Day Rides, Chiang Rai Bikers

kandahar

For those who’s mental acuity does not preclude multitasking, turning Biff’s wedding into a motorcycle outing would kill the proverbial two birds with the one stone.

There are some nice back roads one can take to get to Chiang Saen that avoid the main road construction. The only problem would be if you indulged in too much free alcohol and bad karaoke. But then you could perhaps sleep it off under a tree somewhere.

You just stuffed it for more than 99% of Thai Visa. Not including our erstwhile riding colleagues of course.

Sounds like a possible plan. To positively identify a laziness gene - when (date) was the wedding again?

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who’s mental acuity does not preclude multitasking, turning Biff’s wedding into a motorcycle outing would kill the proverbial two birds with the one stone.

There are some nice back roads one can take to get to Chiang Saen that avoid the main road construction. The only problem would be if you indulged in too much free alcohol and bad karaoke. But then you could perhaps sleep it off under a tree somewhere.

You just stuffed it for more than 99% of Thai Visa. Not including our erstwhile riding colleagues of course.

Sounds like a possible plan. To positively identify a laziness gene - when (date) was the wedding again?

Or go by bike

and have another ride another day and get two bites of the cherry

For those who's mental acuity does not preclude multitasking, turning Biff's wedding into a motorcycle outing would kill the proverbial two birds with the one stone.

Now that's a plan! :)

It's on Sunday the 8th May, we've got trees you can sleep under, an old boat we can turn over, we could throw a blanket over you wherever you end up, or, you could stay in the hotel? 10 minute walk, 30 minute stagger/crawl. There's a fancy new one a bit further away (5 mins on a Fino) as well, Siam Triangle I think it's called?

The one in Sob Kham itself doesn't seem to have an 'internet presence' but rooms can be booked in person. Just let me know, or I'm sure there'll be emergency accommodation for the over-enthusiastic lao khao/karaoke CR bikers readily available.

As always, 'up to you' (all) but seeing as it's a 'village affair' there's no formal invites. I'm sure there'll be lots of people turning up just for the food/drink/hell of it, so if you're inclined to merge a bike ride with it all, I'm sure it will add to, rather than detract from, the proceedings! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I will be returning to Chiang Rai on May 16 for 10 days, then back to Canada (May 27) for our summer here. I know Manny mentioned he would like some type of bandana for his face (no he isn't starting a new career) for riding. I am still unsure what this item is, so hope he reads this and can send a good discription? Are there any other riding items that I can return with for people (that will fit in a bag, no HD's please). The Canadian dollar is doing well so I hope can get best price for those interested. Kandahar, anything for the store?

Be safe all

Bob

I will be returning to Chiang Rai on May 16 for 10 days, then back to Canada (May 27) for our summer here. I know Manny mentioned he would like some type of bandana for his face (no he isn't starting a new career) for riding. I am still unsure what this item is, so hope he reads this and can send a good discription? Are there any other riding items that I can return with for people (that will fit in a bag, no HD's please). The Canadian dollar is doing well so I hope can get best price for those interested. Kandahar, anything for the store?

Be safe all

Bob

We'll have to see if the weather will cooperate for a ride while you're here.

Wife says she doesn't need anything here, thanks.

Stop in when you get back.

Be safe all

Bob

Thanks Bob but but i'm ok for everything, my phantom will be up for sale soon and my riding gear (whatch this space), hope you have a good/safe trip on your return.

All the best.

Be safe all

Bob

Thanks Bob but but i'm ok for everything, my phantom will be up for sale soon and my riding gear (whatch this space), hope you have a good/safe trip on your return.

All the best.

That is sad news if you are not riding anymore? Note the question mark!

Be safe all

Bob

All the best.

Yeah a Mans gotta do what a Mans gotta do, and i gotta do.

Be safe all

Bob

All the best.

Yeah a Mans gotta do what a Mans gotta do, and i gotta do.

SOrry to hear. Good luck and hope to see you soon.

If anyone out there is thinking maybe they don't have the right motorcycle to take on a day ride with us, check out the first post of this thread. You've probably got the right motorcycle.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/459884-mae-hong-son-loop/

I'm looking for a few consecutive sunny days forecast so I can plan a day ride a few days ahead. I reckon a forecast with a chance of a shower wouldn't hurt.

I thought of something lately that may help us all on CR~TV whether for bike rides, picnics or just popping into town from your house.

I myself wouldnt be 100% tech savvy enough to get this idea set up but Im sure some members have the net skills to do it and talk the rest of us through using the idea.

Anyway,here's what I was thinking.

Could a google map be set up in the way the CR map has been constructed that we can all pin a daily update on the state of the weather that is lurking above your head. You can update your pin as the weather changes helping people to avoid wet spots and plan a different route.

