Mifi Mobile Broadband

wood

Hi,

I have purchased the Mifi modem Huawei E585 from the Uk 3 service provider, it is now unlocked to receive any pay as you go Sim card.

I Intend to use this as my wireless network access point for my iPad and am unsure which Sim card provider and package to go for in central Bangkok.

I understand that I need a Sim card for data, but can anyone confirm if I will receive the usename and password along with the service providers data point address when I buy the sim ?

It's all new to me you see.

Thanks in advance.

Wood.

Most people visiting Thailand just buy a 49 baht sim, you can buy a monthly package deal for 30 hours 100 baht, 250 hours 500 bat or unlimited for 1000. If you don't want a package they charge 1 baht a minute. All just pay as you go. Speeds fine for most users and good reception all around Thailand.Not expensive and widely available.

Never heard of anyone been given a username and passowrd.

Edited by CharlieH

Thanks for that Charlieh.

Yes, the username and password is my concern, to connect this huawei device to the UK 3 network, it requires this info, the same as you would put into to access your ISP from your computer, it makes it secure.

For your further info, this little device creates a wifi network only, it's not a phone.

It works champion in the UK, but I really need to know what to request in BKK when buying a local sim.

What also is the best 3 G sim to buy.

Thanks again..

Yes, the username and password is my concern, to connect this huawei device to the UK 3 network, it requires this info, the same as you would put into to access your ISP from your computer, it makes it secure.

For your further info, this little device creates a wifi network only, it's not a phone.

It works champion in the UK, but I really need to know what to request in BKK when buying a local sim.

Thanks again..

i have something similar to you and i set it up in my cell phone first and then put it in the wi fi device , ais have an unlimited data package about 800 baht , i think for you to get 3g you need a contract with true , i find Ais a bit slow but it does the job.

Thanks again..

For central Bangkok, you will need to use TOT3G or one of it's MVNOs. TRUE 3G won't work for you and you certainly don't need to be tied into a contract.

Example SIMs here. 1GB of Data over 10 days for 99 baht or 5GB over 30 days for 499 baht.

Is your iPad 3G? If so you could just add a SIM to that? The 3G iPad supports 850 MHz (True) and 2100 MHz (TOT).

http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/ipad.html

There are a gazillion different versions of that MiFi device, all with the same model number so it can be challenging to determine the exact specs but it does look like it only supports 2100 MHz for 3G so if you do want 3G then it is TOT or one of their resellers, like i-Kool.

True have a version of that MiFi device. http://www.truemove.com/3g/en/3g_mifi.html

You can check coverage on TOT and True's websites.

Can you share any details re: your applications/requirements/length of stay? Do you require 3G?

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I managed to get the huawei working fantastic !

Sitting in my apartment, I was streaming into my iPad with fast 3G, out of the IPad via the network and into my appleTV2 box straight in to the flat screen.

YouTube music files where instant.

I was streaming rental iTunes movies and a a good few UK cable channels without any delays or interruptions.

The iPad had skype video call running with less than a second delay and picture perfect.

My initial worries about sim data passwords was nothing at all, just the router security was all that was needed.

The Huawei also created a 5 user wireless network, so both my daughters could connect their UK iPhones to it wirelessly.

Downloads were 10x quicker than my UK Adsl line.

Total cost in Thailand = 800 baht for unlimited data contract free 3G, we must have used around 20 gig.

All in all a brilliant device !!

Update

I managed to get the huawei working fantastic !

Sitting in my apartment, I was streaming into my iPad with fast 3G, out of the IPad via the network and into my appleTV2 box straight in to the flat screen.

YouTube music files where instant.

I was streaming rental iTunes movies and a a good few UK cable channels without any delays or interruptions.

The iPad had skype video call running with less than a second delay and picture perfect.

My initial worries about sim data passwords was nothing at all, just the router security was all that was needed.

The Huawei also created a 5 user wireless network, so both my daughters could connect their UK iPhones to it wirelessly.

Downloads were 10x quicker than my UK Adsl line.

Total cost in Thailand = 800 baht for unlimited data contract free 3G, we must have used around 20 gig.

All in all a brilliant device !!

TOT 3G/iKool/iMobile??

Maybe that one but I am fairly sure that I was told it was valid for 30 days ?

One thing to be careful about with these data sims, the top up function must be undertaken via a 3G enabled phone, the huawei does not provide this function, so I unsuccessfully attempted to telephone the IEC call centre to activate the top up.

It was virtually impossible to contact anyone, I was then advised that the call centre is skeleton staff after 6pm and virtually closed over the weekend.

I understand that the actual sim needing the top up does not need to be in the phone actually transmitting the top up codes, can you confirm if this is the case.

Thanks again.

Only a minor blip though.

Maybe that one but I am fairly sure that I was told it was valid for 30 days ?

One thing to be careful about with these data sims, the top up function must be undertaken via a 3G enabled phone, the huawei does not provide this function, so I unsuccessfully attempted to telephone the IEC call centre to activate the top up.

It was virtually impossible to contact anyone, I was then advised that the call centre is skeleton staff after 6pm and virtually closed over the weekend.

I understand that the actual sim needing the top up does not need to be in the phone actually transmitting the top up codes, can you confirm if this is the case.

Thanks again.

Only a minor blip though.

Perhaps it was old stock with differing conditions to their current offers. Such as this one by 3G 365: spd_20101020144615_b.jpg

Haven't used TOT 3G, so can't help with top ups.