Chang Wattana Extension - What To Expect?

I'm due for my first visit to the Chang Wattana Immigration office next week to get a one month extension.

Can anyone offer a brief low down on what to expect - and what to bring?

Eg.:

- How to get there?

- Bring what (passport, departure/arrival card, 2000 baht)

- How long does it take?

- Do they speak English?

Sorry to come across as useless, but sometimes it takes a while to stitch together all the details from posts here

and even the simplest task can get confusing in Thailand...For me, anyway. The visa stuff always makes me a bit jumpy.

Believe you will need photo copies of passport data page, visa/arrival stamps and TM6 departure card. Be sure photo is recent (requirement is within six months and if the same as your passport issued five years ago is likely to be questioned).

The location is Chiang Watanns, Soi 7 (right next to CAT complex) and is last (huge) building on Soi 7 (six lanes). Turn right at end of Soi and enter the elevated drive on that road (South entrance) and immigration will be on same level directly inside on right side (just before getting to open area. If you already have TM.7 filled out bypass the counter/desks and go to end of room and enter main area through the security arch. Directly in front will be queue counters for obtaining numbers. Show the TM.7 and say 30 day extension and they will provide a queue paper with counter and number. Proceed and wait your turn. There are restaurants on ground floor below and about all the banks in Thailand. I would take taxi as it is not on an easy public transportation route.

Passport. TM6 Arrival card. Passport size photo. 1,900 Baht fee. TM7 application form.tm7.doc

How long it takes will depend on how busy they are but not long.

Correct...I was there last week. Only other thing you'll need is photocopies as described by lopburi3 (3 in total).

From stepping into the hall until I walked out with my visa, took exactly 60 minutes! And they were VERY busy. It's a breeze.

And I agree, taxi is the best. Unless you want to take a train from Hua Lumphong to Laksi, then a 5 minute motorbike taxi ride to Government Complex.

A bit tedious, as the train will take you about an hour to get there. Only 5 Baht out of rush hours!

I live in the Sukhumvit area which is a long taxi ride (250Bt+) from Changwattana. So to save a bit of Bt, I take the BTS to Mo Chit and then take a taxi from there.

I extended my Retirement visa another year a couple of weeks ago and it was simple.

As an American I did the following all in the same day.

1) Visit ACS to get my affidavit of income (charge of $50USD and the US embassy staff didn't even check the three most recent monthly statements I brought from my property manager who rents my house in the US). Took about an hour.

2) Visit Samitivej Sukhumvit hospital to get a medical certificate (cost me 1000Bt and took an hour)

3) Visited Immigration at Changwattana with my passport and copies of all the pages with old visa, arrival card, etc. paid my 1900Bt and got my 1yr extension to my OA retirement visa.

Cheers

Did it and all went well. Thanks for all your help.

I had all the items I needed, but as could be expected, all unforeseen needs are catered to on the basement floor: Passport photo booth, photocopy service and ATMs in abundance.

The only thing that tripped me a bit was that the entrance to the main immigration office hall is hidden behind a partition wall in the smallish form-filling entrance area.

Hours are mentioned in another thread, but they are:

8.30 - 16.00 with a lunch break between 12.00 - 13.00