MUBARAK RESIGNS, CELEBRATIONS ERUPT

News_Editor

I liked what I heard from Biden today encouraging the people of IRAN to copy the people of Egypt!

Don't forget that Mubarak was an USA and Israel ally.

Maybe that's why I'm celebrating tonight. A great - great - day for ordinary downtrodden people everywhere and - in particular - Thailand.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people don't have a clue what you are wishing for. Your hatred of Israel and the US is clouding what little judgement you might have left.

My expectation of what will transpire in Egypt is the military will run the government until such time as elections can be set up. Elections will be held with many candidates running and the most powerful party will be the Muslim Brotherhood. Candidates from the Brotherhood will be elected and Egypt will start down the road to full blown Sharia law and yet another Islamic Republic, threatening Israel with destruction and the Suez Canal with closure until chaos reigns in the Middle East.

Egypt has had peace since they signed the Camp David Accords in 1978. Don't look for it to last much longer

I am a strong advocate of democracy, but only if done properly.

By the way, if things turn south in the Middle East, look for the price of fuel to run your cars and motorcycles to elevate drastically along with massive inflation in everything you need for sustenance. I wonder if you will all be celebrating then.

You people don't have a clue what you are wishing for. Your hatred of Israel and the US is clouding what little judgement you might have left.

My expectation of what will transpire in Egypt is the military will run the government until such time as elections can be set up. Elections will be held with many candidates running and the most powerful party will be the Muslim Brotherhood. Candidates from the Brotherhood will be elected and Egypt will start down the road to full blown Sharia law and yet another Islamic Republic, threatening Israel with destruction and the Suez Canal with closure until chaos reigns in the Middle East.

Egypt has had peace since they signed the Camp David Accords in 1978. Don't look for it to last much longer

By the way, if things turn south in the Middle East, look for the price of fuel to run your cars and motorcycles to elevate drastically along with massive inflation in everything you need for sustenance. I wonder if you will all be celebrating then.

QUOTE(chuckd):".....threatening Israel with destruction and the Suez Canal with closure until chaos reigns in the Middle East."

If truth be told - isn't this what the US secretly desires right now?

QUOTE(chuckd):".....threatening Israel with destruction and the Suez Canal with closure until chaos reigns in the Middle East."

:whistling:

I'll say nothinc

I liked what I heard from Biden today encouraging the people of IRAN to copy the people of Egypt!

Who could forget? But the peace with Israel was always a cold peace not a warm peace. So, what's your point, that you are NOT for the people of Iran rising up to fight their repressive regime because Iran is an enemy of the US and Israel? That's what it sounds like, and if so, that's nauseating.

Let me make my personal port very clear..... I do not hate and religion race or creed. I do not always agree with everthing they say all do but I do not HATE. So you can remove the hate-monger remark.

Why would anyone get the wrong idea? :whistling:

Lets face reality Isreal is doomed and so is thier western friend in the EAST.

QUOTE:"Al Jazeera reported in mid-December of last year that Suleiman had sharply criticized the leaders of Hamas, accusing them of violating all of the agreements that had been reached and humiliating Egypt. He said that Egypt had not been hired to work for Hamas."

Incidentally - this Egyptian conflict may be a shot heard around the world to start WW3. The US desperately needs war.

Are you mad? Where does the the US desperately needs war come from? The USA cannot afford a war. Its economy is in a fragile state, it has a massive debt and an ongoing budget deficit. Just how would it finance a war? Which Americans are going to show up to fight a war? America is weary of war and wants to avoid war. The public sentiment is to pull back and to adopt an isolationist position. Donald Trump was interviewed by Piers Morgan a few days ago and he summed it up; Why are US assets deployed to protect South Korea and Japan for free? Let the Japanese and South Koreans pay for the protection. The last thing the USA and many of the countries in the middle east want is a war. Do you think Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Oman after investing billions in infrastructure want to see it go up in smoke? Even in Lebanon where there is an ongoing political feud, the factions pulled back as the thought of Beirut in flames was not on the agenda. The Egyptian public doesn't want a war. The Egyptian military is fed up though by meddling from Iran via Gaza and I wouldn't be too surprised to see Egypt completely seal the Gaza border and tell Hamas to leave them alone.

