away and much quicker than a taxi. However, in hindsight. a taxi would have been a much better choice!

That's right, or 2000+B extra in all. Well worth having, I think, rather than donating it to a bank. The extra hassle was zero as the money changer is quicker to change money than the bank is, and my bank branch is just a few hundred yards from the money changer and I have to walk past it to get there.

Of course you are free to squander your money wherever and however you wish, by paying more than you need to in shops or getting a bad exchange rate. I am amazed every day by the queue of people in front of kiosks of my bank (and others) waiting for change when the rate is ALWAYS better at the money changer just yards away.

So the money changer was on the way to the bank, well then of-course going for the extra 2000b is worthwhile, I thought you had to go out of you way to the money changer.