Buying House

Hi,

I plan to buy a house next Feb in Lansak, Uthai Thani. My wifes parents live there on a property out of town, which bores me to tears whenever I go there. The plan is to sell their house and buy one closer to town. We will be looking in the 400,000 to 500,000 bht range.

First thing is to get the money there. Is it best to get my wife to open an account in Thailand and put the money in that? Can she do it from Australia?

After we find a suitable house do we go looking for a lawyer or solictor? Will they do a search on the title?

How long do these things take in Thailand?

I will only have about 5 weeks in Thailand so I would like to have an understanding of what is required before I arrive.

The house will be in my wifes name and yes, I know the implications of that.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry, but when I read this

My wifes parents live there on a property out of town, which bores me to tears whenever I go there
I have to wonder - is this for them or for you? Most Thai do not, ever, want to move. I hope that they are in real agreement and not just "whatever your say mode".

No bank is going to open an account with the account holder not present - but that would be the best process. You might look for low or no fee travelers checks as they can be cashed quickly and put into new account when you arrive.

Most home sales for cash would be buyer and seller without lawyers - you just visit land office - pay tax and have paperwork transferred. You will have to sign the money used belongs to your wife. I would take a lawyer myself, hopefully someone family knows, to keep watch. As for title search the land office has the papers so the lawyer should know what to look for and check them over.

Five weeks is not much time to find and buy (not to mention sell) so you might consider wife going first to set up account and you then transfer money and she can find or shortlist some homes. There is no real estate agents outside major cites so it is very much a drive around and ask operation.

I will only have about 5 weeks in Thailand so I would like to have an understanding of what is required before I arrive.

When you find the house you wish to buy and agree the price, etc. your wife will need to go along with the seller to the local Amphur where the documents will be transferred into your wife's name for a small fee. The Amphur keep a copy of the deeds and your wife gets one.

You will need to sign that you have no interest in the property and that the money used was your wifes'. Solicitors are not normally involved.

I don't think that she could do it from Aus., however, you could do your signing from a Thai embassy in Aus (I did this process last month in HK), otherwise you would also need to be present at the Amphur.

If she opens a bank a/c in Thailand you could TT money to it from Aus.

The whole process can be completed in a day or two.

Thanks for your help.

My inlaws are in agreement and looking forward to the move. This is all between them and my wife, not my idea. If it was up to me, they would be moving a long way from Lansak.

I am not worried about selling their house as I know this will take some time.

The travellers cheques sound like the way to go.

Thanks again.