Hun Sen's Eldest Son A Key Man In Thailand-Cambodia Border Fight

webfact

Hun Sen's eldest son a key man in border fight

By The Nation

In the latest round of armed clashes between Thailand and Cambodia, one man has been frequently mentioned in the news - Major-General Hun Manet, who is the eldest son of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen.

Military sources said that Hun Manet, 33, commanded the latest fighting around the Preah Vihear temple area bordering Si Sa Ket province. According to Thai military sources, an unconfirmed report from Cambodia said Hun Sen's son was injured during an armed clash on Sunday.

Hun Sen had said earlier that his son - who was promoted to the rank of major-general in January - was involved in border strategy and negotiations with his Thai counterparts to ease the border tensions.

Some observers viewed the latest border fighting as an attempt by Hun Sen to win acceptance for Hun Manet, who is chief of the Cambodian defence ministry's anti-terrorism unit and deputy commander of his father's bodyguards.

"Hun Sen wants to promote his son, who is a West Point graduate, to become the army commander. He sent his son to the border to wage a war," said Sondhi Limthongkul, a co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, which has been staging a protest outside Government House demanding decisive government action against the Cambodians over the chronic border conflict.

A security source, who requested anonymity, said Hun Manet appeared to have a strong desire to prove his worth to win acceptance from the Cambodian military following criticism over his promotion to become a two-star general in early January at a relatively young age.

Hun Manet is the first of Hun Sen's six children. He graduated from the US Military Academy at West Point in 1999 and later earned a doctorate in Economics at the University of Bristol in England. That is a far cry from his 59-year-old father, who joined the Khmer Rouge movement as a teenager and received limited secondary education.

With Hun Manet's promotion to a senior military rank, observers say it is now far less likely for a coup d'etat against his father, who has ruled Cambodia for 26 years and says he will rule until the day he dies.

Many Cambodians think Hun Manet is being groomed by his father to take over the reins of power in the future.

"The question is whether Hun Manet will be accepted by all the military's high-ranking officials and factions within the [ruling] Cambodian People's Party," said Son Soubert, a prominent political commentator and adviser to Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni.

Hun Sen defended his son's promotion as in accordance with the rules. "He joined the army in 1994. He has been in army for 16 years, and there is promotion within the army ranks," the Cambodian leader said in a speech broadcast on national radio following his son's upgrading.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-09

Hun Sen Manet has all of the qualifications for his position in the army ranks , probably more so than any existing generals, these qualifications are all on paper of course . As an ex British army sargeant resposible for the abilities of my men in the role we played , I would have been disgusted with myself had my men performed in such an incompetant manner as I saw displayed by the Cambodians at the front line on ctn footage . They were firing blindly from thier bunkers , crouching behind the sand bags with not a clue where the rounds of amunition were going except 'Somewhere towards the enemy' , weapons jaming due most likely to failure to clean and maintain in operative condition . Where were the artillary 'Sighters who normally guide the gunners 'for acuracy as artillery is normally not in sight of targets , men need to be trained whilst in action to hone thier capabilities , shame when your officers fail you in battle , that was the role of the British army sargeants .

"Hun Sen wants to promote his son, who is a West Point graduate, to become the army commander. He sent his son to the border to wage a war," said Sondhi Limthongkul, a co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy,

This is the crux of the matter, and one of the few sensible things Sondhi has said recently, Ban Ki Moon will be well aware of this I'm sure. You can't trust Hun Sen, he's a trouble maker, always has been.

"Hun Sen wants to promote his son, who is a West Point graduate, to become the army commander. He sent his son to the border to wage a war," said Sondhi Limthongkul, a co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy,

This is the crux of the matter, and one of the few sensible things Sondhi has said recently, Ban Ki Moon will be well aware of this I'm sure. You can't trust Hun Sen, he's a trouble maker, always has been.

A quote from Sondhi hardly represents hard and fast, unbiased comment.

Wow, a new dynasty in the making. After the Kim dynasty in North Korea, now the Hun dynasty in Cambodia.

A new "democratic People's republic" ?

Political dynasty is alive and well in many, so called, more democratic parts of the world.

