ลุ้น - Difficult Translation (Or Not?)

NaiGreg

ลุ้น is defined as "to push forward; promote; support; cheer" (thai-language.com)

but this does not fit the usage I see. For example "ลุ้น grand prize trip to Singapore and a pot of gold!"

Something is missing. Colloquial usage, perhaps? It seems to be associated with the anticipation or hope/expectation of winning.

Thanks for pondering-gan.

NG

Friends,

I, too, am having difficulty with the word ลุ้น. Here are some examples. I would very much appreciate help in understanding how the word is being used in the following:

1. . . . จนกระทั่งเกิดการรัฐประหารสังคมไทยได้หายใจโล่งขึ้น ไม่ลุ้นการเสียเลือดเนื้ออย่างที่เก็งกันไว้

. . . until the coup occurred; [then] Thai society breathed a sigh of relief that bloodshed did not occur as had been expected.

2. From Domnern Sathienpong:

โทรศัพท์เข้ามาลุ้นโชคกับเราลิคะ

Telephone in to win a prize.

3. พล.อ.สนธิบุญยรัตกลิน มีหวังลุ้นที่จะเป็น ผบ.ทบ.

General Sonthi Bunyaratkalin had hoped to achieve the position of Army Commander in Chief.

4. ขณะที่นายสุเทพเป็นคนบันทึกผลการนับคะแนน ท่ามกลางการรอลุ้นผลการนับคะแนนของสมาชิกด้วยใจระทึก

5. ที่นี่ไม่มีสะพานลอยผมกับเพื่อนห่ามๆ บางคนเคยนั่งลุ้นเมื่อเห็นคนข้ามถนนจากฝั่งตรงข้ามกำลังรี่ตรงมาสู่เกาะกลาง

6. จะปลูกฝังให้แพร่หลายได้อย่างไรผมก็ยังรอลุ้นอยู่

Thanks for your assistance.

The entry from Domnern pretty much covers the bases here. I've tried to translate idiomatically:

v. to cheer, root for, plug

v. to look forward eagerly (to), be in high expectation (of)

v. to win, have a good chance (to), stand a chance (of)

1. ...จนกระทั่งเกิดการรัฐประหารสังคมไทยได้หายใจโล่งขึ้น ไม่ลุ้นการเสียเลือดเนื้ออย่างที่เก็งกันไว้

...when the coup occurred, Thai society breathed a collective sigh, no longer holding their breath over the anticipation of bloodshed.

(Note: ลุ้น can indicate anticipation of an expected *negative* event.)

Call to [enter to] win a prize.

General Sonthi Bunyaratkalin stands a good chance of becoming Army Commander in Chief.

4. ขณะที่นายสุเทพเป็นคนบันทึกผลการนับคะแนน ท่ามกลางการรอลุ้นผลการนับคะแนนของสมาชิกด้วยใจระทึก

Suthep recorded the votes amidst tense anticipation of the outcome.

5. ที่นี่ไม่มีสะพานลอยผมกับเพื่อนห่ามๆ บางคนเคยนั่งลุ้นเมื่อเห็นคนข้ามถนนจากฝั่งตรงข้ามกำลังรี่ตรงมาสู่เกาะกลาง

There's no pedestrian bridge here, so some of my off-kilter friends and I enjoy sitting [on the side of the road] cheering on the pedestrians as they scurry from the opposite side of the road to the traffic island.

(Note: ลุ้น here connotes that they treat this activity like a perverse sporting event, but "cheering on" is probably not exactly the right translation, because the enjoyment is most likely from seeing close calls/accidents.)

I'm still waiting [holding my breath] to see how this [concept] can be widely established.

The entry from Domnern pretty much covers the bases here. I've tried to translate idiomatically:

v. to cheer, root for, plug

v. to look forward eagerly (to), be in high expectation (of)

v. to win, have a good chance (to), stand a chance (of)

1. ...จนกระทั่งเกิดการรัฐประหารสังคมไทยได้หายใจโล่งขึ้น ไม่ลุ้นการเสียเลือดเนื้ออย่างที่เก็งกันไว้

...when the coup occurred, Thai society breathed a collective sigh, no longer holding their breath over the anticipation of bloodshed.

(Note: ลุ้น can indicate anticipation of an expected *negative* event.)

Call to [enter to] win a prize.

General Sonthi Bunyaratkalin stands a good chance of becoming Army Commander in Chief.

Suthep recorded the votes amidst tense anticipation of the outcome.

There's no pedestrian bridge here, so some of my off-kilter friends and I enjoy sitting [on the side of the road] cheering on the pedestrians as they scurry from the opposite side of the road to the traffic island.

(Note: ลุ้น here connotes that they treat this activity like a perverse sporting event, but "cheering on" is probably not exactly the right translation, because the enjoyment is most likely from seeing close calls/accidents.)

I'm still waiting [holding my breath] to see how this [concept] can be widely established.

It is interesting to me that the RID definitions can provide a meaning to ลุ้น even though it is spoken language. The two definitions are คอยเอาใจเต็มที่ and สนับสนุน are clear enough.

Abviously with the simple นั่งลุ้น it is as if at a football match สนับสนุน But with รอลุ้น I think you could apply the first definition. เอาใจ= คอยปฏิบัติให้ถูกใจ wait for the outcome ตามใจ= แล้วแต่ใจ says something similar.

So when the chap waits for promotion he ปฏิบัติ = ดำเนินไปตามระเบียบแบบแผน waits for things to take there course. Simailarly with hope for winning or entering a competition.

The position in the sentence is more proximity than grammar hence ลุ้นโชค Try your luck รอลุ้น wait for it.

In สังคมไทยไม่ลุ้นการเสียเลือดเนื้อ society was not supporting bloodshed อย่างที่เก็งกันไว้ in the way which was speculated.

อย่าง has to go with the verb สนับสนุน does it not?

Of course it is newspeak so the view of the writer has to be taken into account, which can't be done in one sentence, but perhaps it was thought that a bloody smashing of the the demo had wide support.

Another use of รอลุ้น that I heard quite a bit last year was when people would ask whether my wife and I planned to ซาวด์ or รอลุ้น with regards to the birth of our second child.

Meaning, of course, whether we intended to learn the sex of the baby via ultrasound (the full word is อัลตร้าซาวด์), or whether we intended to "wait and see."