I know a few occasions when Ive called it quits on basic trips because "it looks like rain over there"

Just an idea anyway.

Even if you had every member posting constant updates throughout the day, between the time you check the weather, get on your bike and head down the road, the rain showers would have moved on to someplace else. Of course on a morning like today there is no guesswork involved. You are going to get wet.

Often before heading to town I would call a friend to see if it was raining there. After an all clear I would end up passing through two or three downpours before reaching my destination.

You’re aiming at a moving target so the best you can do is eyeball it as you are heading down the road.

I thought of something lately that may help us all on CR~TV whether for bike rides, picnics or just popping into town from your house.

I myself wouldnt be 100% tech savvy enough to get this idea set up but Im sure some members have the net skills to do it and talk the rest of us through using the idea.

Could a google map be set up in the way the CR map has been constructed that we can all pin a daily update on the state of the weather that is lurking above your head. You can update your pin as the weather changes helping people to avoid wet spots and plan a different route.

I know a few occasions when Ive called it quits on basic trips because "it looks like rain over there"

Just an idea anyway.

On the last ride I pulled out because of rain and a home concern. It was posted on this forum that the weather was clear and no rain in CR.

My sister in law lives in CR centre and she said it rained when a few posted that it did not.

Like where I live, we watch it rain up the road from our upstairs balcony but not here. The village 10km up the road gets fantastic rain fall. We dont.

So I am sorry to agree with VF on that. Mayhaps you can suggest something else so we can disagree with him?

Edited by raylo

I myself wouldn't be 100% tech savvy enough to get this idea set up but Im sure some members have the net skills to do it and talk the rest of us through using the idea.

I know a few occasions when I've called it quits on basic trips because "it looks like rain over there"

Just an idea anyway.

On the last ride I pulled out because of rain and a home concern. It was posted on this forum that the weather was clear and no rain in CR.

My sister in law lives in CR centre and she said it rained when a few posted that it did not.

Like where I live, we watch it rain up the road from our upstairs balcony but not here. The village 10km up the road gets fantastic rain fall. We dont.

So I am sorry to agree with VF on that. Mayhaps you can suggest something else so we can disagree with him?

Somebody please help out Raylo. This is twice in as many days that he has been dragged reluctantly into agreement with me. I am afraid there might be permanent psychological damage if this situation is not rectified soon.

How about starting a tontine (savings club) ready for next wet season. Pool all the money together and rent a minivan once a week and instead of getting soaked on the bikes we can suggest van ride day outs and on the way home stop for a weekly shop somewhere and then sit down with a coffee to discuss what is or isnt getting re-stocked, whats over/under priced, and dare I say it, whats on at the cinema and how much the tickets are.

Although then we wouldnt be posting so much on here.

:-)

How about starting a tontine (savings club) ready for next wet season. Pool all the money together and rent a minivan once a week and instead of getting soaked on the bikes we can suggest van ride day outs and on the way home stop for a weekly shop somewhere and then sit down with a coffee to discuss what is or isnt getting re-stocked, whats over/under priced, and dare I say it, whats on at the cinema and how much the tickets are.

Although then we wouldnt be posting so much on here.

:-)

Sounds like aplan. Can we shower together too so it would be the same feeling as riding the bikes but we would not have to clean them! What a time and work saving idea.

So, maybe it is time to lay on another ride. Say, next week, Wed. or Thurs. Can check the weather early on and see if the ride needs bumped up or back. Who can go, who has a route? And as we learned last time, car and truck drivers are welcome and have some really good routes for the rest of us to get familiar with.

• 5 months later...

I have to assume that this topic being way back at page 14 is because of weather, not lack of interest. So as Kandy put it, when do we set up another trip? I'll be back for another 6 months on the 25th. Thinking to break in my butt, a run up around Doi Wawii (VaaVii?), to the Chinese Memorial SantaKili (sp) over to Doi Chan then down to Mae Sai and back to CR. There are lots of jump offs to shorten the ride if Doi Chan (Queen Mother's house/gardens) is too far. Great food and coffee along the way with great mountain sites over to Burma. Road is fun and a challange, did it last year both bike and car.

What do ya say????

I have to assume that this topic being way back at page 14 is because of weather, not lack of interest. So as Kandy put it, when do we set up another trip? I'll be back for another 6 months on the 25th. Thinking to break in my butt, a run up around Doi Wawii (VaaVii?), to the Chinese Memorial SantaKili (sp) over to Doi Chan then down to Mae Sai and back to CR. There are lots of jump offs to shorten the ride if Doi Chan (Queen Mother's house/gardens) is too far. Great food and coffee along the way with great mountain sites over to Burma. Road is fun and a challange, did it last year both bike and car.

What do ya say????

What type of roads? Asphalt, good dirtroads, bad dirtroads?

