2+ Tvs On True Vision Satellite

lianab

Hi All, Getting True Vision Gold in Phuket as hubby wants HBO. Want to know instead of paying for a 2nd box/point in bedroom ( holiday home Rawai and trying to keep costs down), can you attach 2nd TV in bedroom via data cable so you can continue watching the same program downstairs where box is like we do back home? (I dont speak Tech talk sorry - Aussie girl).

Thanks Darrel and regedit,

I've passed info on to much more technical hubby to decide. I read the link Darrel and the reviews (specifically concerning Sky cable) mentioned line of sight and slight blurring opposed to running cable in an already finished off place.

Do you know if the quality of picture on a 42" if there is no line of sight is affected greatly? Also if video senders are available in Phuket or Bangkok and do you know which are the best brands?

2008bangkok, If we were there more often or if we decide to rent it out, I wouldnt mind the extra so much but we're only expecting to use it approx one week every couple of months so the 1500bht was more than I ever expected to spend without upping costs further.

Edited by lianab

Thanks Darrel and regedit,

I've passed info on to much more technical hubby to decide. I read the link Darrel and the reviews (specifically concerning Sky cable) mentioned line of sight and slight blurring opposed to running cable in an already finished off place.

Do you know if the quality of picture on a 42" if there is no line of sight is affected greatly? Also if video senders are available in Phuket or Bangkok and do you know which are the best brands?

2008bangkok, If we were there more often or if we decide to rent it out, I wouldnt mind the extra so much but we're only expecting to use it approx one week every couple of months so the 1500bht was more than I ever expected to spend without upping costs further.

Problem with the solutions proposed is that the two TVs hooked up to the one standard receiver will only give you the same channel at any one time. Incidentally even if the receiver did not have dual outputs, you could still feed the output from the receiver into a distribution box and get the same effect.

There are solutions that I am not sure are in accord with True terms of service provision.

1. Put the smartcard into a special device that will allow it to service two or more receivers.

http://www.satellitetvthailand.net/Card-Splitters/c37/p113/SmartWi-Cardsplitter/product_info.html?osCsid=2073a5613fa58fa562f40ffad8ef8bf6

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/goldid/product-detaillMaEQeKYIukx/China-Irdeto-2-Card-Splitter-Connection-Guide.html

2. Create a local area network with a Dreambox (or similar) set up as a CCAM server (using smartcard) and clients (don't have first hand experience of this and it is more complicated).

Leaving aside the possibility of running cables in your (finished) house, picture quality on a decent video sender is usually pretty similar to using a cable assuming that you dont have many concrete walls/floors between the two. So it largely depends on how far away the TVs are and what's inbetween. Perhaps you could describe the house better?

The other advantage of a video sender over cable is that it allows you to change channels from the second location (but you always only get the same channel in both places, of course). There are devices that can add this function to a cable-based system aslo. The Powermid for example.

The final advantage of a video sender is that it provides stereo sound which RF cable will not.

Hi Darrel, the house is 2 story small villa with Cable box and TV downstairs in living room. Nearly directly above it (3-3.5meters) through a concrete slab overlaid with timber floor is where the 2nd TV is in the bedroom and lounge. We would watch the TV in one or the other.

Sounds ideal for a video sender. I would go this route for the stereo sound and ability to change channels.

You may be able to find a shop that will plug one in to let you see the quality before buying.

Otherwise just get someone to run a cable between the two, and get a Powermid for channel changing.