And the next president Bush is? :)

And Sondhi says- hmm!

Junior is making his bones in the military.

Not much else happening, since PAD gave them an

opportunity for Junior to get some combat time.

Wounded too, instant national hero status.

At least he has some actual training and accomplishment in his record.

If he does get passed the reins, he likely will do a better job than daddy did.

Not that this passing of the dynastic baton is the way to go.

But it seems the son does have some skills compared to dad,

and maybe much of the post LKilling Fields country..

Yeah he should be aware of the parallels between North Korea and Cambodia in this conflict, both this conflict and last November's in Korea instigated to allow their newly appointed son-general to gain military power and consolidate the family's political dynasty.

Sondhi is full of it - I guess Hun sen sent yellow shirts over the border with a Dem MP in tow - cell phone military information weeks before this started, and ran protest in front of government house calling for the government to step down leading up to this, and he must have built up Thai forces on the border too.

I think he may have been the most quified is the reason he would be in charge in that area - not everywhere do they promote like in Thailand.

With Sondhi's reasoning - Thailand has much to worry about as it seems Hun sen's son has complete control over the event inside Thailand too. He's good real good.

It seems the cast is searching high and low for an excuse for Thailand's bad border policies and a cover story that makes the PM a victim of Hun sen now. The educated PM is being manipulated and run around by a guy with less then high school education - whats that say about Mark. Next it will be Thaksin is the planner of all this and it is part all a part of the Texas Plan with GW back when - that is why they have a West pointer over there.

This resent round on the border is almost completely Thailand's fault due to internal politics and a bad border policy - that needs to be faced and not put back under the carpet for the next chance to use the issue again here.

This type of Nation ossification of cause and effect almost reads like the yellow shirts just got a deal from the government and now they want to save its butt. Maybe that is why they don't want the three day deadline anymore, and won't protest with an ISA in effect - the easy out.

The cast is being issued new talking points. Time to start being nice to the yellow shirts again and go back to hating the Cambodians.

Wow, a new dynasty in the making. After the Kim dynasty in North Korea, now the Hun dynasty in Cambodia.

A new "democratic People's republic" ?

Are they Attila the Hun's descendants.?

In the future people will look back and remember Hun Sen as "Sen the Hun" :)

Hun Sen Manet has all of the qualifications for his position in the army ranks , probably more so than any existing generals, these qualifications are all on paper of course . As an ex British army sargeant resposible for the abilities of my men in the role we played , I would have been disgusted with myself had my men performed in such an incompetant manner as I saw displayed by the Cambodians at the front line on ctn footage . They were firing blindly from thier bunkers , crouching behind the sand bags with not a clue where the rounds of amunition were going except 'Somewhere towards the enemy' , weapons jaming due most likely to failure to clean and maintain in operative condition . Where were the artillary 'Sighters who normally guide the gunners 'for acuracy as artillery is normally not in sight of targets , men need to be trained whilst in action to hone thier capabilities , shame when your officers fail you in battle , that was the role of the British army sargeants .

But most probably he performs very good at playing golf and take care well for his 5 girlfriends.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then (present company included) lol

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then (present company included) lol

One could however, take the statement "Hun Sen sent his son to the border to start a war", and interchange it with "Veera went to the border to start a war".

As for Sondhi and his statements, it has been obvious for a long time, in my opinion that he (and many of his cohorts) are not acting in anyway for anyone's interests but their own egos. They got rid of Thaksin and some believed it wasn't a personal vendetta after him getting shafted by the banks. I never believed that, but each to his opinion. Listening to the rhetoric that comes out of Sondhi's mouth (vis a vis mixed blood children for example) he is truly despicable.

These people are not benefiting, representing ,or acting on behalf of even 0.01% of the Thai population. It is almost as though in this case they are acting on some wild personal mission to get rid of Abhisit's government, when only a couple of years ago they were lauding him to the heavens. The hardened reds are a dangerous bunch too, but I would seriously have to think twice whether I would take a leak on Sondhi if he was on fire. These people with their arbitrary protests are slowly but surely destroying this country and ruining any hope of democratic development.