I might be in with my old Yama 650 !

:DB):D

Unless something unusual happens, I am in.

Unless something unusual happens, I am out.

Greetings and I wish you a great ride.

Limbo :yohan:

This picture was taken the same week my daughther was born.

She is 39 now ...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-0-85943600-1318668522_thumb.jp

The roads are all hard surface, serious hair pins, usual watch out for holes in some areas. This is based on last years ride in Oct/2010. Now I did the ride very slowly as I am all about look see. The short side, just Wawi/Santikili stretch is better part of the morning if you leave from Hwy 1/Chiang Mai Hwy, west down to Mae Suai (easy 20 minutes) then turn off to the north and go around in a circle back to Hwy 1 just south of Mae Sai (Mae Sai to CR 1 hour at speed). I wish I could give better times, but when I did the trip I really took my time looking, eating and coffee/smoke breaks. The Chinese memorial is really worth seeing and was 20 bht last year, the gardens and shops are great.

When I fly in Oct 25 I'll get on running up the bike and should look at a ride beginning Nov???? I do have a GPS (did have when I left) mounted on the bike (mount by CR Saddle Bags) so no worry about time as it gives "time to" so we can always change the plan as we go.

So "up to you" HaHaHa (wife hates that saying). :D

So What happened Limbo !? .....

And what are you riding now ? :)

It's horrible to admit Jubby but I simply don't dare anymore ...

There is a Yamaha Fresh standing here and with that I sometimes 'ride' to

the little shop at the pak soi to buy a bottle of milk :ermm: , a distance

of nevertheless eight hundred meters (one way though).

The last thirteen years I transported myself in a car, like a bag of potatoes

for that matter.

My last 'real' trip was with Rudi's Chiangrai Rangers MC on a borrowed Phantom...

Can't even remember anymore how long time ago that was. I think it was the first

'farang' motorcycle club here in town.

Nice to read that people start to enjoy riding together again, though some

foreigners were already member of the Black Rabbits.

But I still regret that I didn't buy the old Virago 400 that was offered

me six years ago. It was a bargain for 45.000 Baht (including book and plates).

It would have been nice to make something beautiful of it and have a ride

on a Sunday morning once in a while.

Take care!

The roads are all hard surface, serious hair pins, usual watch out for holes in some areas. This is based on last years ride in Oct/2010. Now I did the ride very slowly as I am all about look see. The short side, just Wawi/Santikili stretch is better part of the morning if you leave from Hwy 1/Chiang Mai Hwy, west down to Mae Suai (easy 20 minutes) then turn off to the north and go around in a circle back to Hwy 1 just south of Mae Sai (Mae Sai to CR 1 hour at speed). I wish I could give better times, but when I did the trip I really took my time looking, eating and coffee/smoke breaks. The Chinese memorial is really worth seeing and was 20 bht last year, the gardens and shops are great.

When I fly in Oct 25 I'll get on running up the bike and should look at a ride beginning Nov???? I do have a GPS (did have when I left) mounted on the bike (mount by CR Saddle Bags) so no worry about time as it gives "time to" so we can always change the plan as we go.

So "up to you" HaHaHa (wife hates that saying). :D

The routes are 1,118,109,1089? Then after 1089? I'd be interested, but probably on 4 wheels :-)

Anyone living south of the city interested in shorter motorbike rides?

My last 'real' trip was with Rudi's Chiangrai Rangers MC on a borrowed Phantom...

Can't even remember anymore how long time ago that was. I think it was the first

Even I remember that time and I were a member too. I have a t-shirt somewhere. I don't know what happened to Chiang Rai Rangers MC, just disappeared.

The only ride I remember with CRRMC were all the way to the Stadium and there we had a couple of beers and then we went back home again.

:ermm::unsure::blink::o

Even I remember that time and I were a member too. I have a t-shirt somewhere. I don't know what happened to Chiang Rai Rangers MC, just disappeared.

The only ride I remember with CRRMC were all the way to the Stadium and there we had a couple of beers and then we went back home again.

:ermm::unsure::blink::o

My trip with CRRMC was the Thoeng-Chiangkhong-Chiangsaen route. I remember long pitstops

at gasoline stations and a night in Chiangkhong. Beer Chang and a lot of beer Chang.

It didn't really help.

Riding a motorcycle together didn't seem to automatically include a go-ground for a splendid

conversation.

At the gasoline stations mostly technical, motorcycle oriented details passed in review

and once seated together at a table in Chiangkhong we collectively and desperately ran out

of any text that could fuel an exchange of mind about other subjects.

When the vroom-vroom inbetween the ears had left the silence became deafening ... :D

And the remnants of the adrenaline were drowned in Chang.

But a happening it was! More than sufficient :blink:

Edited by Limbo