New Lifan 250 Models

kvic

Lifan Thailand site is showing 2 new 250 models coming soon (one street, one looks like motard), but through google translate looks like they will be imported. I assume this would mean possibly higher price than those built here?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link?

The shop in Pantip plaza has a few Lifans for sale but I think they're the 200cc models. Clones of a Honda dirt bike. They sell them next to various plastic vehicles for toddlers... confidence-inspiring! :)

Sorry, lifanthailand.com.

I have followed TV for a while, but only posted once before. Considering a d-tracker, but looking at alternatives.

There are two motorcycles currently available from Lifan. They are the 200 Cross (factory name LF200 GY-5) which is based on older but bulletproof Honda designs and the Custom V250 (LF250B) which is basically a Yamaha Virago clone. Then, recently passed emissions and hopefully to be released soon is the Saturn Storm motard (It's unknown if that will be the name used in Thailand, factory name is LF250 GY-7) and possibly later on the LF400 cruiser. These bikes are already manufactured (not merely assembled) here in Thailand. It's just a question of whether Lifan Thailand will decide it's worth it to sell the models not yet offered.

My apologies to all those getting sick of these pictures. Been getting a lot of mileage out of them. And thanks to the original owners.

Lifan Cross 200 Currently available at ~46,000 baht. (less than 1/3 the price of a Kawasaki KLX250)

right-side-sm.jpg

Lifan Saturn Storm (LF250 GY-7) Price unknown.

2_lifan_lf250gy-7-02-1.jpg

Lifan Custom V250 (LF250B ) Currently available at ~78,000 baht.

DSCF0005.jpg

Lifan LF400 If sold in Thailand, estimated to be 120,000-140,000 baht.

93040d1210449124-motos-chinas-lf400-lifan-2.jpg

There are a few of threads running about the launch of Lifan in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/420555-lifan-gy200-a5/page__st__75__p__4213074__hl__lifan__fromsearch__1#entry4213074

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/360126-new-400cc-v-twin-for-150000-baht/page__st__50__p__4207540__hl__lifan__fromsearch__1#entry4207540

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/429490-lifan-custom-v250/page__st__50__p__4185276__hl__lifan__fromsearch__1#entry4185276

You need to contact Lifan via their website, www.lifanthailand.com to find a dealer nearest you.

Edited by metisdead
Price correction as per request.

I just noticed the website has been updated. kvic is probably referring to the LF250-19 and LF250GY-2. Last I heard the LF250-19 was supposed to be just a concept. The website says in Thai these bikes will be available this year. Lifan seems to be capitalizing on the Asian free trade agreement on 250cc and below bikes. The more the merrier!

lf250-19_T.jpg

ScreenHunter_01Feb131943.gif

ScreenHunter_02Feb131944.gif

And here is a modified Lifan LF250B.

ScreenHunter_01Feb031327.gif

Confirm RichardBKK's report that the Lifan Custom V-250 (my bike is shown in Scuba's photos #3) is 78K all in. I've added a Boss windscreen, and the smoke shown on the lower pipe (from the upper joint) seems fixed by the dealer at the 1,000 km. oil change. Utterly nothing wrong, and a lot right. Setup on this bike is that 5th gear is more like overdrive, 120 true (gps) takes a good while. Extremely comfy for us cruiser-accustomed types, and much more energetic than Boss/Phantom up to 110. Getting so far 35kms/l, but gasahol 95 is called for (Cross 200 as well).

I just noticed the website has been updated. kvic is probably referring to the LF250-19 and LF250GY-2. Last I heard the LF250-19 was supposed to be just a concept. The website says in Thai these bikes will be available this year. Lifan seems to be capitalizing on the Asian free trade agreement on 250cc and below bikes. The more the merrier!

lf250-19_T.jpg

ScreenHunter_02Feb131944.gif

And here is a modified Lifan LF250B.