The PAD (and the militant reds) are a very dangerous bunch and should never be allowed to again hold the country to ransom. Lock em all up and throw away the keys for the good of the country.

Sondhi is full of it - I guess Hun sen sent yellow shirts over the border with a Dem MP in tow - cell phone military information weeks before this started, and ran protest in front of government house calling for the government to step down leading up to this, and he must have built up Thai forces on the border too.

I think he may have been the most quified is the reason he would be in charge in that area - not everywhere do they promote like in Thailand.

With Sondhi's reasoning - Thailand has much to worry about as it seems Hun sen's son has complete control over the event inside Thailand too. He's good real good.

It seems the cast is searching high and low for an excuse for Thailand's bad border policies and a cover story that makes the PM a victim of Hun sen now. The educated PM is being manipulated and run around by a guy with less then high school education - whats that say about Mark. Next it will be Thaksin is the planner of all this and it is part all a part of the Texas Plan with GW back when - that is why they have a West pointer over there.

This resent round on the border is almost completely Thailand's fault due to internal politics and a bad border policy - that needs to be faced and not put back under the carpet for the next chance to use the issue again here.

This type of Nation ossification of cause and effect almost reads like the yellow shirts just got a deal from the government and now they want to save its butt. Maybe that is why they don't want the three day deadline anymore, and won't protest with an ISA in effect - the easy out.

The cast is being issued new talking points. Time to start being nice to the yellow shirts again and go back to hating the Cambodians.

"I think he may have been the most quified is the reason he would be in charge in that area - not everywhere do they promote like in Thailand." sic

If you believe that his graduating from West Point is an indication of military skill, then you are sadly misinformed. Sons of foreign leaders rarely fail to graduate from prestigious military colleges, and quite often are allowed an assistant (aka bodyguard) who does much of the menial work for the protege. The college has little problem "passing" an incompetent idiot as he will not be serving that country.

Yeah - kind of makes you wonder how the Cambodians managed to pick out a school building 5 km from the border and put shell through its roof doesn't it? Useful that the much paraded school building was empty at the time wasn't it? Useful that Thailand now has an icon against which to stir up anti-Cambodian sentiment isn't it?

These people with their arbitrary protests are slowly but surely destroying this country and ruining any hope of democratic development.

This is the crux for me. It's slowly spiralling down and down into a real pile of never ending boring <deleted>. Can anybody truly see a Thailand where the elected government no matter what hue will be allowed to serve their term without somebody crawling out of the woodwork to stir the shit? The genie's out of the bottle now and I fear a near impossible task to put both it and the cork back in.

Yeah - kind of makes you wonder how the Cambodians managed to pick out a school building 5 km from the border and put shell through its roof doesn't it? [...]

The answer is easy: They tried to avoid hitting it...:lol:

If you spray an area with enough grenades you will in the end get a few "lucky strikes".

These people with their arbitrary protests are slowly but surely destroying this country and ruining any hope of democratic development.

This is the crux for me. It's slowly spiralling down and down into a real pile of never ending boring <deleted>. Can anybody truly see a Thailand where the elected government no matter what hue will be allowed to serve their term without somebody crawling out of the woodwork to stir the shit? The genie's out of the bottle now and I fear a near impossible task to put both it and the cork back in.

I seem to remember that I wrote similar things 3 or 4 years ago warning about apparently "permitted" street protest to overthrow a government. Wikileaks has some strong insight why this was "allowed" (which was obvious anyway). It has opened a bottle that has occupied airports, burnt shopping centres and cost many lives and billions of $$$. Trust in the "old ways" is getting strained.

Those who stood around and lauded what the PAD appeared to achieve by overthrowing Thaksin, have really landed Thailand in a problem that does not serve the PEOPLE. Thaksin bought elections. Why is vote buying allowed to continue? Because it means that elections can be bought if ANYONE wants to. Thaksin simply subverted a system against the will of those who perpetuate a system that they want to be able to manipulate it as they want.

