Day Rides, Chiang Rai Bikers

kandahar

They have built a new road between rd 1234 (MaeChan - MaeSalong) and rd 1089 (MaeChan - ThaThon) and I heard from friends that it is a good road, new asphalt etc. But that one is NOT on GT-Riders map so we found a very old road/track from, if I remember right, Baan Klang on 1234 down to 1089.

Here is a pic how totally wrong we were.

post-29230-0-94933700-1320989296_thumb.p

But "our" road was much shorter and in the end when everyone were safe down, it was much more fun!

But next time if we have less experienced drivers we take the "good" road!

:D:lol::D

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have built a new road between rd 1234 (MaeChan - MaeSalong) and rd 1089 (MaeChan - ThaThon) and I heard from friends that it is a good road, new asphalt etc. But that one is NOT on GT-Riders map so we found a very old road/track from, if I remember right, Baan Klang on 1234 down to 1089.

But "our" road was much shorter and in the end when everyone were safe down, it was much more fun!

Nice to know :)

Nice to know :)

Yes, straight down is always the shortest way from the top of a hill to the bottom HaHaHa!!!!

cycling is ok as usual , have a testrace on 13th in phayao

o and we have a new french champion in town , less then 32 min up doi Thung on roadbike , amazing

Chapeau!

Incredible almost! I must assume that we are talking about the 18 km track.

I remember that I fell off my chair four years ago when you did the 25 km version

in 54 minutes (on a mountainbike).

The overall winner needed only two minutes less.

Serious competition Flupke!

Limbo :yohan:

PS: I have a hybrid now and started with longer distances.

Four/five day trips of about 400 kilometers with an

average speed that is barely above twenty.

In Isarn.

Love it! :whistling:

If you are back early from Payao:

The statue of the most important foreigner ever in Thailand,

a Belgian of course, more precisely Chao Phya Abhai Raja

Siammanukulkij (Gustave Rolin Jaquemijns), will be unveiled

in Mae Chan that day at 17.30.

Give me a call if you might have some power left.

I've only just learned what a hybrid is - a sort of 5 wheeled pedal bike lying on yr back? - maybe you're the gentleman I keep seeing on highway 1 / new chiang mai road, wirh the two red flags at the back? For some reason the sight of you cruising along always restores my Thai friends' confidence in farangs, me too :-)

Just got back from Doi Ang Kang, near Fang. Can' t be sure but it sure felt like it beat Pu Che Fa in the steepness and hairpin/switchback catagory. Wish I was on the bike but if I missed a shift, I may not have ever been found.

They say it is the little Switzerland of Thailand.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would get this back on the first page. Although Kd has sworn off TV, he has been compiling names of people who may be interested in a day ride at CR Saddlebags. This is perfect weather for a day ride. I am reluctant to be the trip organizer as I am a poor navigator but I recall the road to Tha Ton from Mae Chan to be a cruising delight. I am sure someone may know some side trips or some where new that we haven't tried before..

• 2 weeks later...

Though I would help you out Scorp, with another little bump to the top of the page. I was chided at lunch the other day for not be active or not stirring the pot, can’t remember which. So here I am, poking and prodding.

Thought I would get this back on the first page. Although Kd has sworn off TV, he has been compiling names of people who may be interested in a day ride at CR Saddlebags. This is perfect weather for a day ride. I am reluctant to be the trip organizer as I am a poor navigator but I recall the road to Tha Ton from Mae Chan to be a cruising delight. I am sure someone may know some side trips or some where new that we haven't tried before..

• 1 month later...

