Smartphones: Buy Now Or Wait?

webfact

Smartphones: Buy Now or Wait?

Apple and Verizon just announced the long-awaited Verizon iPhone. Finally happy Verizon customers and unhappy AT&T customers will have the option to get the best of both worlds. The only problem is the Verizon iPhone is a 3G phone and if we can believe Verizon, 4G is just around a corner so why would you buy into a new 2 year contract on a phone that could be obsolete in less than a year. To help you answer that question and whether or not to wait for one of the new Android smartphones, we offer this chart showing some of the hotter smartphones along with estimated release dates. [more...]

Source: http://www.retrevo.com/content/page-full-width/2011/02/smartphones-buy-now-or-wait/

-- RETREVO.COM 2011-02-09

footer_n.gif

In Thailand?

Wait another five to eight years, then maybe we have 3G.

4G comes when it's obsolete.

Well no- we were in Laos a few weeks ago and my wife's smartphone worked fine on their 3G network.

Don't you want to wait for 5G??

What has this got to do with Thailand? I am British and have no interest on what networks I can use an iphone on in the US.

Since things are far from clear in Thailand about 3g, I suggest people don't spend too much on Smartphones. Anyway they only last a couple of years before they break or are superceded. Suggestion: Wellcom A88, 8K baht, works 3g on 850mhz (True 'trial'; maybe DTAC 'trial') as well as 2100Mhz, Andriod 2.1, fast, does the job.

Yours technically cynical :)

Edited by MaiChai

You'll always have newer phones coming out. Best to get a mid-range smartphone that will satisfy the majority of your needs. Better to get the A86 6000 baht or if you want A99 (10000) from welcomm. Samsung and LG have several mid-rangers that are around 7000-12000 baht.

What would be great is if the Iphone 4G will have a CDMA and GSM quadband sim and supporting 2-4 3G bands as well. Then if CAT could carry that, you can use CAT and then AIS/DTAC for the other network.

Not much relevance for Thailand, other than the classical wait/buy decision associated with almost any technological purchase? In the U.S., where phones are subsidized and one has a 2 year contract, the wait/buy/replace decision is a bit more complicated. The iPhone becoming available at Verizon, as well as coming up soon with a model refresh, along with these new higher-speed networks (some cute 4g ads on during the Superbowl), all further complicate the decision.