Buying An Island

JurgenG

I've recently investigated this one. Well you may be surprised that around Indonesia, and especially near Fiji and PNG there are many islands for sale at not unreasonable prices ($100,000) I know of one now, near Bali for $150,000. But as those who have lived on one will know, the cost of getting anything to an island is about double.The cost of building is about double, and in the off season you may be stranded for days, unless you have a good boat. There are also some near Cambodia. But In this part of the world there are 2 other major issues - firstly security and keeping unwanted visitors away, and more basic than that, and by far and away the largest problem - WATER. So many islands don't have their own supply or its sub standard. That is why many smaller islands are cheap. The other problem with water is that in parts of the Pacific for instance, global warming is happening now, and islands are getting smaller as the sea rises. Buyer beware!

You cannot own land in Indonesia, not even a condo, 70 year lease is the maximum.

Do not listen to anyone who tells you otherwise, specifically if they are talking about Bali, too many scammers there, and many of people who have had their dream property lost

Yeah, there's a guy running for US president who makes $20 million per year, and that's his low-ball lie.

If I had had that kind of dosh I'd buy my own island and finance a navy to protect it and a seaplane for supply runs.

I'd probably do it in or near Fiji.

Pipe dreams.

i recall Brendon Grimshaw, the brit who paid £8000 in 1962 for Moyenne Island (just half a mile wide) in the Seychelles. Now reportedly worth upwards of 34 million euros..

was sad to learn that Brendon died a couple of months ago. His story is certainly a fascinating one.

here's a link to a piece about him a couple of months before he passed.. Brendon Grimshaw

...and here's the man himself (on his island) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdqTmBGcg3M

• Like 1

i recall Brendon Grimshaw, the brit who paid £8000 in 1962 for Moyenne Island (just half a mile wide) in the Seychelles. Now reportedly worth upwards of 34 million euros..

was sad to learn that Brendon died a couple of months ago. His story is certainly a fascinating one.

here's a link to a piece about him a couple of months before he passed.. Brendon Grimshaw

...and here's the man himself (on his island) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdqTmBGcg3M

You have to realise that £8000 in 1962 could have bought you about 4 UK houses so even then it was a lot of money.

Edited by travelmann

You have to realise that £8000 in 1962 could have bought you about 4 UK houses so even then it was a lot of money.

Average wage in 1962 was about £800 a year..... today it is £26,000... He paid 10 times the average salary so £260k, add a bit so say about £300k.

in the scheme of things (buying tropical islands) it's not really that much.. you probably can't buy much more than car sized boulder poking out of the sea for £300k in the Seychelles today.

There was a fellow who did the Robinson Crusoe thing: found a deserted island and just stayed there. I think he was an Aussie. He wrote a book about it, read it online about five years ago. Can't think of his name, but I'm trying to remember/find out. (Trilby? Filby?)

But if you're looking for a challenge, there are some Andaman islands that are pretty much deserted. You can perhaps do supply runs with the help of the sea gypsies. Might be able to negotiate a creative visa situation with the Thai gov't.

As far as I know, the government won't allow even the locals to own any piece of land on any islands. There are no legal documents. Only some islands, the owners can has the papers. else that is not true.

Huh? Totally incorrect. What about Phuket, Samui, etc? There are at least four islands in the Mu Koh Chang archipelago that are owned (legal & titled) by families whose ancestors have been there for many years...

• 2 weeks later...

There was a fellow who did the Robinson Crusoe thing: found a deserted island and just stayed there. I think he was an Aussie. He wrote a book about it, read it online about five years ago. Can't think of his name, but I'm trying to remember/find out. (Trilby? Filby?)

But if you're looking for a challenge, there are some Andaman islands that are pretty much deserted. You can perhaps do supply runs with the help of the sea gypsies. Might be able to negotiate a creative visa situation with the Thai gov't.

remember it yet?

remember it yet?

Wow, you mean people actually read these things? biggrin.png

An Island to Oneself by Tom Neale. pdf files on the net

remember it yet?

Wow, you mean people actually read these things? biggrin.png

An Island to Oneself by Tom Neale. pdf files on the net

yes I read your post.

you listed a couple of major issues.

One is getting there. An other is safety, pirate are unfortunately not things of the past. And of course there is water.

People who complain about corruption and police behavior in Thailand obviously never been to Philippines and Indonesia. So they are off my shopping list.

Burma probably too early, Cambodia I don't know

That what I was hoping there was still some undiscovered gems in Thailand .....

Yeah I know of a couple unspoiled gems, one is called Phuket and the other is Samui or something like that.

you listed a couple of major issues.

One is getting there. An other is safety, pirate are unfortunately not things of the past. And of course there is water.

People who complain about corruption and police behavior in Thailand obviously never been to Philippines and Indonesia. So they are off my shopping list.

Burma probably too early, Cambodia I don't know

That what I was hoping there was still some undiscovered gems in Thailand .....

Yeah I know of a couple unspoiled gems, one is called Phuket and the other is Samui or something like that.

You're the guy who has just woke up for 50 years of hibernation, right ?