If you have spent enough time in this country doing enough serious business, there is a natural order that should not be disturbed that flows way up through Thai connection, that these people will protect at all cost. Overthrowing Thaksin had NOTHING to do with strengthening the country and had everything to do with protecting 30 or 40 families pockets. If anyone wants to PM me, I will elucidate. Just picking a fight in Mapthaput got Abhisit (inheriting a clause from the coup) into a big scrap, and still might deliver a knock out blow.

I had an interesting chat just today with a couple of guys who are mild red shirts who run medium sized companies in the Rayong area. They talk about possibilities of "uprisings in the countryside", or "100's of thousands dying in a civil war". It is, we all hope very unlikely to happen, but.... Which system or mechanism in this country is going to be able to prevent it if it happens? I have sat with a provincial governor just last week, and overheard that he doesn't know who to listen to, or who to trust. The "system" is on the edge.

The army is partial, the political system is corrupt, the local government has no power.

I pity Abhisit trying to enable what appears to be a good attempt at creating something approaching a social system, whilst he has to listen to PAD idiots inciting the army and the people to war. The disconnect from reality of problems in the country and the central government and whoever chooses to protest is gargantuan.

So we now are sitting in the system that the "coup" was supposed to reboot (as they so eloquently put it). That didn't work and so they rolled out a broken legal system and the PAD to keep out Thaksin. Well, today Thailand is facing the blue screen of death. I am not sure what can break this cycle of protest, coup threat and a powerless PM. It truly is a mess.

However, if there is one man in the country today, it probably is Abhisit. Lock up the reds and yellows and really let them rot. I don't care what they get them for. Not paying a parking ticket is enough. Do a deal with North Korea to house them. I really do not care. But, these idiots are KILLING THE COUNTRY.

Sondhi is full of it - I guess Hun sen sent yellow shirts over the border with a Dem MP in tow - cell phone military information weeks before this started,

To help out those that are obviously geographically-challenged, the incident with Veera's absurd spy charges occured in Sakaeo province whereas the ongoing feud with the temple border clash is occuring hundreds of kilometers away in Sisaket province. The provinces aren't even adjoining as they are separated by not one, but two provinces, namely Buriram and Surin provinces.

Google maps should be your friend. It'll help tremendously to make all your comments more relevant.

This type of Nation ossification of cause and effect almost reads like

The Nation-centric and Thailand-centric focus reveals an equally apparent unfamiliarity with events occurring in Cambodia and the media beyond Thailand's border.

Sondhi is certainly not the only one making the same sort of assessment of Hun Sen and Hun Manet.

Much of this other input sounds almost exactly the same and its expressed by far-ranging sources over the entire family and Hun Manet's recent appointment to the Bodyguard Commander (an astounding 4,000 soldiers strong unit):

---------

Outspoken Cambodian opposition MP Mu Sochua felt the appointment was temporary and a stepping stone for a "higher position," saying he might not seriously consider restructuring the infantry.

Phil Robertson, Deputy Director of the Asia division at Human Rights Watch in Bangkok, said Hun Sen’s bodyguard unit itself was involved in rights abuses and that Hun Manet faced an enormous challenge in any bid to clean up the military's tarnished image.

“He should … take on the human rights record of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) because many of the units in the RCAF have abused human rights, so if he wants to take this on as a personal mission or as an objective in order to reform the Cambodian military, we would welcome that,” Robertson said.

According to New York-based Human Rights Watch, Hun Sen's personal bodyguard unit has been linked to a deadly March 1997 grenade attack on the political opposition.

Aside from the charge, various Cambodian military units have been accused of summary executions, arbitrary detentions, political violence, torture, illegal logging and farmland seizures, Human Rights Watch said.

"Cambodian military personnel are not held accountable for serious rights violations. Instead, Hun Sen has promoted military officers implicated in torture, extrajudicial killings, and political violence," the rights group had charged on its website last year.

Hun Sen, 58, is the longest serving leader in Southeast Asia and one of the longest serving Prime Ministers in the world, having ruled Cambodia since 1985. Observers have long speculated, according to local newspaper The Phnom Penh Post, that Hun Manet is being groomed as a potential successor.

Executive director of the Khmer Institute for Democracy Hang Chhaya said that Hun Manet's promotion is “part of the prime minister’s attempt to consolidate power in politics,” the Post reported.

