K-1 I-134

I'm attemping to bring my Thai fiance to the US.......since i have been self employed for years....my income declared for tax purposes doesnt reflect what i actually earned. I have shown a loss for the last 2 yrs. Other than having someone co-sign ...is there any other way to overcome this.....i have property valued at about $250,00....and about $17,000 cash in the bank....could the property be used in lieu of income

thx for any advice

I'm attemping to bring my Thai fiance to the US.......since i have been self employed for years....my income declared for tax purposes doesnt reflect what i actually earned. I have shown a loss for the last 2 yrs. Other than having someone co-sign ...is there any other way to overcome this.....i have property valued at about  $250,00....and about $17,000 cash in the bank....could the property be used in lieu of income

thx for any advice

The I-134 is only for the visa. Technically, it is only supposed to cover the 90 days that the visa is valid. After you get married, you have file an I-864 Affidavit of Support. This is the one that is supposed to last ten years.

In both cases, they take assets into account. But it still does not mean they will grant the visa.

Personally, I'd be more worried about the "my income declared for tax puposes doesn't reflect what I actually earned." part of your situation. The affidavit is a legal document. If you plan on lying on it, and they call you on it, this could cause you big problems.

I'm attemping to bring my Thai fiance to the US.......since i have been self employed for years....my income declared for tax purposes doesnt reflect what i actually earned. I have shown a loss for the last 2 yrs. Other than having someone co-sign ...is there any other way to overcome this.....i have property valued at about  $250,00....and about $17,000 cash in the bank....could the property be used in lieu of income

thx for any advice

If everythings legitimate, or even just grey, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. However, if you've been "gaming" the system it might be coming back to haunt you. The key will be your ability to justify what you've reported. The consulate folks will of course want documentation on everything and as far as I know there aren't any restrictions on what they are allowed to ask -- and they will ask. You haven't mentioned if you're in the US or in Thailand. I don't know if the State Department co-operates with the IRS but I do believe the IRS has a working relationship with the INS.

thx for any advice

If everythings legitimate, or even just grey, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. However, if you've been "gaming" the system it might be coming back to haunt you. The key will be your ability to justify what you've reported. The consulate folks will of course want documentation on everything and as far as I know there aren't any restrictions on what they are allowed to ask -- and they will ask. You haven't mentioned if you're in the US or in Thailand. I don't know if the State Department co-operates with the IRS but I do believe the IRS has a working relationship with the INS.

Thanks for the timely reply....I dont think IRS is problem....everthing is legit as far as taxes go.....the cash ive aquired is an inheritance and well documented. I think my problem is going to be explaining how I plan to support her........Im in the US now ...we plan on moving back to thailand to live after 2 yrs....maybe summer in the US each yr. Thanks again