Electronic Cigerettes

OxfordWill

These are now "legal" in the US, due to FDA losing two cases to prove they should be classified as a drug.

Actually they have never been illegal in the US. In fact they have been available for purchase online since 2006. A quick google and I came across 8 US based companies with websites that sell mail order and 3 retail stores.

Anybody have any clue why Thailand outlawed them?

E-cigarettes banned

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Ministry of Public Health bans the import and sale of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) in Thailand. It warns the cigarettes contained more nicotine than normal ones.

According to Deputy Public Health Minister Phansiri Kullanartsiri, smoking one e-cigarette is be equivalent to smoking 15 normal cigarettes.

The 1992 Tobacco Products Control Act, 1967 Drug Act and 1926 Customs Act will be used to control e-cigarettes in the Kingdom. Violators will be subject to both fine and imprisonment.

The deputy minister regarded e-cigarettes as a new threat to health although they imitated scents such as chocolate and fruits. She warned that smoking them without the supervision of doctors could harm the heart and blood vessel.

News Clipping

Interesting ... it doesn't really get into the reason why except to say that one e-cigarette is worth 15 regular cigarettes. Doesn't seem to be a valid comparison since 1 e-cigarette last a long time. It has a cartridge that I imagine most smokers replace daily. So, they would actually be smoking less than a pack a day if this was the case.

The other reason mentioned is that they say their is no proof it helps smokers quit (despite numerous things I have read that it does). BUTthere is no proof that smoking real cigarettes help people to stop smoking either but smoking the e-version would remove any concerns of second hand smoke.

Really don't know much about these e-cigarettes except that so many people swear by them while the Tobacco industry despises them.

Edited by Nisa

Just ran across this on the net ...

The biggest unfounded health scares of 2010 according to American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)

#2). E-cigarettes (electronic cigarettes), which are an odorless and flameless clean nicotine delivery system, stand accused of containing "carcinogens" and of being as dangerous as real cigarettes.

But e-cigarettes pose little or no harm compared to real cigarettes. What is harmful about traditional cigarette smoking is the products of combustion that are created when the smoker lights up. Nicotine, in itself, although highly addictive, isn't particularly harmful — its "toxicity" is about the same as caffeine. E-cigarettes give smokers the nicotine "fix" they want — without the frightening chemical mix produced by the combustion in traditional cigarettes.

So-called public health and anti-smoking groups who condemn the e-cigarettes as health hazards similar to traditional smoking are doing a great disservice to the tens of millions of addicted cigarette smokers in America.

Edited by Nisa

These are now "legal" in the US, due to FDA losing two cases to prove they should be classified as a drug.

Actually they have never been illegal in the US. In fact they have been available for purchase online since 2006. A quick google and I came across 8 US based companies with websites that sell mail order and 3 retail stores.

I'm not sure where you'd find e-cigarettes in Thailand. As for the US, while many states may allow the sale, Oregon is one that has prohibited the sale of them within the state. That includes prohibiting any mail order purchases as well. Even if they're legal in the US, the states can have their own regulations about whether they can be sold or not.

They have them at Pantip plaza- that being said you would be disappointed. There is huge variation in e-cig quality and usability. The cheap sorts one is likely to find in stores are more a novelty than a functional item. To get something usable, even in the States you have to do your homework and order online.

There are still a lot of competing standards, atomizers versus cartomizers, 3v versus 5v and 7v... but rather than go into all that, the short version is that you probably want the new Joye eGo Tank System" and 50ml worth of your favorite e-liquid. That will set you up for about a year of heavy smoking.

Interesting perhaps was a state thing then. They're for sale everywhere in Las Vegas right now, of course in the smoke shops, but also in the malls, convenience stores etc. The FDC tried to ban them and then everything went internet. After they lost the first case that's when they popped up everywhere. I'm from Vegas and go back to visit a couple times per year, the latest time (just before Christmas) I must have seen them for sale in 10 shops during my short stay, including one gas station convenience store.

Interesting perhaps was a state thing then

Right. It's a state thing as previously mentioned. Oregon is one that prohibits the sale, although I understand they can sometimes be found at some of the truck stops along I-5. Probably have to ask for them though. Not sure about quality. Some e-cigarettes are poorly made and liquid can leak into the mouthpiece if you don't keep them in an upright position, making for a very unexpected and unwanted taste.

No idea about the quality of e-cigs in Thailand, but I suppose some are probably not so great because of leakage problems, hard to draw, etc.

It is extremely unlikely that they will stay legal for long. Governments earn huge revenues from cigarette taxes, and politicians get huge donations from pharmaceutical industry lobbyists- which have a vested interested selling in massively overpriced smoking cessation (nicotine) products.

Nicotine in e-cig form costs an infinitesimal fraction of the above, many years supply can be stored in a small bottle. In the US alone their sale directly jeopardizes billions of dollars worth of state and federal tax revenue. No one is going to allow a product like that to stay legal.

It is extremely unlikely that they will stay legal for long. Governments earn huge revenues from cigarette taxes, and politicians get huge donations from pharmaceutical industry lobbyists- which have a vested interested selling in massively overpriced smoking cessation (nicotine) products.

Nicotine in e-cig form costs an infinitesimal fraction of the above, many years supply can be stored in a small bottle. In the US alone their sale directly jeopardizes billions of dollars worth of state and federal tax revenue. No one is going to allow a product like that to stay legal.

I don't know the details of all the happenings with e-cigs but sounds like you may be spot on and is also probably why they US FDA is trying so hard to get these under their jurisdiction.

e-cigarettes available in MBK, BKK third floor (several shops) and some shops Tukcom, Pattaya. "smoke" tastes like shit. bought recently from India, "smoke" tastes like slightly lesser shit. but perhaps it's all a matter of personal taste.

:bah:

e-cigarettes available in MBK, BKK third floor (several shops) and some shops Tukcom, Pattaya. "smoke" tastes like shit. bought recently from India, "smoke" tastes like slightly lesser shit. but perhaps it's all a matter of personal taste.

If I am going to smoke shat then I at least want it coming in a counterfeit Marlboro box.

If I am going to smoke shat then I at least want it coming in a counterfeit Marlboro box.

You mean something like this? :lol:

post-8262-0-37052200-1298242418_thumb.jp

They have them at Pantip plaza- that being said you would be disappointed. There is huge variation in e-cig quality and usability. The cheap sorts one is likely to find in stores are more a novelty than a functional item. To get something usable, even in the States you have to do your homework and order online.

There are still a lot of competing standards, atomizers versus cartomizers, 3v versus 5v and 7v... but rather than go into all that, the short version is that you probably want the new Joye eGo Tank System" and 50ml worth of your favorite e-liquid. That will set you up for about a year of heavy smoking.

I have seen them for sale here but (and we all know that the knowledge of salespeople here is questionable) was told adamately by the staff that they contain absolutely no nicotene. I was under the impression that the point of such device was to provide nicotene w/out the actual (smoke), what is the point if they don't deliver nicotene. I therefore declined the purchase.

By chance the owner of soi 8 was smoking one last night so I asked him about it and apparantly on the corner of soi 11 there are some. He had what looked like a joy 510 but apparantly was not. He said he hasnt had a real cig in several months.

re the nicotine comment its up to you what you use them to smoke, various options available both with and without nicotine.

Edited by OxfordWill