If there is a war in the middle east, it is Asia and Continental Europe that will suffer. Can Italy afford to lose its access to Libyan oil? Can France afford to lose its access to North African oil? Can Germany and Turkey afford to have the flow of Iranian oil interrupted? What of China, Japan and South Korea the largest consumers of middle eastern oil? The USA would be hurt by an oil supply disruption, but it is the only major power that could survive such a disruption because it can count on Canada and Mexico to keep it alive. Canada is the largest supplier of energy to the USA. As long as Canada is stable, the USA will remain stable too. War is motivated by a restricted access to scarce resources,In the event of a world crisis, The USA can retreat to North America and maintain itself, albeit with some discomfort. However, the USA won't have to worry about food, energy, water or vital raw materials. Between its strategic allies, its needs in a crisis are met. No other country can match that.

Edited by geriatrickid

Before the America bashers, Israel delegimatizers, and Iranian regime apologists get any more excited about this wonderful authentic people power revolution against a vicious autocrat in Egypt, you may just want to think twice.

Perhaps this will be a huge win for the USA after all?!? Maybe this will mean the Iranian dissidents will become emboldened again (in their case, they will really need to be willing to die for their good cause).

That brings us to the biggest losers in Egypt's transformation - Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and Tehran's clients in Syria and Lebanon. Egypt's transformation will spell the final doom of the Arab governing model of autocratic nationalism, some 60 years after it was created in Cairo. How long can Syria's Bashar al-Assad, whose regime was built on the model of Gamal Abdel Nasser, survive in a world of Arab democracy? And how will Iranians, whose popular revolution in 2009 fell short, react to the triumph of people power in Cairo?

A democratic Egypt will sooner or later transform its region - and the United States will be a beneficiary.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/12/AR2011021200483.html

Edited by Jingthing

No.

This just in today...

Mubarak slammed U.S. in phone call with Israeli MK before resignation

Radical Islam will be result of U.S. push for democracy, Mubarak told Israel's Ben-Eliezer during a phone call on Thursday.

By Reuters

Hosni Mubarak had harsh words for the United States and what he described as its misguided quest for democracy in the Middle East in a telephone call with an Israeli lawmaker a day before he quit as Egypt's president.

The legislator, former cabinet minister Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, said on TV Friday that he came away from the 20-minute conversation on Thursday with the feeling the 82-year-old leader realized "it was the end of the Mubarak era".

"He had very tough things to say about the United States," said Ben-Eliezer, a member of the Labor Party who has held talks with Mubarak on numerous occasions while serving in various Israeli coalition governments.

"He gave me a lesson in democracy and said: 'We see the democracy the United States spearheaded in Iran and with Hamas, in Gaza, and that's the fate of the Middle East,'" Ben-Eliezer said.

"'They may be talking about democracy but they don't know what they're talking about and the result will be extremism and radical Islam,'" he quoted Mubarak as saying.

Continued here: http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/mubarak-slammed-u-s-in-phone-call-with-israeli-mk-before-resignation-1.342831#article_comments

I'll say nothinc

One of your better posts. :whistling:

I'll say nothinc

One of your better posts. :whistling:

:D

QUOTE:"Al Jazeera reported in mid-December of last year that Suleiman had sharply criticized the leaders of Hamas, accusing them of violating all of the agreements that had been reached and humiliating Egypt. He said that Egypt had not been hired to work for Hamas."

Incidentally - this Egyptian conflict may be a shot heard around the world to start WW3. The US desperately needs war.