ScreenHunter_01Feb031327.gif

Yes, these are the ones I was referring to. I know, would have been helpful to post the model numbers to begin with. I like the looks of the LF250GY-7, but had read on another thread that it probably wouldn't be released in Thailand as of yet, and that another 250 motard would precede it. Looks like the GY-2 might be that bike, but it doesn't quite look as good. The question I have is the listing on the website translated by google says that these bikes will be imports. I know Lifan has a manufacturing facility here, so could it be a translation error, or is it correct? If so, would that mean these bikes would be more expensive than those manufactured here? I've read the different views on Chinese bikes, and probably would normally steer away from them, but if they are made here and can be serviced locally, which seems to be the case for CM, and the price is cost effective enough I would at least consider it.

• 4 weeks later...

Confirm RichardBKK's report that the Lifan Custom V-250 (my bike is shown in Scuba's photos #3) is 78K all in. I've added a Boss windscreen, and the smoke shown on the lower pipe (from the upper joint) seems fixed by the dealer at the 1,000 km. oil change. Utterly nothing wrong, and a lot right. Setup on this bike is that 5th gear is more like overdrive, 120 true (gps) takes a good while. Extremely comfy for us cruiser-accustomed types, and much more energetic than Boss/Phantom up to 110. Getting so far 35kms/l, but gasahol 95 is called for (Cross 200 as well).

I have just purchased the LF250B, same as yours and would like to know where you got that rack and box for yours???

At 80K mine is sounding like top end, can push it up, but doesn't sound happy at 100K. Mind you I only have 500K on it now.

Have you seen any other options around for this bike?

Thanks

BobM

On another thread on Lifan 250B, it is noted that you can change out the primary sprocket to a bigger diam. to cure this low gear issue. I get maybe 10 feet in first, almost don't need it with the torque. A yamaha 250 virgo gear was used and altho it is narrow, will do if you keep chain tention up. Solution to that is to change out the secondary sprocket at the same time to the Yam. My 250 is not comfortable at 100 to 110 K. Anyone else feel this?

• 7 months later...

I have had my custom 250 for about a month. I like the bike and when it runs it runs well. I may have gotten a lemon. I like to ride and I will go for 200 to 300 k rides 4 or 5 times a week. A day after I took it home it seemed to be losing power at the top end of all gears. Next day I was going to run it in to the shop. Went to start it. Heard a pop power went out. Took it in picked it up the next day. Mechanic said it was just a fuse. Felt somewhat relieved but back of my mind wondering why fuse blew. Drove home and run well. Rained next couple of days. Took it out the next nice day. Run good got about 75 k from my house. And it started acting up. So turned around and before I knew it I was running on one cylinder. I would pull the clutch in rev the engine and put in gear it would run a bit then lose a cylinder again. So again took it back to the shop. I thought might a jet plugged or bad gas or something simple. So I stayed and waited. He took everything apart blew everything out put it back together. Said a jet was plugged. But when he put bit back together he left the fuel filter off. Seemed to be running better. Rode a couple more days. Same thing again. Now he is saying it is a fuel pump. And because of the flood it will take a month.

I really like the looks of the bike. It has enough get up and go until about 110. Can get it up to 125 but really doesn't feel good. I think the bike is to light. I put crash bars on and that helped with the little wobble at 120.

I hope after the fuel pump. I will not have any problems

Update

I was in to the dealership to change the oil in my Ryuka. The told me my Lifan was done. A full three weeks before the said. He told me it was my carberatuer. Evidently a new Lifan came in so the robbed parts off that. Anyway I quickly made arrangements to get a ride back. ( harder than you ma think everyone is harvesting rice.) I picked it up sounded great. I drove it through town perfect. I got on highway or road 24 and opened up. Got up to the 110 mark and after about two kilos noticed my speedometer doing a little dance then soon after I started losing power and then running on one cylinder. I turn around and drive back to town. I have to stop to turn on the road into Det Udom. So when I take off again it seems to be running well. I take it back to the shop. I use my very little Thai to tell him it is not running well again and ask him to try it. He comes back says it runs fine. I call my girlfriend to translate the problem. He then proceeds to tell her that I need to bring it back in 5 days he will send it to the main dealer. I say ok and leave I make it back to 24 before it loses power and will only go about 40k. So I turn around a leave it. And have someone come pick me up. Evidently he told my uncle in law that he has now replaced everything he don't know what is wrong. Now supposedly going to be another month. Will give another update.

