Day Rides, Chiang Rai Bikers

kandahar

My last 'real' trip was with Rudi's Chiangrai Rangers MC on a borrowed Phantom...

Can't even remember anymore how long time ago that was. I think it was the first

'farang' motorcycle club here in town.

Limbo :yohan:

Even I remember that time and I were a member too. I have a t-shirt somewhere. I don't know what happened to Chiang Rai Rangers MC, just disappeared.

The only ride I remember with CRRMC were all the way to the Stadium and there we had a couple of beers and then we went back home again.

:ermm::unsure::blink::o

My trip with CRRMC was the Thoeng-Chiangkhong-Chiangsaen route. I remember long pitstops

at gasoline stations and a night in Chiangkhong. Beer Chang and a lot of beer Chang.

It didn't really help.

Riding a motorcycle together didn't seem to automatically include a go-ground for a splendid

conversation.

At the gasoline stations mostly technical, motorcycle oriented details passed in review

and once seated together at a table in Chiangkhong we collectively and desperately ran out

of any text that could fuel an exchange of mind about other subjects.

When the vroom-vroom inbetween the ears had left the silence became deafening ... :D

And the remnants of the adrenaline were drowned in Chang.

But a happening it was! More than sufficient :blink:

Nice observation :-) as a proud owner of a recently acquired Phantom (late model, low mileage, unbelievable price) I've recently progressed from "no way I'm getting on that" to "where there's a will there's a wobble". So, much as I really enjoy negotiating ownership of the road with my local chickens, buffaloes and dogs, I'm definitely not ready for a major 2 wheeled excursion. (I never even realised that "torque" wasn't a mis-spelling of "talk" until well-advanced in years - last week I think!). However if the route was right 4 wheels would work. I'm also not in favour at all of being part of a bunch of culturally illiterate farangs who get their kicks swooping through Thai villages at 100 mph as if Thailand is just a backdrop to their adolescent bonding fantasies. But having met one or two of the bikers I'm sure that's not the case.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last 'real' trip was with Rudi's Chiangrai Rangers MC on a borrowed Phantom...

Can't even remember anymore how long time ago that was. I think it was the first

'farang' motorcycle club here in town.

Even I remember that time and I were a member too. I have a t-shirt somewhere. I don't know what happened to Chiang Rai Rangers MC, just disappeared.

The only ride I remember with CRRMC were all the way to the Stadium and there we had a couple of beers and then we went back home again.

:ermm::unsure::blink::o

My trip with CRRMC was the Thoeng-Chiangkhong-Chiangsaen route. I remember long pitstops

at gasoline stations and a night in Chiangkhong. Beer Chang and a lot of beer Chang.

It didn't really help.

Riding a motorcycle together didn't seem to automatically include a go-ground for a splendid

conversation.

At the gasoline stations mostly technical, motorcycle oriented details passed in review

and once seated together at a table in Chiangkhong we collectively and desperately ran out

of any text that could fuel an exchange of mind about other subjects.

When the vroom-vroom inbetween the ears had left the silence became deafening ... :D

And the remnants of the adrenaline were drowned in Chang.

But a happening it was! More than sufficient :blink:

Nice observation :-) as a proud owner of a recently acquired Phantom (late model, low mileage, unbelievable price) I've recently progressed from "no way I'm getting on that" to "where there's a will there's a wobble". So, much as I really enjoy negotiating ownership of the road with my local chickens, buffaloes and dogs, I'm definitely not ready for a major 2 wheeled excursion. (I never even realised that "torque" wasn't a mis-spelling of "talk" until well-advanced in years - last week I think!). However if the route was right 4 wheels would work. I'm also not in favour at all of being part of a bunch of culturally illiterate farangs who get their kicks swooping through Thai villages at 100 mph as if Thailand is just a backdrop to their adolescent bonding fantasies. But having met one or two of the bikers I'm sure that's not the case.

I'm of the same mind, no speed demon here. The only part you will move at a quick pace is the trip from CR to Mae Saui along CM Hwy. After you will experience breathtaking speeds of up to 50K with a great part of the trip off bike. Then the drive back along the Mai Sai to CR Hwy, any speed you want. I fear running into kids, dogs and those large brown things that always win during an impact with a cycle. The trip is 250K around the loop with a short run into the China Memorial site and lunch. Beautiful drive, too nice to speed along, slow and smell the roses. How about Nov. 06 we go at a meet at Mae Saui (along CM Hwy. turn right, stop at coffee) around 0900?

I am up for any ride, social butterfly you know :)

I'm 30k west of CR on old CM road.

I'm ready to go, someone say where and when !

B):)B)

I am all in as well as noted above for a run around the route up to wawi and then the china memorial and back down to Hwy running CR to Mai Sai,

I had said the 6th, which is a sunday so is that date/run alright?

I am all in as well as noted above for a run around the route up to wawi and then the china memorial and back down to Hwy running CR to Mai Sai,

OK, starting 6th of Nov, where do we start and when?

I know where Wawi are, on the road between Mae Suai and Tha Ton but the only China Memorial I know of is in Mae Salong... Is that the one?

Looking forward to a good trip!

:);):lol:

OK, starting 6th of Nov, where do we start and when?

I know where Wawi are, on the road between Mae Suai and Tha Ton but the only China Memorial I know of is in Mae Salong... Is that the one?

Looking forward to a good trip!