Although Hun Sen's wife Bun Rany holds no elected office, she is addressed as “Lok Chumteav” (Her Excellency), a rank similar to Secretary of State.

She has also worn a military uniform in public and received salutes from generals in the RCAF, despite a law that forbids civilians from wearing uniforms or impersonating soldiers.

Hun Sen’s eldest daughter, Hun Mana, serves as the general director of the pro-government Bayon Television station.

Khmer News - January 31, 2011

-------------

hunmanetgeneral.jpg

Major-General Hun Manet (he's added another star to his uniform after this photo was taken when he was promoted by his father to his current rank)

hunseninpv16withthemiss.jpg

Hun Sen and his wife, Bun Rany, in full Army uniform despite a law that forbids civilians from wearing uniforms or impersonating soldiers.

hunsenfamilytreerfagrap.png

Hun Sen's partial family tree.

Edited by Buchholz

PAD idiots inciting the army and the people to war.

It's funny ( in a completely unfunny way ) how some groups get all het up about a scrap of land when they inhabit a country where there's so much crap going on even discounting politics which would be much more deserved of their indignation and demands that something be done. To me it's like standing in your street complaining about your neighbour's dog barking all night while behind you your own house is on fire.

Edited by mca

the parallels between North Korea and Cambodia in this conflict, both this conflict and last November's in Korea instigated to allow their newly appointed son-general to gain military power and consolidate the family's political dynasty.

hunmanetrandhunsenlasge.jpg northkoreasuccess266604.jpg

Hun Sen and his son, heir apparent Hun Manet; Kim Jong II and his son, heir apparent Kim Jong Un

Their is more on "heroic" Major-General Hun Manet's rise to the top in the other paper's editorial section today (and yet again, from someone other than Sondhi)

Info I have Buch is that Hun Sen overthrew an elected coalition in a 1997 coup, that being the case he has been there even longer than you state.

Also seem to remember reading that he had a key part in Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge regime but cant confirm because I gave the book I got that from "Brother No One" away.

Hun Sen is the longest serving leader in Southeast Asia and one of the longest serving Prime Ministers in the world, having ruled Cambodia since 1985. Observers have long speculated, according to local newspaper The Phnom Penh Post, that Hun Manet is being groomed as a potential successor.

Khmer News - January 31, 2011

Info I have Buch is that Hun Sen overthrew an elected coalition in a 1997 coup, that being the case he has been there even longer than you state.

He's been in power for 26 years (since 1985), which puts him in the rarefied-stratosphere of Southeast Asian despotic long reigns of Marcos and Suharto.

Additionally, he said last year that he plans to serve as prime minister for at least 15 more years, thus making for over 40 years with him at the controls... (plus the potential for another 20 years or so by his son, Hun Manet).

A 60 year family dynasty.

Not worth argueing over Buch, we both have different sources of info but have to agree as a military dictator he has managed to supress any opposition for a long time.

Now with elevating his son to where he is and no doubt highter he is consolidating his position for the future.

The PAD (and the militant reds) are a very dangerous bunch and should never be allowed to again hold the country to ransom. Lock em all up and throw away the keys for the good of the country.

To properly reflect reality and avoid double standards, that should read either:

PAD and the Reds are a very dangerous bunch...

or

The militant PAD and the militant Reds are a very dangerous bunch...

but anyway, to return to the topic of the thread, as mentioned previously there's more than just Sondhi who is making the same sort of assessment for Hun Manet's future being derived from Hun Sen (or as it is written here, Hun Xen) or just how convenient it is for Hun Sen to have Hun Manet head up the counter-terrorism detachment in addition to the PM Bodyguard unit of 4,000 soldiers:

sacravanoo1528.jpg

sacravano1683theterroriol.jpg

http://lg-media.blogspot.com/2009_09_16_archive.html

or questioning the propriety of Hun Manet's unprecedented rapid advancement through the Army:

Mao Zedong's grandson now China's youngest major general [... he's 40. Now, how old is Hun Manet again?]

http://ki-media.blogspot.com/2010/08/mao-zedongs-grandson-now-chinas.html

Edited by Buchholz