Are you mad? Where does the the US desperately needs war come from? The USA cannot afford a war. Its economy is in a fragile state, it has a massive debt and an ongoing budget deficit. Just how would it finance a war? Which Americans are going to show up to fight a war? America is weary of war and wants to avoid war. The public sentiment is to pull back and to adopt an isolationist position. Donald Trump was interviewed by Piers Morgan a few days ago and he summed it up; Why are US assets deployed to protect South Korea and Japan for free? Let the Japanese and South Koreans pay for the protection. The last thing the USA and many of the countries in the middle east want is a war. Do you think Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Oman after investing billions in infrastructure want to see it go up in smoke? Even in Lebanon where there is an ongoing political feud, the factions pulled back as the thought of Beirut in flames was not on the agenda. The Egyptian public doesn't want a war. The Egyptian military is fed up though by meddling from Iran via Gaza and I wouldn't be too surprised to see Egypt completely seal the Gaza border and tell Hamas to leave them alone.

If there is a war in the middle east, it is Asia and Continental Europe that will suffer. Can Italy afford to lose its access to Libyan oil? Can France afford to lose its access to North African oil? Can Germany and Turkey afford to have the flow of Iranian oil interrupted? What of China, Japan and South Korea the largest consumers of middle eastern oil? The USA would be hurt by an oil supply disruption, but it is the only major power that could survive such a disruption because it can count on Canada and Mexico to keep it alive. Canada is the largest supplier of energy to the USA. As long as Canada is stable, the USA will remain stable too. War is motivated by a restricted access to scarce resources,In the event of a world crisis, The USA can retreat to North America and maintain itself, albeit with some discomfort. However, the USA won't have to worry about food, energy, water or vital raw materials. Between its strategic allies, its needs in a crisis are met. No other country can match that.

What is really underway is a complex series of destabilization efforts all across the Middle East region, and perhaps the making of a wider war.

What is really underway is a complex series of destabilization efforts all across the Middle East region, and perhaps the making of a wider war.

Exactly what group is behind these so-called destabilization efforts?

(Three guesses who he will blame.)

Congratulations chuckd. You got it in one.

Congratulations chuckd. You got it in one.

Since I am so logical, the next question is... Where is your proof?

Umm it is a certain western nation which is not allowed to be spoken of here. They have been doing it across the globe for years for self gain. Dodo's

QUOTE:"Literally hundreds of Third World governments have been over-turned by revolutions, assassinations, and staged coups under the guise of Cold War tensions fueled by the black ops warfare of the CIA/KGB factions.

Uncertainty over the current uprising in Egypt is underscored by the Western roots of the looming revolution. The London Telegraph’s original headline, “America’s secret backing for rebel leaders behind Egyptian uprising” tells a story indeed.

The Muslim Brotherhood, now pivotal in Egyptian political turmoil, has been Western sponsored for decades. The CIA and other intelligence agencies partnered with the Brotherhood in opposing Nasser, who died in 1970. Similarly, Israeli, British and U.S. intelligence proved to be behind the formation and leadership of Hamas, considered an anti-Western terrorist organization."

LATEST BREAKING NEWS

Switzerland freezes all assets of Mubarak.

LaoPo

February 12, 2011

Mubarak Family Riches Attract New Focus

By NEIL MacFARQUHAR, DAVID ROHDE and ARAM ROSTON

After Hosni Mubarak's younger son, Gamal, left his job as an executive with Bank of America in London in the mid-1990s, he joined forces with Egypt's largest investment bank. Today he has a significant stake in a private equity company with interests throughout the Egyptian economy, from oil to agriculture to tourism, corporate records and interviews show.

During President Hosni Mubarak's nearly 30-year rule, he and his family were not flamboyant with their wealth, particularly by the standards of other leaders in the Middle East. While there is no indication that Gamal Mubarak or the bank were involved in illegal activity, his investments show how deeply the family is woven into Egypt's economy.

Now with Hosni Mubarak out of power, there are growing calls for an accounting to begin.

