Aircon Last Night?

UncleDonald

I hate aircon especially in Thailand.

When I arrive it usually takes a few days to get used to the heat but after that i'm ok.

Aircon just screws up my ability to acclimatize. I find that it's always way too cold after a while and when you move away from the aircon area you instantly sweat like a pig. Plus it makes you sick.

The only time it is of use is in the car but still on minimum.

If i'm too hot in bed I take a shower and the fan cools me down :D

Taking a jacket on the bus is a pain but otherwise you get cold :o

Taking the train and getting a top bunk means aircon in the face all nite :D

the worst place is the cinema and I find a jumper is normally needed. Last time I forgot and went to see LOTR and found myself going outside twice just to warm up. Ruined my enyjoyment of the film. :D

Naa aircon is a pain in the neck and it is a waste of money IMHO

Nice post Oaky,

Same as myself, moving away from an A/C makes it feel as though it's hotter outside than it actually is.

I pity the children of some of my friends that live in the BKK city centre.

They live in an A/C home. Go to and from their A/C schools in A/C buses or cars. Hang out in A/C malls etc. Makes me wonder what effects it would have on their health in later years. :D

During the day, I have the back bedroom door and windows open. The front bedroom door stays closed which allows a breeze to flow through the back bedroom, down the stairs and through the rooms downstairs and out the front door. :D

Of a night. Bedroom doors are closed and 2 out of 3 windows are opened. The middle window in each room remains closed. This allows fresh air in and stale air out, with the assistance of only a ceiling fan.

Basically, it's all what we call ventilation, something that my Thai wife and in laws can't grasp the concept of. :D

They're forever closing doors and windows preventing any flow of air and then complain all the time with monosyllabic utterances every 5 mins of 'RAWN!' while wafting a magazine in front of their faces. :D

So what do I do? I open the doors and windows and they immediately feel the benefits. But do they ever learn this cooling process? Do they fukc. :D

Week after week after week after week, I have to go through an 'air-flow dynamics demonstration' and then.....awww sod it. I give up. :o

Nice Plan Gazza .

In fact is so well thought out ill give it some thought on my own place :D

As far as the inlaws are concerned. Have you tried drawing a diagram.

In it you could include little drawings like people dead with the windows shut etc.

Alternativly here's a 100% success but it's a bit of hard work.

Find a monk who can speak english ( thats the hard bit ) Befriend him. If he grasps your concept then have him explain to the family, have him throw in a bad luck for this & good luck for that in the conversation and hey presto they all remember forever. :o

Bangkok September 8, 2005

1 am: Both marginally comfortable all night with ceiling fan set "low". Temperature 27, Dew Point 24; Enthalpy 88 kilojoules and moisture 22 grams per cubic meter air, about two pints in the bedroom. Conditions in Miami very similar. Agree with comments best to avoid aircon.

7:30 am: Seems pleasant enough to me. Wife cold in shower, "Brrrrr!" pronounced "Euuuuuu! (falling tone). They be winter coming!".

10:30: Wife claims big hurry, but stops at open market and handles mangos and talks to fruit lady for 10 minutes. Very muggy, standing around waiting, uncle sweats a good deal. Don Muang temperature 30.0, dew point 27. But this is probably higher by 2-3 degrees compared to downtown. Look into this.