Hello,everybody welcome to read below this about the Day Ride for Chiang Rai welcomeani.gifjap.gif

Various Chiang Rai riders will take a motorcycle day ride on Sunday, April 1, 2012. Tentative route suggested is heading out towards Phayao in a roundabout way, with a lunch stop at restaurants overlooking the lake at Phayao. There will be bikes and scooters of all sizes and riders of various skill and daring levels. The riders will find themselves riding in smaller groups of riders that share their biking styles. Included in the ride will be a longer route for those who ride faster and want to see and do more before the lunch rendezvous at Phayao. As in past rides, coffee stops, toilet breaks, smoke breaks, hiding from the brief rain shower, sightseeing and picture taking are up to the individual riders during the ride. There is no time limit, no hurry to finish the route and no requirement to stay with the group. Cars, trucks and others are welcome to attend the ride and share in the sites, views, fun, camaraderie and companionship. It isn’t all about bikes; it is about the day out and having a good time with some good people. An extended route can be added to the ride after the lunch break for those who need a longer day and others will head straight back to Chiang Rai via the shortest route. Wives, girlfriends, significant others who wish to go along but don’t want to spend the day on a bike are encouraged to buddy up and come along in carpools or other types of vehicles.

There will be a route planning meeting at Chiang Rai Saddlebags and Biker Gear “Coffee Stop” at 7 p.m. on Saturday, 31 March. All are invited to attend and contribute route suggestions. Email suggestions are welcome also and will be presented to all on the eve of the 31st. Final route will be decided by the group and all input is welcome and needed. Start point will be the PTT fuel station and Amazon coffee shop on the Super Highway in Chiang Rai. Meet time for the ride will be approximately 08:30. Maps of the routes will be available to all who need one. Start time is approximately 09:00. Fuel, toilets, coffee and air for your tires is available at the start point. A Google map showing the start point will be sent out at a later date in case someone does not know where the PTT is.

As much as this is a chance to see some new roads or revisit familiar roads, it is also a great opportunity to meet some new people and begin to form some new friendships. The folks at Chiang Rai Saddlebags and Biker Gear have met hundreds of new people in the last year and we would really like all of them to have a chance to meet up with each other. There are many more interesting, fun and good people from many countries in this area than most of us know. In addition to the foreign riders, there will be a fair representation of the local Thai bikers.

This notice for the Day Ride has also gone out to our friends in Chiang Mai and other towns outside of Chiang Rai. If anyone needs a room for the night prior to, or after the ride, let us know. We can contact the Golden Land Hotel and see if we can arrange a special deal. Typical one night rent is 650 baht, including breakfast and they have covered bike and car parking right at your room door (carports for the rooms on the bottom floors).

If you wish to attend the planning meeting on the 31st of March, please let us know so we can make sure we have enough seating. If you plan to attend the Day Ride, please let us know so we can plan for the size of the group and print the proper number of maps. If you have friends, acquaintances and fellow riders who may want to attend, please forward this information to them so they may choose to join us. Again, bike sizes, riding styles and vehicle types are not an issue here. All are welcome and all will find others who share their way of enjoying a day out. If you have a group or club that wants to join us as representing that group, come join us.

In case of a seriously rainy day, the ride will be postponed and rescheduled for a day in the near future with a favorable weather forecast. Until then set aside Sunday, the 1st of April for the ride.

This notice has gone out in English to our English speaking friends and in Thai for our Thai speaking friends. Anyone please feel free to translate this to your home language or another and send it out via e-mail or via your websites to those who may benefit from it.

Edited by woraphat

Any chance the meeting to arrange the route could be on Friday evening? The reason I ask is that a couple of mates in CM are interested in perhaps meeting at some point and joining the ride but I won't be able to give them the route until late Saturday evening. I also read on a another forum that there are others in CM and elsewhere who are considering riding up to join but, again, if the meeting is at 7pm on Sat then it'll be late Sat evening before the agreed route(s) can be posted online, doesn't give people much time to see and then decide or plan. Just a thought!

The way this reads to me is that its every man for himself. That hardly sounds like a group ride to me and makes the setting of routes unnecessary in my opinion. Just set a time for your lunch rendezvous in Phayao and people can get there any way they choose.

Even the need for a starting point seems questionable with riders scattered over such a vast area. For many it would be a substantial detour just to get to the start point.

