Generic Air Card Best?

djeetyet

I've read the past threads about air cards - but still have a question. I would like to use an air card with my laptop, and not sure what air card to purchase. I live in Chanthaburi Province, but about 40k outside of the city, and some 75K from Rayong. One thread stated that "Most of the other USB sticks have the software already flashed to the respective company's hardware. it kind of locks you into that company". So it's better NOT to buy a proprietary aircard, such as from AIS? Just buy a generic air card and then buy an internet sim from whatever service provider I desire? I will be using the 'Net for email and general surfing, not intensive downloading.

Thanks for the help.

By far the most important criteria is that the stick work with the desired network)s). Given that you'll be using GSM 2G data (GPRS/EDGE) this is less of a concern as just about any stick will support the required frequencies (GSM 900, GSM1800) for Thai providers.

The D-Link DWM-156 is widely available here, ~ 2,000 THB, and is a robust offering. It is un-locked and would take SIMs from AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy, Truemove, TOT 3G (and their re-sellers). FWIW, it also supports 3G 850 (True) and 2100 (TOT/MVNOs: i-Kool, iMobile, et. al.). In some cases it comes pre-packaged with an i-Kool 3G SIM.

Lastly, many mobile phones has 2G capability built in, so you may be able to use your moble phone as a modem, and get a data plan from your current voice service provider. Again, many, many options here, but the final choice is dependent on individual requirements.

By far the most important criteria is that the stick work with the desired network)s). Given that you'll be using GSM 2G data (GPRS/EDGE) this is less of a concern as just about any stick will support the required frequencies (GSM 900, GSM1800) for Thai providers.

Thanks for the advice. I believe I'll get a generic GPRS/EDGE enabled air card that works with AIS, as that's what's available in my area. If others have different opinions please post 'em!