Another Dentist Question

actiondell4

I know the dentist topic comes up a lot on this forum,and just like me you probaly skip over it.

But Im now back in Australia and lo and behold on my first day back I was flossing my bottom teeth when half a tooth broke off as I was flossing it,leaving a big hole in the tooth and half a tooth.

Its one of those flat teeth so not a pointy tooth,its on the middle botton and at the moment only half of it is there.

The problem is i went to see a dentist here in Australia yesterday who looked at it for about 5 minutes and said it is infected and he then x rayed it,total cost for the less than 10 minutes was $137.,including the antibiotics.

He told me to come back next week ,doesnt have time ,so come back next week he says,to either have it taken out ,cost will be from $430 to $530 depending if its easy,or a root canal and crown $2230.00 approx plus medication costs.

Of course its additional fees for having to come back for the check up afterwards he says,which i need to because he needs to check for infection and of course charge me another fee.

Ironically i had just seen the dentist in pattaya before i left,cost for cleaning was 300 baht and a check up revealed nothing wrong.

The dentist in Australia told me he would never trust a dentist over there in Thailand.

I said to him,didnt some of them come here to Australia to do their dentistry degree?

He laughed,yes your right he said.

Now it works out to be roughly in thai baht 15,000 baht to have the tooth take out or if i want to save it,which i dont think i will,it would be around 70,000 baht for the root canal.

My question is ,does anyone know the above prices in Pattaya at the moment,honestly im thinking about flying back for a few weeks and having it done over there in Pattaya.

Edited by actiondell4

Yes thanks,how about the tooth removal?

I will probaly use the dentist in the day night area.

I think i will just have the bloody thing pulled out.

Do they give you antibiotics ?

The dentist here,aussietralia wants $500 for tooth removal.

Edited by actiondell4

i am sorry i don't know about removal

she has a policy that, if she can save it or any part of it, she will

Removal should be about 500B

Pyathai Hospital Dental Department can do anything except let you feel pain. I did the root canal + all the rest bit, was relatively cheap compared to UK. Only thing is it takes a lot of visits, so if you are on holiday, reckon you are going to face the time problem.

What I do remember is that when I was given my choce of treatments, an extraction (Upper left about 4 teeth in) was going to be 450 baht.

Root canal and filling 8000 baht in CM Grace Clinic, took two procedures and two visits. I thought it a bit high until my daughter in Australia during the same week paid 1400 AUD for the same procedure but she does go to one of the best in Sydney, so she expects to pay a little more.

Aussie doctors routinely put down Thai medical practitioners or the labs in an attempt to justify their fees when they could just as easily explain that their fees are competitive for Australia and the cost of living in Australia is responsible for the high fees.

Grace Clinic in Chiang Mai is like many top notch dental clinics in Thailand were world class medical or dental treatment is available to medical tourists who may may a little more than your local Thai clinic but after all they have to pay for their state of the art equipment and foreign travel to seminars to stay up on world class medicine and dentistry.

Had a bridge done in England cost 640 pound's it came off over in Thailand. Local Thai dentist said over here they only use that set up as temp: one, as they only last 6 month's at best. Put all to right's for 7,000 bt still good 4 year's later. Tip have a holiday and save money. Had it done in Pattaya.

,and they use to call Australia the lucky country ?

Yeah, but then people abused the welfare system. Back in those "lucky" days people would get the dole under a few different names AND work for money under the table too.

I'd trust a good Thai dentist over an Australia ripoff merchant any day.

I used to date a dental student who was doing the practical part of her training which required her to work in a dental surgery. The dentist used to suggest drilling deeper to necessitate root canal when in fact it wasn't necessary. This was in Sydney.

Pyathai Hospital Dental Department can do anything except let you feel pain. I did the root canal + all the rest bit, was relatively cheap compared to UK. Only thing is it takes a lot of visits, so if you are on holiday, reckon you are going to face the time problem.

What I do remember is that when I was given my choce of treatments, an extraction (Upper left about 4 teeth in) was going to be 450 baht.

Can recommend them highly. Especially their head dentist.

15000B for an extraction in Aus seems very expensive. I had one taken out by a good dentist in Europe and it cost 1000B. That one was quite loose though so maybe that makes a difference. She did it as part of a regular clean and descale (45 minutes with several injections) which normally cost me about 4000B, so 5000B for the lot.