Update

I was in to the dealership to change the oil in my Ryuka. The told me my Lifan was done. A full three weeks before the said. He told me it was my carberatuer. Evidently a new Lifan came in so the robbed parts off that. Anyway I quickly made arrangements to get a ride back. ( harder than you ma think everyone is harvesting rice.) I picked it up sounded great. I drove it through town perfect. I got on highway or road 24 and opened up. Got up to the 110 mark and after about two kilos noticed my speedometer doing a little dance then soon after I started losing power and then running on one cylinder. I turn around and drive back to town. I have to stop to turn on the road into Det Udom. So when I take off again it seems to be running well. I take it back to the shop. I use my very little Thai to tell him it is not running well again and ask him to try it. He comes back says it runs fine. I call my girlfriend to translate the problem. He then proceeds to tell her that I need to bring it back in 5 days he will send it to the main dealer. I say ok and leave I make it back to 24 before it loses power and will only go about 40k. So I turn around a leave it. And have someone come pick me up. Evidently he told my uncle in law that he has now replaced everything he don't know what is wrong. Now supposedly going to be another month. Will give another update.

are u sure its not a tiger boxer ?/ :D

lf250-19_T.jpg

these new lifans look nice ,if its reliable it will sell like hotcakes

I have heard so many good things about Lifan from America. But everyone here told me not to buy one. I am wondering if it has something to do with were they are put together. Mine was put together in Thailand. But again maybe I got a lemon.

Update

Why? Is that what yours did?

Update

Why? Is that what yours did?

in a word ,YES

every time they "fixed it" a few miles later something else broke ,fell off or started leaking oil again (which nobody could apparently fix,at the dealership service place or even the factory )

(serviced about 6 times in 2 months )

i got so fcuked off bringing it to the service centre i nearly took a sledgehammer to it but my wife and cold beer calmed me down enough to walk away from it ,those people should not be allowed to sell/service motorbikes

Field support by manufacturers who sell relatively few bikes is going to be hit and miss (saving those v. expensive imports). Mechanics simply will not know the machines and their particular characteristics, let alone have a sense of likely problems. It's part of the territory that comes with buying and should cause no surprise.

Either the buyer is an experienced mechanic himself or should keep a second bike and possess the patience of a saint known for patience. We pay for their learning curve.

I've owned both, and although the Lifan had had no problems, I left it for 8 weeks and it won't start. 'Course it had gasahol 95 in it. Will report back if it's anything other than a fuel prob. (I don't keep a truck, so that's why I'm not trying out the dealer.)

Meanwhile, my 'Zuki Hayate has been perfect, and I mean to an owner who demands perfection in a new purchase. And it started (Fi, however).

Edited by CMX

Field support by manufacturers who sell relatively few bikes is going to be hit and miss (saving those v. expensive imports). Mechanics simply will not know the machines and their particular characteristics, let alone have a sense of likely problems. It's part of the territory that comes with buying and should cause no surprise.

Either the buyer is an experienced mechanic himself or should keep a second bike and possess the patience of a saint known for patience. We pay for their learning curve.

I've owned both, and although the Lifan had had no problems, I left it for 8 weeks and it won't start. 'Course it had gasahol 95 in it. Will report back if it's anything other than a fuel prob. (I don't keep a truck, so that's why I'm not trying out the dealer.)

Meanwhile, my 'Zuki Hayate has been perfect, and I mean to an owner who demands perfection in a new purchase. And it started (Fi, however).

i know a bit about bikes but im very far from a mechanic and thats why i read forums like this , ive owned a lot and worked on some before but i was backed into a corner on that one because it was under warranty and at that time i was still naive enough to think they might fix it properly ( but dont worry ,they didnt :rolleyes:)

it invalidates most warrantys if you decide to fix things by yourself so i brought every issue to their service centre although looking back all that was a waste of time because the bike normally came back with the same or new problems and i just gave up because either they couldnt fix it or wouldnt fix it because it was too expensive or they didnt have the parts

the phrase " u get what u pay for " gets thrown around too often for my liking by xyz company so they can charge more than necessary (harley davison riders shoot me now :D)

for me Tiger motors was a lesson learned about cheap 250cc motorcycles and i wont knock the other small companies (some of which may be great) but i will stick to the big 4 japs in terms of cost effective motorcycling in thailand ( and i dont just mean the ticket price because service centres ,dealerships ,reputation, experience ,parts ,networks are equally if not more important in my decision )

i respect any motorcycle enthusiast regardless of the cost or brand of his bike and for the people who are driving those kyms /syms and lifans and keeways and (help me richard ,whats the other names ? :) ) post honest feedback if the bike does what you need it to do and you will help those companies get off the ground and sort the good from the bad so others can avoid buying a sub -standard P.O.S.

fingers crossed the chinese/taiwan,korea /thai bikes will come into line

in quality / reliabilty and be on par with the japanese /european level in the next few years and give everyone so much more choice on the market

8 years ago, I rode Taiwanese export scooters in Europe. Read about them as well. Neither Sym nor Kymco are known as much as Japanese models for mass production performance bikes, but their design, production, and quality control are far superior those that I have purchased (Boxer, Lifan) or other non-name brands from China.

From the point of view of production standards, Korea and Taiwan are approaching standards of Europe and the U.S., if they have not in some markets exceeded them.

Still, the point remains; service for non-Japanese bikes in the med-small class two-wheelers will be second or third rate for a long time to come, and factory support (time delays, mis-communications) a serious concern.

By the time here that I wanted a small cruiser that could hold a real GPS 120 or so, the only possibility was the Lifan 250.

I not believe that current Tiger or Lifan motorcycles are bad, sure some apparently get a lemon, and leak oil or something else. Most get fixed without any problems.

For bbigman21 I hope you can inform me informed about the repairs on your motorcycle. And not worry to much about a bit oil leaking...at least the Lifan dealer did not say it was normal... That was what a owner of a brand new Kawasaki Versys was told by an official Kawasaki dealer...

In 2012 Lifan will likely be the first Chinese motorcycle manufacturer which starts to sell supersport motorcycles. With a 998cc, 16 titanium valves DOHC, in-line four-cylinder engine with crossplane crankshaft engine build by Yamaha basically the same engine as the YZF-R1.

Also hereby a better picture of the Lifan LF250-19, which will “very likely” enter the line-up of Lifan Thailand in 2012. Price is expected to be about 76,000 THB, but anything can happen depending on competition and other market developments...

post-12170-0-94933000-1320212275_thumb.j

post-12170-0-84506300-1320212290_thumb.j

post-12170-0-89714300-1320212315_thumb.j

Also hereby a better picture of the Lifan LF250-19, which will "very likely" enter the line-up of Lifan Thailand in 2012. Price is expected to be about 76,000 THB, but anything can happen depending on competition and other market developments...

Hope this really will happen. Would be a nice completion for Lifans 200-250cc bikes, the Custom Cruiser and the Cross200. And for this price they would sell some of it for sure.

I not believe that current Tiger or Lifan motorcycles are bad, sure some apparently get a lemon, and leak oil or something else. Most get fixed without any problems.

For bbigman21 I hope you can inform me informed about the repairs on your motorcycle. And not worry to much about a bit oil leaking...at least the Lifan dealer did not say it was normal... That was what a owner of a brand new Kawasaki Versys was told by an official Kawasaki dealer...

In 2012 Lifan will likely be the first Chinese motorcycle manufacturer which starts to sell supersport motorcycles. With a 998cc, 16 titanium valves DOHC, in-line four-cylinder engine with crossplane crankshaft engine build by Yamaha basically the same engine as the YZF-R1.

