Day Rides, Chiang Rai Bikers

kandahar

Jubby, assuming you are going :huh: , if VF's place for a link up falls through, Is there a meetup place in P. Mengrai, etc that makes sense. Not sure where raylo lives and only know about where you live. Some place EASY to find. Coffee shop,etc.B)

I thought I would tag along with Kd on Wednesday afternoon , So I won't be around. Ofcourse your welcome to Join us. alternatively, You can find civilization sort of, In phayamengrai. coffee shops , kiosks etc.. Last time I met you in SOP PAO and took a scenic route bypassing Phayamengrai.

Don't take that road, instead follow signs for phayamengrai. after about 7 k you'll come to the T-junction with VF's road. 1174. Sign posted in English 'CHIANG KHONG' coffee available at that crossroads. or hit that road for approx 15K and you'll come to VF's place, where you can get refreshments and a Shower courtesy of his Daughter :)

As this is a secret between you two can I ask from which direction you would be coming from to SOP PAo. It probaly wont be any good for me as I expect you mean coming from CR and I will be coming from Thoeng direction but still I thought I would make an attempt to break the code in case it becomes invaluable while riding / driving.

You won't have to worry about me Raylo. I'll just turn up unannouced and offer beer for board :lol:

Never a worry - always welcome. Have to find that missing screw for the barbie in anticipation. Only the missus is ever worried about unanounced arrivals! My feeling if they dont like what they see the road is the black thing out front. I will open the gate for them.

Looks like VF has disappeared up his fundamental orifice after alluding to a statement whether he was going or not. Thats where I have to agree with Jubby about which side of his brain is dominant.

Will have to work out the route by myself now as I did not want to go dirt riding up the main road again. No telling what it is like after last weeks downpour. Makes me think about the road in Cambodia that is maintained by Thailand. AFter the rainy season you could literally drive a bus into it. Like a crater on the moon.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will probably now take a break at VF's, as I have no idea where SOP PAO is, despite being there. I need to keep it simple unless I am following someone who knows the way. I am embarrassingly easy to get lost in the country side. Would be happy to follow in your wake on the way up, if I can keep up.B)

VF is not coming.

Can't think of anyone else who is coming from CR that you might tag along with. Sven is more or less on your way out of CR and I know you can keep up with him. Don't know if he is going or not.

Never a worry - always welcome. Have to find that missing screw for the barbie in anticipation. Only the missus is ever worried about unanounced arrivals! My feeling if they dont like what they see the road is the black thing out front. I will open the gate for them.

Looks like VF has disappeared up his fundamental orifice after alluding to a statement whether he was going or not. Thats where I have to agree with Jubby about which side of his brain is dominant.

Will have to work out the route by myself now as I did not want to go dirt riding up the main road again. No telling what it is like after last weeks downpour. Makes me think about the road in Cambodia that is maintained by Thailand. AFter the rainy season you could literally drive a bus into it. Like a crater on the moon.

The roads fine, It is still the main highway after all. The Secret is slowing down when you hit the roadworks. I found out about this secret after busting a shocker last year. It was all hardpacked a little over a week ago.

Judging by my local dirt roads, they improved with the light rain we had. Honestly

The roads fine, It is still the main highway after all. The Secret is slowing down when you hit the roadworks. I found out about this secret after busting a shocker last year. It was all hardpacked a little over a week ago.

Judging by my local dirt roads, they improved with the light rain we had. Honestly

Ok Thx for the update and for not mentioning GPS's. I was on the Thoeng CK road in January and found it was crap with no rain around even. Not as bad as the Chiang Saen section though.

I will look through the maps and see if I can work out the alternative route. If not I will try the main road if the missus dont like it we will find an alternative venue. Yes I know she was with me on the last trail ride.

Cheers

And as to it being the main road the one I mentioned in Cambodia was also a main road.

Have not checked out our local dirt roads lately as I have been otherwise occupied but good point!

Can't think of anyone else who is coming from CR that you might tag along with. Sven is more or less on your way out of CR and I know you can keep up with him. Don't know if he is going or not.

Sorry guys, I can not go this time. Been away for a time and need a trip to Mae Sai. A little bit busy... Will try Pot Luck.

But have a good trip and be careful when you drive over the Motorbike Bridge!

B):DB)

OK try a post again, hope this isn't double post. Will leave CR 0700 up the 1173 to 1020 then left to waralak, right at homemart, left 100 M at water tank, then 200M to blue/cream house, right? Expect arrive 0900-0930.

That'll work. I'd do 1173, 1098, then left onto 1174 (nicer road) which brings you almost to CK. left again on 1020 for a couple of clicks. But 'Upto you' as your Wife probably says :)

Maybe you and Scorpio could get together for the Trip. I'm concerned he'll get lost :)

I Will post 'Lat' & 'Longs' for the blue and cream House this evening if its OK with Worzel

Edited by jubby

Sorry guys, I can not go this time. Been away for a time and need a trip to Mae Sai. A little bit busy... Will try Pot Luck.

But have a good trip and be careful when you drive over the Motorbike Bridge!

B):DB)

We'll deal with the motorbike bridge when we get to it Sven . Don't want to cause undue Alarm :D

OK try a post again, hope this isn't double post. Will leave CR 0700 up the 1173 to 1020 then left to waralak, right at homemart, left 100 M at water tank, then 200M to blue/cream house, right? Expect arrive 0900-0930.

That'll work. I'd do 1173, 1098, then left onto 1174 (nicer road) which brings you almost to CK. left again on 1020 for a couple of clicks. But 'Upto you' as your Wife probably says :)

Maybe you and Scorpio could get together for the Trip. I'm concerned he'll get lost :)

I Will post 'Lat' & 'Longs' for the blue and cream House this evening if its OK with Worzel

Na prob :) .

So , ........... We are still waiting on 'lat' & 'longs' for worzels place. B)

Scorpio, I'll be at the turn off to 1173 Wiang Chai @ #1 hwy at 0700 thursday OK. Let me know if you want to join up. Always nice to have someone else to blame if I get lost :rolleyes:

Seems this 1173 turns into 1232 for a bit then back to 1173? Anyway will make the turn at 1098? to 1020, then worzels.

shouldn't really need em. the directions are pretty straight forward and accurate unless Macdonald want to call in an AirStrike and rule out civilian Casualties :)

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy::clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Scorpio, I'll be at the turn off to 1173 Wiang Chai @ #1 hwy at 0700 thursday OK. Let me know if you want to join up. Always nice to have someone else to blame if I get lost :rolleyes:

Seems this 1173 turns into 1232 for a bit then back to 1173? Anyway will make the turn at 1098? to 1020, then worzels.

Macdon: is the above your verbage. A little confused as it was embedded in Jubbys post. I had planed to go to Playa Meng Rai and take a mini break at VF's then head up 1174. Please be advised Iam not an early morning person so 7:00 may be a bit dicey.

Everyone else: Which is the easist/better route, the above or using 1173 as Macdon is thinking?:huh:

Just following along guys, looks like you got the time and date, I didn't see a meeting point. Did I miss that?

One guy seems to be worried about getting lost, that shouldn't happen once he hooks up with you guys.

Here we have three meeting points, normally gas stations that are easy to find, really in case someone needs to top of the fuel. Small rides where everyone is riding about the same are not very formal. But the big rides we usually have leader and then a gout that rides in the back and knows the route to cover slower riders.

You guys are doing great good luck

Macdon: is the above your verbage. A little confused as it was embedded in Jubbys post. I had planed to go to Playa Meng Rai and take a mini break at VF's then head up 1174. Please be advised Iam not an early morning person so 7:00 may be a bit dicey.

Everyone else: Which is the easist/better route, the above or using 1173 as Macdon is thinking?:huh:

There's really little in it distance or timewise.

Why not PM Mcdonna and invite him along to VF's with you. maybe a compromise on time too, say 7.30 :(

He also has a GPS and a Chopper :D

Hey, you both know it makes sense.

I can drag my feet a little and say 0730 on Wiang Chai road. I don't know where VF is so that is no help for a meet? Can always leave it for next time when I am better prepared with locations and stuff. If you see a 6'2" farang on a black MC, that is most like;y me :rolleyes: .

See you all tomorrow.

Jubby, assuming you are going :huh: , if VF's place for a link up falls through, Is there a meetup place in P. Mengrai, etc that makes sense. Not sure where raylo lives and only know about where you live. Some place EASY to find. Coffee shop,etc.B)

I thought I would tag along with Kd on Wednesday afternoon , So I won't be around. Ofcourse your welcome to Join us. alternatively, You can find civilization sort of, In phayamengrai. coffee shops , kiosks etc.. Last time I met you in SOP PAO and took a scenic route bypassing Phayamengrai.

Don't take that road, instead follow signs for phayamengrai. after about 7 k you'll come to the T-junction with VF's road. 1174. Sign posted in English 'CHIANG KHONG' coffee available at that crossroads. or hit that road for approx 15K and you'll come to VF's place, where you can get refreshments and a Shower courtesy of his Daughter :)

As this is a secret between you two can I ask from which direction you would be coming from to SOP PAo. It probaly wont be any good for me as I expect you mean coming from CR and I will be coming from Thoeng direction but still I thought I would make an attempt to break the code in case it becomes invaluable while riding / driving.

Can't see any code Raylo. ofcourse he's coming from CR. Just a route he's familiar with. If I was you I'd just get on the thoeng to CK road, 1020 , its fine apart from a few stretches of roadworks.Alternatively, Why not meet scorpio at the T-junction 1174, 1152 in phayamengrai.

Its only 1 hour from Ck, Very nice road conditions and If VF ever gets back to us, you could Toot as you pass

And I notice you were the one who recommended not using the 1020 in an earlier post. Wondwer which one of you has the split personality?

WIll still be going My Way which is the highway anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aht9hcDFyVw&feature=player_detailpage

I can drag my feet a little and say 0730 on Wiang Chai road. I don't know where VF is so that is no help for a meet? Can always leave it for next time when I am better prepared with locations and stuff. If you see a 6'2" farang on a black MC, that is most like;y me :rolleyes: .

