Visa Runs Out Soon. What Are My Options For Staying In Thailand?

Hello all,

Hoping to become a part of a expat community here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I've been travelling around Thailand for the past 3 months and my visa will run out on the 17th feb. I had a 2 months tourist visa with an extension.

I'd like to stay in Thailand for like 3-6 months, possibly more. My flight goes back home from Bangkok on the morning of the 16th.

What are my options? I am 32 years old poker player so I can easily live here and work from here.

I am currently in Chiang Mai and heard that I could take a bus to Ventiane and stay there for a night while getting a visa at the Thai Embassy. What I'm confused about is what kinda visa I should apply for. There seem to be several different types and I'd of course like to get one with the least amount of travelling over the border.

If there's any information that I need to post, please let me know. P.S. Im a UK citizen with residence in Denmark.

Thanks in advance,

-Alex

Edited by alexpoker

I am 32 years old poker player so I can easily live here and work from here.

Unless that is being done on trips outside of Thailand it would be illegal. Working without a work permit is serious enough. Gambling is also illegal.

I am 32 years old poker player so I can easily live here and work from here.

Unless that is being done on trips outside of Thailand it would be illegal. Working without a work permit is serious enough. Gambling is also illegal.

I presume he plays poker online. Would that be considered both working & be illegal?<_<

Edited by ElCata

He just announced it to the world on an open forum so I expect many people might become aware. There could be a number of issues and all it takes is one unhappy camper to spoil the party.

1. Work - illegal without a work permit.

2. Income - tax due on income brought into Thailand in year earned.

3. Gambling - illegal.

4. Proxy use to bypass blocked websites - illegal.

He just announced it to the world on an open forum so I expect many people might become aware. There could be a number of issues and all it takes is one unhappy camper to spoil the party.

1. Work - illegal without a work permit.

2. Income - tax due on income brought into Thailand in year earned.

3. Gambling - illegal.

4. Proxy use to bypass blocked websites - illegal.

Totally agree.

First of all I'd like to thank those of you who gave me the information I needed - Beechguy and gotlost, thanks!

No need to worry about playing online poker. I know plenty of poker players who live in Thailand and also play poker online at the same time. It's not really an issue. I am aware that gambling is illegal here. Gambling in the form of home games is actually also illegal in Denmark, if you announce it in a public forum. It still happens tho.

Edited by lopburi3
illegal activity solicitation removed

"No need to worry about playing online poker. I know plenty of poker players who live in Thailand"

There you go then.. talk to them for advice... What do they do?

If you're really sure you can make a living from it, why not just live in Macou and holiday here.