Anyway I hope sales go up, you all have fun and as Garry says don’t forget to post some nice snaps of a petrol station or two.biggrin.png

The way this reads to me is that its every man for himself. That hardly sounds like a group ride to me and makes the setting of routes unnecessary in my opinion. Just set a time for your lunch rendezvous in Phayao and people can get there any way they choose.

Even the need for a starting point seems questionable with riders scattered over such a vast area. For many it would be a substantial detour just to get to the start point.

Anyway I hope sales go up, you all have fun and as Garry says don’t forget to post some nice snaps of a petrol station or two.biggrin.png

Sounds like you won't be joining VF but if you could confirm that it might increase numbers considerably wink.png

• Like 1

Any chance the meeting to arrange the route could be on Friday evening? The reason I ask is that a couple of mates in CM are interested in perhaps meeting at some point and joining the ride but I won't be able to give them the route until late Saturday evening. I also read on a another forum that there are others in CM and elsewhere who are considering riding up to join but, again, if the meeting is at 7pm on Sat then it'll be late Sat evening before the agreed route(s) can be posted online, doesn't give people much time to see and then decide or plan. Just a thought!

Hello Mr. skybluestu. Please contact me for detail. You can tell your friends the way on the mobile. The way of the ride map will not go here. Will have maps for all on Sunday. The man who has the idea for the ride wants the meeting Saturday night. Also contact me if you want the e-mail about the rides. We send that to many and happy to add you and others to the ride e-mail list. We are only the messenger about the ride because we have a big e-mail list of people who want to do. Next time will be someone else with the plan. Maybe you? See you soon.WPFflags.gifsmile.png

You couldn’t pay me to ride in a group outing like this or in weather like this. May as well suck on an exhaust pipe.sick.gifbiggrin.png

Before I was riding with anyone, in the smokey season when I deemed it bad enough, I would wear the activated carbon disposable masks. They work fine, but depends on you comfort factor I suppose, wearing one under a fullface. I'll more than likely be wearing them again when I get home.

Hello,everybody welcome to read below this about the Day Ride for Chiang Rai welcomeani.gifjap.gif

Various Chiang Rai riders will take a motorcycle day ride on Sunday, April 1, 2012. Tentative route suggested is heading out towards Phayao in a roundabout way, with a lunch stop at restaurants overlooking the lake at Phayao. There will be bikes and scooters of all sizes and riders of various skill and daring levels. The riders will find themselves riding in smaller groups of riders that share their biking styles. Included in the ride will be a longer route for those who ride faster and want to see and do more before the lunch rendezvous at Phayao. As in past rides, coffee stops, toilet breaks, smoke breaks, hiding from the brief rain shower, sightseeing and picture taking are up to the individual riders during the ride. There is no time limit, no hurry to finish the route and no requirement to stay with the group. Cars, trucks and others are welcome to attend the ride and share in the sites, views, fun, camaraderie and companionship. It isn’t all about bikes; it is about the day out and having a good time with some good people. An extended route can be added to the ride after the lunch break for those who need a longer day and others will head straight back to Chiang Rai via the shortest route. Wives, girlfriends, significant others who wish to go along but don’t want to spend the day on a bike are encouraged to buddy up and come along in carpools or other types of vehicles.

There will be a route planning meeting at Chiang Rai Saddlebags and Biker Gear “Coffee Stop” at 7 p.m. on Saturday, 31 March. All are invited to attend and contribute route suggestions. Email suggestions are welcome also and will be presented to all on the eve of the 31st. Final route will be decided by the group and all input is welcome and needed. Start point will be the PTT fuel station and Amazon coffee shop on the Super Highway in Chiang Rai. Meet time for the ride will be approximately 08:30. Maps of the routes will be available to all who need one. Start time is approximately 09:00. Fuel, toilets, coffee and air for your tires is available at the start point. A Google map showing the start point will be sent out at a later date in case someone does not know where the PTT is.

