Car Is Not In My Name

Semper

In a word NO. As the first thing the insurance co: will ask for is driving licence of owner. No licence no pay out. And please Buddha it's not bad as you will have to pay for all cost's +++++++ as your a very RICH Farang.

Are you sure? The owner must have a DL :unsure:

In a word NO. As the first thing the insurance co: will ask for is driving licence of owner. No licence no pay out. And please Buddha it's not bad as you will have to pay for all cost's +++++++ as your a very RICH Farang.

Add on, I told a Farang friend about this a year or so ago and he went to the local insurance agent and they assured him no problem. Three month's ago a M/C went into him. No problem's only cost him 50,000 bt and 10,000 for the cop. + the cost for his Fortuner, new wing. Who need's insurance. Had a small prang last week, I have M/C & Car Thai licence, car in my name they took photo copy of both for the insurance Co: You will have a big prob if you dont have Thai one.

Add on, I told a Farang friend about this a year or so ago and he went to the local insurance agent and they assured him no problem. Three month's ago a M/C went into him. No problem's only cost him 50,000 bt and 10,000 for the cop. + the cost for his Fortuner, new wing. Who need's insurance. Had a small prang last week, I have M/C & Car Thai licence, car in my name they took photo copy of both for the insurance Co: You will have a big prob if you dont have Thai one.

Think about it big prang they have a get out, do you think they will pay, if you do plod on. Get the wife to take test easy over here. Or put car in your name.

When you take out insurance for a car the fist thing they In: Co: ask is a copy of licence of OWNER, that's what I had to do so why should it be any different for a Thai.

Think about it big prang they have a get out, do you think they will pay, if you do plod on. Get the wife to take test easy over here. Or put car in your name.

When you take out insurance for a car the fist thing they In: Co: ask is a copy of licence of OWNER, that's what I had to do so why should it be any different for a Thai.

It's not the license of the OWNER they want, it's the license of the persons that will be driving. They just assume that the owner will be a driver.

When I take out insurance for my m/c

They take my green registration book and the money.

As far as I am aware insurance in Thailand is for the vehicle.

Whoever is driving it at an accident, has to show their driving license in order to make a claim.

If they are in Thailand on anything other than a tourist visa, or visa on entry, it needs to be a THAI driving license.

I can't see car insurance having a different set of rules.

Whoever is driving it at an accident, has to show their driving license in order to make a claim.

If they are in Thailand on anything other than a tourist visa, or visa on entry, it needs to be a THAI driving license.

Yes agree but this insurance thing "no pay" happened to a friend of mine some year's ago. Advised other mate about it and low and behold they didn't pay out then either. Hence the 80,000bt+ he had to pay. Up to insurance co: I suppose. Better to get thing's in writing from In/Co: not agent just in case. Untill then who know's.

What me was told: It's no problem if someone else drives the car (read vehicle), other then the person registered in the green book, paying the tax and has its name on the insurance policy.

Problem starts when the insuree isn't around in case of claims or counter-claims.

That means, that if you have a vehicle in your name (incl. tax & insurance) and you are going abroad for a few months leaving your vehicles in the hands of a care taker.

Take care that at least the insurance is tranferred (renewed) onto the care takers' name.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Idd like to ask a question why, why, do many Farang's persist in putting the car in Thai Wife's/GF name. As it's so easy to put it in your own. All problem's solved. Just seem's to me another load of cash they have got rid of. OR LOST.

Can you tell me where I said my wife is Thai :rolleyes:

Surely if the ride is insured '' any driver '' then, any driver, regardless of nationality as long as they have a Thai licence can drive. Wouldn't have thought it mattered about the owner not having a license as long as they don't drive it.

Go get the owners name changed to you, easy. ( But she might not like that ) :D

For insurance purposes it does not matter who the vehicle is registered to. As long as the vehicle has insurance then yes you are covered (legally) to drive. However do check the level of coverage - if in doubt email a copy to us and we can translate if ion Thai.

