Process To Get Visitor Visa

Ok,I have a Thai male friend who would like to come to Australia for 2 weeks holidays.

The scenario is this, His english is nearly 100%,he's 30yo,he is working as cook in a Farang operated restaurant in Northern Thailand.

His parents own a lot of land apparently but according to him are cash poor,however can take a loan against the land if necessary,i do have my doubts as he drives a new Isuzu,anyway.

But,can someone answer this, I asked him to come to Australia for a 2 week holiday,personally i would rather him come for 3 months,however is that too much for a first time applicant.mainly so he can look at the Thai food selection here and come here as a visitor on a visitor visa,he is fascinated by Australia and has friends here already albeit they are richer than him.

He already has a passport.he has been to Cambodia,Laos and Malaysia apparently.

I did ring up a visa centre in Pattaya when i was there but for some reason before i even got half the story out the guy started shouting at me telling me i should say I was gay and this was my BF which is incorrect and I dont want to do this ,his said cannot help me .

I mean gee with all the rough looking tattooed long haired Thai people I see walking around Australian Cities,working in Restaurants,driving taxis etc,how do they get in so easily.

I mean I Sydney Australia virtually is full of Thais in some places,and even seeing small Thai flags on Taxi cabs driving in the City.

I would like to know the process to get him a visitor visa.

According to him he has 100,000 baht cash in his bank book.

His parents/family have a house and apparently miles and miles of land,i doubt immigration would care about that.

The problem is the boss he s working for will not give him a letter to say he s working for him,I dont know why,he seems to be scared to put his name to support his employee on a 2 week break.

oK So where would we go from here.

I contacted a Thai agent in Australia,he wants $4500 to assist,

The one in Pattaya only wanted 40,000 baht.

Can I do it myself.

Edited by actiondell4

Two main things:

1) Reason to return.

2) Support while there.

If he has a job, get a letter from his employer saying he's allowed to take some time off. 3 months might be a bit of a stretch, but a month might be acceptable. If he has a good job, and a good car, and cash in the bank, it's all helpful.

If he is visiting you, or staying with you, write a letter to say that.

You shouldn't need an agent as it's a pretty simple process. But an agent can save a lot of running around, so might be worth the expense.

edit: missed the point about the employer not wanting to write a letter. makes it harder for you.

Edited by whybother

I doubt that you need to employ the services of an agent for this one if you're willing to put the time into collecting the documentation yourself. An agent can help you organise the information and perhaps educate you about common pitfalls, but as you know they have no influence on the decision-making process. Up to you to determine if that is worth 40,000 baht.

IMHO, the greatest hurdle to overcome in your situation is the employer's reluctance to supply a letter verifying employment. Without this, you're likely to get the #1 reason for rejection: no compelling reason to return. Is your friend married? Does he have any children? Is any of the "miles and miles of land" registered in his name? Immediate family ties, immovable assets, employment and/or an ongoing, profitable business are the normal criteria used to assess an applicant's likelihood to return to Thailand.

P.S. I think the rough-looking, tattooed, long-haired people are Australian Rules Footballers. :lol:

You can make the application yourself, just make sure he has all the required documents. He really needs to have some land in his own name, it gives a better reason for him to return however you have an uphill battle without the letter from the employer. Also if you are a gay couple and can provide proof of the relationship, ie, copies of emails and photos, you would have a much better chance of success.

Your Thai friend fits the profile of the most turned down visa applicant applying for a visa to Australia or the US in my opinion.

1. Youthful age.

2. Occupation that is not verified by employer and length of that employment.

3. Possible gay relationship with Aussie resident in OZ.

4. No family ties or compelling reason to return to Thailand.

5. Qualifies for chef job in Australia.

Your question about so many Thais already in Australia can be explained by visa overstays, qualifications as student, (at one time, I don't know about now,) students who graduate from OZ university could get permanent residence, Thais who apply for needed skills visa.

I was shocked to learn that hairdressers are in a needed skills category for immigration purposes. I don't know about chefs but that would be based on a two year stay to work.

How to turn it around? Slim but possible:

1. Establish long term employment as chef through tax records.

2. Adopt "story" that professional qualifications as chef would be greatly enhanced by learning restaurant kitchen management through visit to OZ restaurants. Establish itinerary, make appointments confirmed by letter from OZ restaurant managers of visit, places to stay, expenses expected and funds to pay for the stay, number of days critical, etc. Certainly a letter from employer about vacation to visit OZ but better of course is how visit will enhance his value to restaurant.

3. Stay away from OZ sponsor that suggests a relationship that would cause him to overstay, ie love relationship, etc.

4. Make important appointments in Thailand upon return, sign up for education courses, etc.

5. Establish family ties stories with own family, care of children, Thai partner, etc. in other words emotional ties to Thailand that might be considered "compelling".

Good luck!! He will need it.