:);):lol:

Nov. 06 we can meet at Mae Saui (along CM Hwy. turn right, stop at coffee) around 0900? The china memorial I believe is the one at Doi Mae Salong. Also a good place to stop for eats and has some nice markets. I'll let Kandy know as he said he is up for a ride as well. This is all based on a one year old memory and I believe it is approx. 250K? round trip.

Nov. 06 we can meet at Mae Saui (along CM Hwy. turn right, stop at coffee) around 0900? The china memorial I believe is the one at Doi Mae Salong. Also a good place to stop for eats and has some nice markets. I'll let Kandy know as he said he is up for a ride as well. This is all based on a one year old memory and I believe it is approx. 250K? round trip.

What about meeting at Suan Charin Resort about 5 km before Mae Suai around KM 22 ? They have very good coffee and fantastic cakes! I think Kandy likes these cakes (I do for sure!).

Sounds like 5 hours on the bike and plenty of time for eat-photo-pee and other stops.

Someone else up for the ride now when we are talking about the cakes?

;):D;)

Edited by svenivan

I am probably coming but have a couple of things to rearrange first. Who is coming double up? Doubt I can talk the better half to come but if other ladies are coming I may have a shot.

I hope to bring at least 2 more riders bot noone is with ladies. :(

Looking forward to see you there !

:D:unsure::ermm::(

I posted on GT Rider that I am bound for Mae Sai after 15 Nov for a visa run.

Planning Hwy 118 Chiang Rai, overnight, Mae Sai for Visa run, then back thru Fang. Spend the night and return CNX.

Want to see the sites - White Temple, Opium Museum, etc.

Will keep you posted on dates, all welcome to come along.

Never been in the Rai so any recommendations re: hotels etc would be welcomed - around 1000 Baht.

Dale

Edited by seedy

It was a nice ride and I got to meet two new people, good guys, not to worry Scorp, you're a nice guy too :whistling:

Yes, that run down that gravel was dicey for my bike, but at least I know why I wanted a more cross over type of bike. Great sights and lunch was very good.

I certainly need to find that sheep skin, man my butt was sore.

Later guys

yes , good ride in good company in a green environment with lots of twistie roads , low traffic and a bit of gravel and potholes to make it more adventurous

great riding here up north ,

till next time ,

post-21441-0-06067800-1320590746_thumb.j

in the meanwhile i am also into dirt and cycling as usual

in the meanwhile i am also into dirt and cycling as usual

Welcome back Flupke and thanks for the picture!

Good to see that you are fit to fight as always.

If you need some 'overwhelmed support' you know who to call ...

It sounds like a great ride you had. About 150 kilometers?

Very beautiful landscape also.

Are the roads reasonable okay now between Wawi and Doi Mae Salong?

How many hours you were on your way?

Come on gentlemen, let us enjoy as well or was it just 'vroom-vroom'

and the look 'on infinity'?

another bridge picture on the Wawee reservoir , big project

post-21441-0-86437800-1320634028_thumb.j

more then 5 hr ride ,

the new road downhill from Wawee to the kok river on Thaton road is already in very bad shape ,

and then we tried a shortcut on way back from Maesalong , not really recommended , a D-tracker or KLX would be better

cycling is ok as usual , have a testrace on 13th in phayao

o and we have a new french champion in town , less then 32 min up doi Thung on roadbike , amazing

cycling is ok as usual , have a testrace on 13th in phayao

o and we have a new french champion in town , less then 32 min up doi Thung on roadbike , amazing

Chapeau!

Incredible almost! I must assume that we are talking about the 18 km track.

I remember that I fell off my chair four years ago when you did the 25 km version

in 54 minutes (on a mountainbike).

The overall winner needed only two minutes less.

Serious competition Flupke!

PS: I have a hybrid now and started with longer distances.

Four/five day trips of about 400 kilometers with an

average speed that is barely above twenty.

In Isarn.

Love it! :whistling:

If you are back early from Payao:

The statue of the most important foreigner ever in Thailand,

a Belgian of course, more precisely Chao Phya Abhai Raja

Siammanukulkij (Gustave Rolin Jaquemijns), will be unveiled

in Mae Chan that day at 17.30.

Give me a call if you might have some power left.

How do you post pictures to a topic?

Where are the pics you want to post Mac?

If they are on a website you use the "insert image" icon above the reply box. You right click on the pic and click copy image location, this saves the image URL on the mouse and you paste it into the insert image box.

If you want to use photos from your own file you use the "attach file" facility at the bottom of the reply box. This gives you a thumbnail on your post which expands when clicked on.

Like so. (bottom pic)

I like to post photos full size so store them on a website like Picasa or PhotoBucket. This enables me to add them to a post using the "insert image" button.

Like so.

IMG_1808.JPG

post-38081-0-23000100-1320722655_thumb.j

Edited by sceadugenga

Good job. You remembered to resize the photo before uploading. No bigger turkey than posting an oversized image file. Considering the season here is a sample of the biggest image for easy viewing.

Clouds%2B%2B001.jpg

Thanks VF, although at times it's hard to fly with the eagles when you ride with turkeys HaHaHa :lol:

I only had the camera up twice.

The first one from our first stop overlooking Mae Suay Dam.

post-29230-0-91661700-1320724199_thumb.j

And the second is from Wawi outside the restaurant (that is rebuilt).

post-29230-0-00812100-1320724291_thumb.j

:D;):)

Boy, I bet the locals locked up their wives and daughters when that pack of outlaw bikers roared into town. :lol:

This is the restaurant we went to in Wawi, it was a bit difficult to find but well worth it.

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG