รับใช้

DavidHouston

Friends,

Is there any difference between the meanings of these two sentences"

"มีอะไรจะให้ผมรับใช้ครับ" and

"มีอะไรจะให้ผมรับใช้ไหมครับ"?

Is the first, "What can I do for you?" and the second, "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Finally, is the following a valid Thai question, "ผมรับใช้อะไรบ้างครับ"? to mean "What can I do for you?"

Thanks for your help.

รับใช้ is a word of subservience--probably best translated with English "serve". But subservience is more socially acceptable--even expected--here, so it might also be translated as "help" or just "do" in English.

In actual practice the two sentence you gave are--assuming they're used in the correct social context--probably close to interchangeable. But let's dig a little bit into the grammatical differences anyway.

In the first sentence, without ไหม, the speaker knows (or assumes) there is some service to be performed. In the second sentence, the speaker is inquiring whether there is some service to be performed.

"มีอะไรให้ผมรับใช้ครับ" = "How may I be of service?"

"มีอะไรให้ผมรับใช้ไหมครับ" = "Is there anything I can do to be of service?"

(I took จะ out of both sentences--it's not really grammatically necessary.)

So in the first sentence, อะไร is the primary question word. In the second, ไหม is the question word and อะไร is a pronoun = "something/anything". The first one might be more likely to be said after being summoned, i.e. you know the summoner has something for you to do, you just don't know what yet. But it seems like either one could really be used in such a scenario.

I would say there is no diffenrence between those 2 sentences.

You can use those 2 in the same situation. If you go to the hotel or restaurant, the service officers might ask you those questions for sure.

However, your last sentence "ผมรับใช้อะไรบ้างครับ"?, I've never ever seen any Thai people use it.

Because you misplaced some words, so "ผมรับใช้อะไรบ้างครับ"? can be translated directly as 'I do what for you?' .

In term of Thai structure and your context, I would say you better use "มีอะไรจะให้ผมรับใช้ครับ" and "มีอะไรจะให้ผมรับใช้ไหมครับ"?.

In term of Thai structure and your context, I would say you better use "มีอะไรจะให้ผมรับใช้ครับ" and "มีอะไรจะให้ผมรับใช้ไหมครับ"?.

I hardly ever hear Thai people use "ผม" unless it is strickly necessary, which I think isn't in this case.

I would say there is no diffenrence between those 2 sentences.

You can use those 2 in the same situation. If you go to the hotel or restaurant, the service officers might ask you those questions for sure.

However, your last sentence "ผมรับใช้อะไรบ้างครับ"?, I've never ever seen any Thai people use it.

Because you misplaced some words, so "ผมรับใช้อะไรบ้างครับ"? can be translated directly as 'I do what for you?' .

Is this Hotel speak? I know it is widely understood, but it compares unfavourably with the meaning of the word รับใช้ which is more like a state of willing servitude, than a doing thing. A postition taken in return for things obtained, student to teacher, child to parent and in this case presumably, staff to company, personified by customer/guest. The person in that position doesn't have to say so does he? Can I do anything for you?. มีอะไรให้ผมทำไหม คุณจะให้ผมทำอะไรครับ

Anyone have any view on this?

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Here is an excerpt from the original short story from the latest Matichon Weekly:

"บ่ายของวันงานเฉลิมฉลองคืนสุดท้ายหลวงพ่อเรียกเณรรูปนั้นเข้าพบ เมื่อมาถึงกุฏิหลวงพ่อ เณรเคาะประตูสองถึงสามครั้งได้ยินเสียง "เชิญ" เลื่อนประตูออกเห็นหลวงพ่อกำลังนั่งจิบชาอ่านหนังสือพิมพ์

"หลวงพ่อมีอะไรจะให้ผมรับใช้ครับ?"

"เปล่าหรอก เดี๋ยวรอเสี่ยเพ้งมาก่อน หลวงพ่อจะพูดกับเขาให้เรื่องการเรียนของเณร ก็เห็นว่า เณรอยากเรียนมหาวิทยาลัยไม่ใช่หรือ"

Edited by DavidHouston

Since it may be of interest to our fellow learners, here's a quick translation:

"บ่ายของวันงานเฉลิมฉลองคืนสุดท้ายหลวงพ่อเรียกเณรรูปนั้นเข้าพบ เมื่อมาถึงกุฏิหลวงพ่อ เณรเคาะประตูสองถึงสามครั้งได้ยินเสียง "เชิญ" เลื่อนประตูออกเห็นหลวงพ่อกำลังนั่งจิบชาอ่านหนังสือพิมพ์

"เปล่าหรอก เดี๋ยวรอเสี่ยเพ้งมาก่อน หลวงพ่อจะพูดกับเขาให้เรื่องการเรียนของเณร ก็เห็นว่า เณรอยากเรียนมหาวิทยาลัยไม่ใช่หรือ"

The afternoon of the final day of the celebrations, the senior monk called for the novice to see him. When he arrived at the monk's hut, the novice knocked three times, and upon hearing the words "Come in" he slid open the door and saw the monk sipping tea and reading the newspaper.

"Is there something I can do for you, Father?"

"No, no--but wait for Mr. Peng. I want to talk to him about your education. I understand that you'd like to go to university, isn't that right?"

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. Here is an excerpt from the original short story from the latest Matichon Weekly:

Thanks David that puts it into context. The relationship fits perfectly well in this context. I had lunch with a Native speaker today and this came up; the cultural difference between Thai and English is great. I was told that รับใช้ in this way is not unusual but only junior to senior. The senior could ใช้เขาไปตลาด but the other direction it would be ขอรบกวนน่อย .

แม่ใช้ลูก ลูกรับใช้แม่ Seems to say it. It does not appear in the 2525 edition of RID but does in the 2542 when it can be read as one word or two it seems to me. The definition in this context is to คอยปรมนิบัติพ่อแม่ครูอาจารย์เป็นต้นด้วยความเต็มใจ which is to wait with a full heart to do the bidding of the one who you want to please.