1st class Insurance can be limited to 1 or 2 drivers ID/passportnumber) only, approx 20% discount.

If 1st class Insurance covers any driver, driver must have valid drivers license for Insurance to accept any claim. For a foreigner, Thai drivers license is required after 90 days here. Within 90 days your home countrys license is accepted if its in English language and has your picture

Idd like to ask a question why, why, do many Farang's persist in putting the car in Thai Wife's/GF name. As it's so easy to put it in your own. All problem's solved. Just seem's to me another load of cash they have got rid of. OR LOST.

Didn't say your wife was Thai or not as the case maybe. Just a general question. Another thing I would ask is if any peep's were in England/USA where ever, would they put all in G/F name. Different if wife as have some sort of come back. Over here nothing. I know I wouldn't.

Surely if the ride is insured '' any driver '' then, any driver, regardless of nationality as long as they have a Thai licence can drive. Wouldn't have thought it mattered about the owner not having a license as long as they don't drive it.

Well it's not that easy. I have to go to my embassy to make the papers thats required and they are not free. I have 2 bikes in my name but when chanching ownership on a car, they are more picky about the papers.

Don't worry about the wife :D

Well it's not that easy. I have to go to my embassy to make the papers thats required and they are not free. I have 2 bikes in my name but when chanching ownership on a car, they are more picky about the papers.

Don't worry about the wife :D

All I had to do was show Passport, Licence, Visa at the time 2 month tourist one. It was the coup time. Bingo sorted but they do like an O visa. I got it in the place where I live, out of province need paper's for house ect. Still easy. Oh and money they like that bit. Changing name's just as easy as long as you do it where the car/bike was last registered.

Didn't say your wife was Thai or not as the case maybe. Just a general question. Another thing I would ask is if any peep's were in England/USA where ever, would they put all in G/F name. Different if wife as have some sort of come back. Over here nothing. I know I wouldn't.

Well, if you are married, everything will be split 50/50 in a divorce. B)

Well, if you are married, everything will be split 50/50 in a divorce. B)

TIT are you sure. Got more chance of winning the lotto......... but was refering to peep's that put everything in Thai lady's name and then pay for it.

For insurance purposes it does not matter who the vehicle is registered to. As long as the vehicle has insurance then yes you are covered (legally) to drive. However do check the level of coverage - if in doubt email a copy to us and we can translate if ion Thai.

Thanks,that's what I thought. I was a little confused about some of the replies here.

Are you sure? The owner must have a DL :unsure:

No the owner does not need a DL. We are on our fourth car here and non owned by me, my wife has owned them all as she holds the work permit and I'm a kept man :whistling::( and her full time mechanic and chauffeur :D but I'm the only licensed driver in the house and it's always been done that way and no problem with the insurance company..

Thanks,that's what I thought. I was a little confused about some of the replies here.

You should get a letter of authorization to drive the car from your wife though and keep it in the glove box in case you're pulled over or have an accident without her as it could save you a lot of tea money and frustration to get out of a potentially dodgy situation..

Are you posting to yourself??? :huh::blink::unsure:

It's not the license of the OWNER they want, it's the license of the persons that will be driving. They just assume that the owner will be a driver.

Yes must inform otherwise, like so many assumptions made here..

Are you posting to yourself??? :huh::blink::unsure:

:lol:

I suppose. Better to get thing's in writing from In/Co: not agent just in case.

Yeah it's called a policy and it's also a good idea to read it too.... It sounds to me like both your mates were scammed and allowed the insurance companies to get one over on them by not being well informed in advance and got out of paying..

Yes the insurance sticker is on the windshield (or windscreen for you lot across the pond) not tatoo'd on the drivers forehead :blink: ...

Yes the insurance sticker is on the windshield (or windscreen for you lot across the pond) not tatoo'd on the drivers forehead :blink: ...

I paid extra for the tattoo. :unsure:

I paid extra for the tattoo. :unsure:

Oh! So all this time you're really Mike Tyson :o , that explains a lot :lol::D ...