Fortunetellers

maerim

Maerim,

Glad to hear those beers were drinkable.

Couldn't agree with you more. If all fortune tellers were hung, quartered, brought back to life, and run through the process again, I wouldn't lose any sleep. Sad to see how many Thais fall for this nonsense... many of them are slaves to it. Every time I hear of a Thai running off to "pray" (more properly, "make a wish") at Erawan Shrine, I feel like cranking up the old Stevie Wonder song "Superstition":

Very superstitious, nothin' more to say,

Very superstitious, the devil's on his way,

Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass,

Seven years of bad luck, good things in your past

When you believe in things that you don't understand,

Then you suffer,

Superstition ain't the way, no, no, no

May all fortune tellers burn in ###### for eternity. If that's too much to ask: may every beer they buy be flat and redolent of a skunk's bunghole.

Here I am.. to add some Asian flavor to this subject.

The fortunetellers in Thailand and that Card game.

I do not believe in that and I have not heard any explanation of how it can work out.

But let me explain the basics of Horoscopes from the little knowledge I have in this area, which I have heard from my Grand Pa.

According to Astrology every human in this Planet has a relationship to one of the stars that exists in the Universe. Depending on the position of your Star you will get your Personality and your Destiny.

This is nothing to do with Religions. But even in Christianity when Jesus was born, a bright Star appeared in the as a reflection of his birth by giving the world the indication of the birth of a strong person.

Based on this logic the subject of “Astrology” has started and that is the starting point of a Horoscope. The principal of any Horoscope lies with the Time of Birth of an Individual.

The Astrologer will be able to calculate this according to the time given to him by the Doctors indicating the Birth Time of the Person.

For example, as an Asian, I have a horoscope for myself and if I give the Birth Time in it to an Astrologer without telling my Gender, he will be able to tell me whether I am a Man or a Woman.

If I can give him the Chart to them, they can even tell me what Year, Date I was born.

Based on this, I know that there is some logic behind Astrology.

As I said before, Horoscope would give you an indication what are the successful period of your life and what are the weak periods for your life.

This will mainly depend on the influence of the Sun and other Planets over your Star.

Now that is the logic of these Horoscopes in simple terms.

Then the Myths that people have created by themselves over the years.

Winning a lottery, Fortune Telling and all sorts of things can not be explained in any scientific terms.

Normally the people who go to this kind of Fortunetellers to get some opinion about the future and their luck, are weak in their mind or some are facing problems that they can not cope up alone without knowing any answer or some are too greedy for money and dreaming to fall them from the sky to make their Dreams come true.

So these Fortunetellers, in a way give them some hope and make their minds stronger by giving them hope.

By doing that, some people will be able to sort out the problems they face thus becoming blind followers of these people all the time.

In the contrary, if you go to an Astrologer and get an opinion of your Horoscope they will give you an opinion about the period that you are passing at this moment and the future. Based on this, the person will be able to avoid taking risks or to face with some new work with confidence.

But that is just an opinion and it is always possible for the person to change their fate by doing what they believe in. So as I said before, the people who go behind these things are mainly the people who are weak in controlling their own mind. I have seen Asian’s have this weakness more than any other regions.

To give one classic example, me and my Thai wife met and lived together for around 2 Yrs after we met and before I informed my Family officially. The first thing they did was, took her Horoscope and mine and matched it. We allowed it coz it always should match if two people go with each other. As the way we believed, it did matched 100%. Now you may wonder what a stupid idiot I am? :D

Yes, me too. I do not believe in this. But I did it. I do not know why?

If you ask, what will happen to our relationship if it did not match. Nothing will happen. Then we will make our mind thinking “Horoscopes will not always tells the truth”. :o

This is my opinion.