I know that implants here are under half the price they are in Europe for the same job. I shall be having one before long, to replace the missing tooth I mentioned. Not sure where to do it though: the Pyathai place seems to be in Bangkok and I dont really want to go that far.

My dentist in the USA said the same thing, that he would never trust them here. He said he had several patients go to Thailand for cheap dental care and come back with a mess that he has had to fix. *shrugs* I've yet to have a bad experience with a Thai dentist.

<br />My dentist in the USA said the same thing, that he would never trust them here. He said he had several patients go to Thailand for cheap dental care and come back with a mess that he has had to fix. *shrugs*  I've yet to have a bad experience with a Thai dentist.<br />
<br /><br /><br /> on the other hand, my UK private dentist said that my teeth were in the best condition he had seen for years, when i had occasion to visit Uk and called into see him socially after a five year absence.......

Don't wait for antibiotics if it's infected, besides the slim possibility of going septic there is much more real possibility you could get a fatal heart disease known as Pericarditis and by the time you knew about it is often too late to treat, if you survived at minimum you may serious damage to your heart muscle..

But if you want additional antibiotics for follow up here they can be had at any pharmacy for a minimal amount if the dentist doesn't prescribe them, though they probably will if asked..

Edited by WarpSpeed

15000B for an extraction in Aus seems very expensive. I had one taken out by a good dentist in Europe and it cost 1000B. That one was quite loose though so maybe that makes a difference. She did it as part of a regular clean and descale (45 minutes with several injections) which normally cost me about 4000B, so 5000B for the lot.

I know that implants here are under half the price they are in Europe for the same job. I shall be having one before long, to replace the missing tooth I mentioned. Not sure where to do it though: the Pyathai place seems to be in Bangkok and I dont really want to go that far.

That seems expensive for everywhere, even back in the States the last tooth I had extracted which was a molar was only $150.00 and the Aussie dollar last time I checked had actually surpassed the USD in value..

How long a 'holiday' would be needed to cover initial consultation, then technician work and fitting for 2 or 3 implants (teeth that is!). I have a friend from Oz who is also contemplating returning to have dental work done but doesn't have any idea how long he would need to be here in Pattaya?? :D

Edited by Dave the Dude

Sat in dentists chair this morning in Pattaya,best clean ever ,plus one large cavity filling ,just under one hour in chair 800 Baht,brilliant

I'm curious. Did you have injections for that? When my dentist in Europe does what I call a "proper" clean and de-scale (which also lasts just under an hour) there is no way I could stand it without several injections that leave my entire mouth totally numb for hours. I've always assumed that most people are the same but have never actually asked anyone.

How long a 'holiday' would be needed to cover initial consultation, then technician work and fitting for 2 or 3 implants (teeth that is!). I have a friend from Oz who is also contemplating returning to have dental work done but doesn't have any idea how long he would need to be here in Pattaya?? :D

Be careful. I'm told there are implants and implants.

My dentist in Europe said that proper implant procedure (which would cost maybe 40-50,000 per tooth here, or maybe 2 or 3 times that per tooth in expensive European countries) takes maybe 6 months and requires several visits. First they need to check (xrays) that your bones can stand it and that you have a reasonable chance of success (my dentist says smokers can forget it). Then they screw the titanium implant into the bone (yes, it just screws in) and put a temporary cap on it. Then you wait whilst the bone grows into the honeycomb structure of the titanium implant (months), being careful not to dislodge it. Then they check the implant is solid (xrays) and remove the cap and put a proper false tooth onto the implant. Then you have it looked at again a while afterwards, though I suppose any dentist could check it.

But watch out for the "fast" implants that some dentists will do in one visit. My dentist said she would never have anything to do with them as they fail too often but she also said that she saw no reason not to use a good, qualified Thai dentist for a proper implant, which was very fair of her considering the price difference. "Fast" implants are cheaper, she said, but you get what you pay for. My dentist said that her success rate with proper implants is over 99% for non-smokers.

Sat in dentists chair this morning in Pattaya,best clean ever ,plus one large cavity filling ,just under one hour in chair 800 Baht,brilliant

I'm curious. Did you have injections for that? When my dentist in Europe does what I call a "proper" clean and de-scale (which also lasts just under an hour) there is no way I could stand it without several injections that leave my entire mouth totally numb for hours. I've always assumed that most people are the same but have never actually asked anyone.

No,but she did tap each tooth to gauge my pain threshhold.Was always told if the Gestapo ever got hold of me that a secret was always safe (whatever that means)