Also hereby a better picture of the Lifan LF250-19, which will “very likely” enter the line-up of Lifan Thailand in 2012. Price is expected to be about 76,000 THB, but anything can happen depending on competition and other market developments...

I will let you know when my bike gets back. I bought my Ryuka from same dealer. It runs great I have put almost 6000 k on it. But when first got it carb leaked gas. Dealer said some bikes just do that. It only leaks if I don't turn the gas off when not running.

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on the Lifan 400 cc cruiser or the 250 cc dirt bike.

That concept bike looks ok and at 80,000 would sell a heap.

I paid 115,000 for my Honda 250 cc CBR. The Honda is a quality bike so it will be interesting to see what they can put out for 80,000. I'd be disappointed if it was not quality.

Any word on the Lifan 400 cc cruiser or the 250 cc dirt bike.

That concept bike looks ok and at 80,000 would sell a heap.

I paid 115,000 for my Honda 250 cc CBR. The Honda is a quality bike so it will be interesting to see what they can put out for 80,000. I'd be disappointed if it was not quality.

named-must-your-fear-be-before-banish-it-you-can-yoda-152077.jpg

You will be, you will be.

Broke a friends 200 Cross's footpeg just standing at feeling out the suspension this week. You except issues when you pay so little, and I'm still thinking of buying 2 for father/son play bikes. Added bonus is you can be certain there be extra wrenching practice for my son with the Lifan.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Lifan custom 250 is back from shop today only one week longer than expected. I have owned the bike for two months maybe have had it in my possession for two weeks have only put 1400 kilo on it. So far have replaced carb voltage regulator and starter. Seems to be running a lot better. No power dips. Will take it for a 200 kilo ride tomorrow shake the bugs out. Will update.

On another note when I was at the shop the had another new bike called a Superlight. It looks quite similar to the Lifan custom 250. but had a windshield and floor boards. It hade a two stroke 200 cc on it instead of the v twin 250. The gas tank was shaped different. And it had a mat black finish. It also had a gas gauge and a tach in addition to the spedo. Oh lest I forget the tires the were huge. I really liked it. Price 59,000.

I am just afraid to buy another Chinese bike!

Well my Lifan custom 250 is back from shop today only one week longer than expected. I have owned the bike for two months maybe have had it in my possession for two weeks have only put 1400 kilo on it. So far have replaced carb voltage regulator and starter. Seems to be running a lot better. No power dips. Will take it for a 200 kilo ride tomorrow shake the bugs out. Will update.

On another note when I was at the shop the had another new bike called a Superlight. It looks quite similar to the Lifan custom 250. but had a windshield and floor boards. It hade a two stroke 200 cc on it instead of the v twin 250. The gas tank was shaped different. And it had a mat black finish. It also had a gas gauge and a tach in addition to the spedo. Oh lest I forget the tires the were huge. I really liked it. Price 59,000.

I am just afraid to buy another Chinese bike!

The Superlight is not a Lifan product, it is a Keeway Superlight 200, which is a single-cylinder 200cc four-stroke – the whole design is more a sportscruiser.

The-Keeway-Superlight-200-SportCruiser_1.jpg

I'm sure you can find more information about the Keeway Superlight 200 by searching for "Keeway superlight in Thailand" in any search engine

Edited by Richard-BKK

I have just purchased the LF250B, same as yours and would like to know where you got that rack and box for yours???

At 80K mine is sounding like top end, can push it up, but doesn't sound happy at 100K. Mind you I only have 500K on it now.

Have you seen any other options around for this bike?

Thanks

BobM

Bob,

Sorry to be late getting back. The top box and its carrier came from a shop here in Chiang Mai that sells Platinums, but accessories as well. The box is Chinese, but big and tough, and it detaches. The base is custom made and attached using the two rear 'chrome strip' bolts, and is further supported by the rear nut on the passenger seat, screwed into a lock bolt underneath the fender. 3K baht all in. Just took it on a little tour of the north country (1K) and it was staunch.