Farang Construction Professionals In Thailand Or Surrounding Areas

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone could advise me on what hope an MRICS QS with an MSc and two to three years PQE might have if he just turned up in Bangkok and started handing out CVs?

I'm aware of the rules regarding not being allowed to do a job that a Thai can do but I'm also aware that there's room for manoeuovre.

Failing that what about neighbouring countries?

Thanks

LMT

PS I should say this isn't a 'job wanted' ad, I'm just trying to get a feel for the market in general. Any insider info on the construction industry in Asia at large would be much appreciated.

Edited by lionmeetstiger

Having had some small-scale commercial building work done recently i would say there is a real gap in the market here for European standard construction profesionals who can pull stuff together and ensure quality for mid-scale/ smaller projects. Sadly local labour laws (+language culture etc) seem to make this a difficult niche to service. From what i have seen there are a few farangs who operate as as frontmen/gang-masters/foremen/local labour agency operators (pimps) who seem to make a bit of a living out of this but from what i have seen i am sure it can be done better. However that may not be the sort of work you are after!

Edited by wordchild

From one QS to another QS:

Thailand is a strange place to work. QSing has not really been going on here too long (just over 25 years I would guess) and there currently is not RICS type training meaning local qs’s are very limited. The good thing with qsing being newish is that it is not a listed restricted job when applying for a Work Permit (yes, you need a work permit here – be sure to bring proof of any qualifications you have), in the same way that architect is a listed protected job.

QS / Contract / Commercial jobs do not come available too often, except when there is a mega project like the new Bangkok airport last decade. The underground system have been awarding contracts and hopefully we will see companies seeking staff shortly.

Unless you have connections here, like a wife/girlfriend, then I always recommend that career wise its better to go to the Middle East or Hong Kong (followed by Singapore then Malaysia) as QSing is still very much in its infancy here. Working here you will no doubt experience periods of employment – there is not enough major works to keep us all going – and getting decent professional experience will be difficult.

www.qscthailand.com

www.thailand-construction.com