As much as this is a chance to see some new roads or revisit familiar roads, it is also a great opportunity to meet some new people and begin to form some new friendships. The folks at Chiang Rai Saddlebags and Biker Gear have met hundreds of new people in the last year and we would really like all of them to have a chance to meet up with each other. There are many more interesting, fun and good people from many countries in this area than most of us know. In addition to the foreign riders, there will be a fair representation of the local Thai bikers.

This notice for the Day Ride has also gone out to our friends in Chiang Mai and other towns outside of Chiang Rai. If anyone needs a room for the night prior to, or after the ride, let us know. We can contact the Golden Land Hotel and see if we can arrange a special deal. Typical one night rent is 650 baht, including breakfast and they have covered bike and car parking right at your room door (carports for the rooms on the bottom floors).

If you wish to attend the planning meeting on the 31st of March, please let us know so we can make sure we have enough seating. If you plan to attend the Day Ride, please let us know so we can plan for the size of the group and print the proper number of maps. If you have friends, acquaintances and fellow riders who may want to attend, please forward this information to them so they may choose to join us. Again, bike sizes, riding styles and vehicle types are not an issue here. All are welcome and all will find others who share their way of enjoying a day out. If you have a group or club that wants to join us as representing that group, come join us.

In case of a seriously rainy day, the ride will be postponed and rescheduled for a day in the near future with a favorable weather forecast. Until then set aside Sunday, the 1st of April for the ride.

This notice has gone out in English to our English speaking friends and in Thai for our Thai speaking friends. Anyone please feel free to translate this to your home language or another and send it out via e-mail or via your websites to those who may benefit from it.

KD/Woraphat, I don't think it would be prudent to take both wife and girlfriend. hit-the-fan.gif

Hello everyone. Please read below the way we go tomorrow. See you there.clap2.gif

Hello all.

There will be two routes for the ride on April 1. There is a route for the faster bikes and a route for the not so fast.

Fast route is:

Leaving PTT start point, proceed on Route 1 to Route 118 turn off at Ban Mai. Right turn on Route118 and proceed to Route 120 just before Mae Kachan. Left turn on Route 120 into Phayao and follow the lake front.

Slower route is:

Leaving PTT start point, proceed on Route 1 just a few kilometers to Route 1020. Make the left onto Route 1020 and proceed to Route 1028 just past Chiang Khien. Right onto Route 1028 through Ko to Pa Ngae and Route 1126. Left on 1126 to Pa Daet and then right on Route 1202. Follow Route 1202 into Phayao ad follow the lake front.

Along the lake front in Phayao, look for a black Vigo (our support vehicle) parked at the entrance to a restaurant. We will decide from there where to eat. After lunch, some will do the high circuit overlooking the lake if they want and then all will head home via the same routes or the direct route (Route 1) for those in a hurry to get back to Chiang Rai. The Chiang Mai riders will break off after lunch and head to Chiang Mai

If you're lost or cannot find the meet points, you can call 089-429-4562 for directions or help.

Basic maps will be available at the start point at 09:00 a.m. for those who need one. Phone number exchange is encouraged.

Despite the smoke and rain forecast there was quite a good turnout with over 20 bikes today. Everyone decided to take the same route to Phayao via Pa Daet then meet up for lunch by the lake. The Chiang Mai boys then made their way back on the lovely 120 while most others took the quick way home on the 1. I'm sure they'll be some more pics later but here are a few I took. Very pleasant ride with pleasant people, thanks all!

post-61039-0-62503300-1333268982_thumb.j

post-61039-0-41230300-1333269017_thumb.j

post-61039-0-79918500-1333269055_thumb.j

post-61039-0-95099000-1333269088_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks like a good turn out and a nice cross section of bikes.

What were the smallest Bikes to join ?

Thought there is a red Honda PCX in the Picture at the lake ?

Actually the smallest bike (125?) was an emergency last minute replacement for J. who was the instigator for this ride. He normally rides a 1000cc. Other than that there was PCX150 and a CBR150