Salas

ChiangMaiFun

Why not have one built to order? If you speak Thai, I can refer someone who lives south of the moat but will go anywhere. He does wood, concrete, steel work welded to order; you design it, he will build it. Very reasonable prices.

My only reservations would be you have to act as the general contractor and monitor how he does it. He and his crew will do it like they always do, but sometimes you might want it done differently. I, for example, insisted on readi-mixed concrete for my pad. I would not let him hand mix small batches. I specified and verified the thickness and how deep I wanted the reinforcing mesh. And insured it was suspended in the concrete, not lying on the sand bed.

There's a place on the Super - east of town and coming towards CM - between the Mahidol Road underpass (for airport) and the newish Toyota showroom that do them ready built upwards from around 35 k.

Think there's also a place somewhere in Kamtien plus they have those (expensive) sales couple times a year by Tesco

If you want bamboo sala there is an outfit on Maejo Road which builds them very cheaply and does excellent work. Just tell them what you want and they will build it for you. Usually there is about 2 week waiting period, as they are busy. Company is on left side of road, heading from CM to Maejo. It is right before PTT gas station, about 6 km from Meechok Plaza. Just look for various bamboo structures on display before gas station.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a place on the Super - east of town and coming towards CM - between the Mahidol Road underpass (for airport) and the newish Toyota showroom that do them ready built upwards from around 35 k.

Think there's also a place somewhere in Kamtien plus they have those (expensive) sales couple times a year by Tesco

Made by prison inmates from Lamphun!

David

PS can't see the pic!

Made by prison inmates from Lamphun!

David

PS can't see the pic!

went today and it's moved (don't know where)

If anyone's interested I've become a mini-bloodhound concerning Sala's! I have just bought one after 'nearly' buying one at 'Saravuth House' on the road to Ban Tawai - I say 'nearly' as although they are very good quality they are soooooo expensive.

I was quoted 45,000 no discount! anyway a 'friend' showed me another place within Ban Tawai itself and I got a 95% identical Sala for 20,000 (teak roof, hardwood interior) Thai style - but a month's wait as there was a queue. So 25,000 better off and I'll have to be a little more patient.

Here endeth the Sala saga

Doi Sakhet Road about half way coming from Doi Sakhet into Chiang Mai - you see them by the roadside - plenty of them. (They also sell coffins!)

But be aware not to scare your Thai friends away with a wooden Sala as some time ago somebody came up with the idea to transport the dead in a wooden Sala to their cremation- in the past they used a colorful "prasad" to cover the coffin and it was burned together with the remains.

Recently it has become "fashionable" to use a wooden Sala which is not burned together with the remains but donated to the temple after the cremation as it can be used as a Sala on the temple grounds - some are given to schools e.g.

Good idea I think - not money wasted and burned - but as we all know the problem is many Thais are so superstitious! Some people might not want to sit down in your beautiful wooden Sala since there might be the "ghost" of a dearly departed in there!

Doi Sakhet Road about half way coming from Doi Sakhet into Chiang Mai - you see them by the roadside - plenty of them. (They also sell coffins!)

But be aware not to scare your Thai friends away with a wooden Sala as some time ago somebody came up with the idea to transport the dead in a wooden Sala to their cremation- in the past they used a colorful "prasad" to cover the coffin and it was burned together with the remains.

Recently it has become "fashionable" to use a wooden Sala which is not burned together with the remains but donated to the temple after the cremation as it can be used as a Sala on the temple grounds - some are given to schools e.g.

Good idea I think - not money wasted and burned - but as we all know the problem is many Thais are so superstitious! Some people might not want to sit down in your beautiful wooden Sala since there might be the "ghost" of a dearly departed in there!

wow! luckily mine is being built to order so hopefully no spooks!

For adventure, you could take a day trip down to Phrae, near the border with Lampang, where a large area along highway 11 just past the turn-off from Route 101 is devoted to selling wooden salas, furniture, and even whole prefab teak houses. And they will deliver to Chiang Mai. I can't guarantee it, but I think you'll save 25-50% over Chiang Mai prices. Nice drive too.

Phayao is another big source for salas. We ordered ours from there & saved about 10,000 Baht over what the shops in Chiang Mai were asking for similar models, and we did look at many places. Octagonal hard wood (not teak) sala with seating for about 8 delivered & set up for just over 20,000. Never had a problem with Thais being afraid to sit in it. Just the opposite - on occasion we've found strangers lounging in our garden.

If anyone's interested I've become a mini-bloodhound concerning Sala's! I have just bought one after 'nearly' buying one at 'Saravuth House' on the road to Ban Tawai - I say 'nearly' as although they are very good quality they are soooooo expensive.

I was quoted 45,000 no discount! anyway a 'friend' showed me another place within Ban Tawai itself and I got a 95% identical Sala for 20,000 (teak roof, hardwood interior) Thai style - but a month's wait as there was a queue. So 25,000 better off and I'll have to be a little more patient.

Thanks for the information.

What were the main diffrerences between the 45 000 Baht and the 20 000 one?

That's a huge difference.

Regards

Will

Thanks for the information.

What were the main diffrerences between the 45 000 Baht and the 20 000 one?

That's a huge difference.

Regards

Will

the problem is I can't give you an answer - they look the same to me! just the one I am having made is 'made-to-order' by some old guy one at a time - that's why i have to wait one month because someone is ahead of me in the sala queue

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

• 2 months later...

I am looking for a bamboo sala producer in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai area. Must be a big manufacturer who can handle export orders (e.g. container loads). Someone told me that there was a place near Global House but could not find it yesterday. Then I drove from Chiang Mai via Lamphun, Lampang and Phayao back to Chiang Rai but did not see any either. Actually I hardly see any bamboo sala's near houses or used by restaurants. Is this a typical South Thailand thing? There you see them everywhere. Anyone any tips? (Apart from the obvious go to South Thailand).