Thai - Cambodian Border Conflict

bergen

I live less than 20 km east of the disputed area, and since things seemed quiet yesterday I drove through the war zone (rds 2248, 221, 2335) on my way to some shopping in Kantharalak, and had a look at the bombings. A few small houses had been hit and burned, and a school had some roof damage. Everything was calm, no roadblocks, several film crews, and also met a convoy with The Royal Princess and other VIPs arriving at the damaged school.

post-24958-0-84265200-1297483810_thumb.j post-24958-0-72553600-1297483885_thumb.j

post-24958-0-02332200-1297484113_thumb.j post-24958-0-50821000-1297483965_thumb.j

post-24958-0-96475500-1297484310_thumb.j post-24958-0-60983300-1297484483_thumb.j

post-24958-0-55177100-1297484610_thumb.j post-24958-0-78182800-1297484665_thumb.j

Edited by bergen

Good to hear nothing too bad going down, family said they can see star bursts fron the village, but we are a Lao area nothing to fear. Will be down for a drink in a few weeks. jim

I'll keep the beer cold!

Thanks for the photos.

And as safe as you may feel, keep in mind that while the Cambodian artillery pieces are mostly Soviet era howitzers, some do have a range of up to 38km.

Artillery shells can have a mind of their own. Unexploded ordinance is common to old munitions used in humid zones. Both Thai and Cambodian forces, have their share, so please exercise caution, even if an area seems peaceful enough. The Thais aren't given to marking off danger zones in the same detail as western european countries that have had experience with WWII leftovers.

Good to see things are normal enough for you to be living back home Bergen.

The Kantaralak economy is doing well from all the Thai squaddies' spending. You'd expect it to be booze, but its more like knickers and washing powder if my observations in Tesco are anything to go by. Hope that is no reflection of their performance under fire :rolleyes:

Thanks for the photos.

And as safe as you may feel, keep in mind that while the Cambodian artillery pieces are mostly Soviet era howitzers, some do have a range of up to 38km.

Artillery shells can have a mind of their own. Unexploded ordinance is common to old munitions used in humid zones. Both Thai and Cambodian forces, have their share, so please exercise caution, even if an area seems peaceful enough. The Thais aren't given to marking off danger zones in the same detail as western european countries that have had experience with WWII leftovers.

I am a realist, but I'm feeling pretty relaxed at the time being. When (if) they start firing guns and rockets again - I'll be aware! :blink:

There have been stories from the locals about rockets landing behind the hospital in Nam Yun 13 km further East from me, Tesco Lotus burning in Kantharalak, and Khmer soldiers already coming across the border several places - all rumours!

A few of the Thais that helped building our house were abducted by the Khmer in the days when Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge resided just across the border. Also as mentioned in an earlier topic, there was a border battle at Chong Bok, Nam Yun, between Thai and Vietnamese soldiers in 1985, and the same year "Cambodian soldiers" robbed the bank in Nam Yun, and took a doctor from the hospital hostage, before they were surrounded by Thai soldiers and eventually killed in a nearby temple, so the locals have a history of fearing the Cambodians .......

lucky for me I have not. :whistling:

• Like 1

Good to see things are normal enough for you to be living back home Bergen.

The Kantaralak economy is doing well from all the Thai squaddies' spending. You'd expect it to be booze, but its more like knickers and washing powder if my observations in Tesco are anything to go by. Hope that is no reflection of their performance under fire :rolleyes:

Cheers SantiSuk :D

• Like 1