Within hours of Mr. Mubarak's resignation on Friday, Swiss officials ordered all banks in Switzerland to search for — and freeze — any assets of the former president, his family or close associates. In Egypt, opposition leaders vowed to press for a full investigation of Mr. Mubarak's finances.

Tracing the money is likely to be difficult because business in Egypt was largely conducted in secret among a small group connected to Mr. Mubarak.

"Now we open all the files," said George Ishak, head of the National Association for Change, an opposition umbrella group. "We will research everything, all of them: the families of the ministers, the family of the president, everyone."

Estimates of the Mubaraks' fortune vary wildly, including a widespread rumor that they are worth as much as $70 billion. United States officials say that figure is vastly exaggerated and put the family's wealth at $2 billion to $3 billion.

Story continues here:

http://www.nytimes.c...lines&emc=tha22

LaoPo

Bulmerke:

How about a link so we can see who is providing these "facts"?

QUOTE:"Literally hundreds of Third World governments have been over-turned by revolutions, assassinations, and staged coups under the guise of Cold War tensions fueled by the black ops warfare of the CIA/KGB factions.

Uncertainty over the current uprising in Egypt is underscored by the Western roots of the looming revolution. The London Telegraph’s original headline, “America’s secret backing for rebel leaders behind Egyptian uprising” tells a story indeed.

The Muslim Brotherhood, now pivotal in Egyptian political turmoil, has been Western sponsored for decades. The CIA and other intelligence agencies partnered with the Brotherhood in opposing Nasser, who died in 1970. Similarly, Israeli, British and U.S. intelligence proved to be behind the formation and leadership of Hamas, considered an anti-Western terrorist organization."

Softgeorge:

How about providing a link?

"SPEAKER: PETER STAPLES, MP JAJAGAGA, Queensland"

On 11 November 1975 we saw the culmination of the most blatant act of external interference in Australia’s internal affairs and its autonomy as a nation and democracy. The dismissal of the Whitlam Government was orchestrated by a combination of forces inside and outside Australia—namely the United States of America.

How about a link so we can see who is providing these "facts"?

Would calling them "facts" be classified as irony or sarcasm? :lol:

Both, with a broad touch of "skepticism".

Let me show them how to do it while I provide them another opinion on the source of the demonstrations. It also accuses the US so that's the good news for them. Unfortunately he also blames New Europe and that is the bad news.

"Why did this movement emerge? Regardless of its behaviour, in my analysis this movement appeared in response to the American arrogance towards the Islamic nation and in response to its hegemony of the Islamic world," Gaddafi said.

"It was a response to ... the submission of rulers in the Islamic world, the subservience of rulers in the Islamic world to this arrogance from Europe and the United States," he said.

http://af.reuters.com/article/tunisiaNews/idAFLDE71C0KP20110213?sp=true

That wasn't difficult at all.

The military wants a secular government and are feeling out what the outcome of free elections will be. Meeting with the youth groups is one way of determining what voter sentiment might be. In proposed changes to the constitution the military may stress an explicit guarantee of religious freedom and thereby outlawing Sharia law or at least most of it. Because these youth groups are being encouraged to form new political parties, it is hoped they will counter the more extreme elements. I would like to think that the young people do not want another Iran for their country. Only time will tell.

That's a key. They can't allow a one election election where the people choose to have an Islamic dictatorship with no more elections. In Turkey they now have a more Islamic oriented government but they have a structure of a secular state, so there will continue to be new elections.

Who could forget? But the peace with Israel was always a cold peace not a warm peace. So, what's your point, that you are NOT for the people of Iran rising up to fight their repressive regime because Iran is an enemy of the US and Israel? That's what it sounds like, and if so, that's nauseating.

Don't assume it are friends of USA and Israel, those who are the main opposition in Iran.

Not democracy is the deal for the USA, but to get some allies, no matter how repressive that regime of that ally may be and that is nauseating.

Guess what the celebration in Egypt are for? How dopey someone must be to compare it with Iran and hope for a copy?

Edited by SerpentSea