See you all tomorrow.

IF you get this .If I can get there by 730, will attempt to link up with you. If not, I will go the Playa Meng Rai route since I know that way. Later B)

See you all tomorrow.

IF you get this .If I can get there by 730, will attempt to link up with you. If not, I will go the Playa Meng Rai route since I know that way. Later B)

Got it and will wait up for you just up the road from hwy #1 toward Wiang Chai (1173). Not a fast mover on a bike so a nice relaxed run. Google says 1hr & 50min run @60K.

Black helmet over white hair, gray jacket if still a cool morning.

Which one of us has a Split personality Raylo ? ...... Its just me, myself and I. Which one of us are you refering to ?

Anyway, Guys . Great day out today. What more can I say !? :) What more can either of me say ? ;)

To all the Jubbys out there and the rest of the guys who made the effort to turn up - Great to see you all and we both had a good day.

Worzel the PCF road was a little bit better than in January and some of the corners were fun .Definitely need to find boots that fit me. I am

losing the sole on the left foot slowly despite being extra careful to tuck it in more.

Sorry your boots dont fit. Too narrow I did tyr them -

Thx boys & girls

Had a great day at the ride, met great people and got to see some incredible sites. Thanks to Mark for the run back and a road that was more an elevator with hairpin turns then road, great riding road. Nice to get back to feeling the MC under me rather then just steering it, hope it all comes back. Back to Canada sunday but will check in and see you all in a couple of months.

:jap: sawadee

Yes, a nice trip.

I spent the night in CK. Stayed at a guest house, 650 baht included A/C but no breakfast offered. But after seeing the room, it felt right so I went with it. Decent, quiet place, overlooks the river. Had a decent Mexican dinner in CK last evening. Didn't really have any hopes that it would be edible but I enjoyed the pleasant surprise of a quality effort on the chicken and cheese burrito and nice chips and fresh home-made salsa. The place is on the main drag, in the guest house area of town. Maybe they will open in CR one day. I hope so.

Coffee out on the town early in the morning today and then off for more at Woralak's residence. His coffee was great. Town coffee sucked so I was glad to have some good stuff to really start the day right.

Now several of us early guys are sitting in the shade at Woralak's, waiting for the rest of the guys and someone hears the sound of that big Harley coming in. "Here comes Raylo" someone says. Other's agree, that yes, he is arriving. We all watch the corner of the fence, waiting for him to come into view and, at last, here it comes. A farmer on a tractor! Raylo did arrive sometime later but by then, we were all gun-shy about predicting that the sound we were hearing was his bike. We should have stopped that farmer and told him about it. Might have made him feel good. Sorry Raylo.

Really nice ride, lots of twisties and hard turns, hard climbs and steep drops. Hot day on the lowlands, downright cool on the mountain tops. Great lunch near a summit. Need to do that one again some day.

Nice, comfortable ride home with about half of the gang. Sorry, VF, we took a different route on the way home and all of us were ready to get home and get off the bikes for the day.

Thanks to all of you guys. I enjoyed everyone's company. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Forgot the most important part. When I pulled into the car-park at home this evening, I could smell the wife's special brand of southwest chili. The crockpot/slow cooker had just finished cooking another perfect batch. Anyone wants to stop by tomorrow and have a sample is welcome. She does this once a week here. That girl can cook.

Forgot the most important part. When I pulled into the car-park at home this evening, I could smell the wife's special brand of southwest chili. The crockpot/slow cooker had just finished cooking another perfect batch. Anyone wants to stop by tomorrow and have a sample is welcome. She does this once a week here. That girl can cook.

Extremely tempting. One of my favourite dishes but too far. Would hate to go the distance and get one spoonful. What about for the Hot Pot?

Thx for the tractor analogy. I could have bought 2 of the big mothers and a small one for the Harley.

Anyway I will find a suitable anecdote for you at a future date. Remember "Revenge is a dish best served cold".

Extremely tempting. One of my favourite dishes but too far. Would hate to go the distance and get one spoonful. What about for the Hot Pot?

Thx for the tractor analogy. I could have bought 2 of the big mothers and a small one for the Harley.

Anyway I will find a suitable anecdote for you at a future date. Remember "Revenge is a dish best served cold".

It was a Kubota L3408 if anyones interested :D .... The Guy driving it was complaining about needing a new Pair of Boots because he had worn the sole of his left shoe cornering the thing B)

It was a Kubota L3408 if anyones interested :D .... The Guy driving it was complaining about needing a new Pair of Boots because he had worn the sole of his left shoe cornering the thing B)

That is hilarious!

I fired up our Ingersol-Rand workshop compressor the other day and noticed how similar Harley engines look in repect to it. I suppsoe I should can the V-twin jokes as I have a L-Twin :D

I fired up our Ingersol-Rand workshop compressor the other day and noticed how similar Harley engines look in repect to it. I suppsoe I should can the V-twin jokes as I have a L-Twin :D

He made a comment today when I started the KLX that he thought it was my starter motor. he who laugh's last or something like that :D

Ah yes but is it a small l or a big L? Size does count sometimes