Drivers License Renewal

shepsel

I went to renew my driver's license yesterday and I couldn't believe how organized and efficient the staff were. My license expired last May and I anticipated problems, but I was in and out in less than five minutes. Unbelievable!!!!!

Maybe they could show Immigration how to run an agency because the day before I went to get a residency permit and it took over two hours. The clerk who was assigned to doing this task was busy talking and text messaging on his phone most of the time I was waiting. I am sure it was not work related.

hi, could you list the documents you had to provide to the immigration and to the driving license office?

soon i will have to renew both by motorbike and my car driving license, do you know if i will have to bring all the documents in double copy to have 2 new driving licenses or to they merge them in one?

thanks

I took my passport, a copy of the page with my passport number and picture, a copy of the page with my current visa, also a residency certificate which costs 500 baht and a two and a half hour wait at immigration, and a medical certificate along with my expired driving license. Prior to getting the residency certificate I had to get a signed letter from the manager of the apartment building I am living in, and take all the above information to immigration to get the residency certificate.

The five year license (renewal) cost 605 baht which is 505 for the license and 100 for the photo on the license. By the way if you forget to get anything copied, there is a service on the same floor (2nd) which does it for 1 baht per page.

I did not to take any test. Just gave in the papers, and walked out of the building in less than 5 minutes.

Hi Shepsel,

Did they actually look at the current visa? Although I have a 5 year license I'm currently only here on a tourist visa - which I believe is insufficient for a new license and possibly not acceptable for renewal either. I can get address letter OK of course.

• 2 months later...

update:

went there last week with adress paper from immigration, medical certif., and old licenses and copies of the passport (picture, arriving card, last entry stamp, visa extension)

i had to pass the sight test and reflexes test, quite easy and then i had to to listen/watch a 1hr video about driving in thailand, a bit boring but can do.

you have to go at 9.00am or at 1.00pm

for those who need an international driving license , valid 1 year, you can do it there too with the same papers.

Hi Shepsel,

Did they actually look at the current visa? Although I have a 5 year license I'm currently only here on a tourist visa - which I believe is insufficient for a new license and possibly not acceptable for renewal either. I can get address letter OK of course.

They took a photocopy of the passport that I gave them--I am not sure if they actually looked at the visa stamp.. I had the last 90 days on my ED visa when I renewed the license. They did ask for the medical letter which I supplied. One thing that mixed them up was that I changed apartment units in my condo and they had to call the condo management to ask some questions in Thai because the unit numbers didn't match with the old license.

The licence people are nearly always efficient and helpful but I think you were just unlucky with the confirmation of residency which is generally a half hour at the most.

Yes, this being one section that doesn't issue a receipt, is often much faster. wink.gif

Does everyone need a medical certificate, and where do you get them?

In my case my drivers license was lost (courtest of some bank staffer who took it to copy it and never returned it ... but I only realised much later ... grrr) ... but does not actually expire until later this year ... I still have my m/bike license though ... I wonder if I will need to get the medical certificate?

And for the benefit of any others in a similar position, I have been told I have to provide a police report to get a replacement license.

Yes indeed, Immigration do need to emulate the Thai Licensing Department officials who really are well organized and efficient. Probably the Immigration Department should go on bi-weekly tours there to see how it should be done. Possibly they should construct new buildings there to the left as one enters the gate.