Kia Picanto

wally1k

From Top Gear UK. Only just over 300,000 Baht there. Car tax is bloody high here.

£6,278 - £8,378

You pay peanuts, you get Picantos. All the same, it's still worth checking out this ultra-cheap, virtually disposable city car. Could be a bit of a laugh.

See full review at http://www.topgear.com/uk/kia/picanto

*Personally, for 400,000 Baht, I'd rather look for a one owner, lightly used truck

Edited by uptheos

In the United States, Hyundai/Kia have become highly regarded for quality - for some years requiring relatively few repairs, and they have successfully increased sales in hard times, challenging the Japanese. This model, of course, I cannot know.

One thing about it is that you might get one before a lower range Nissan March - wait time for that car is 8 months or more, one sales person said to me just yesterday.

Of course, there is the increasingly important question of fuel choices. I see one outfit selling Compressed Natural Gas autos, and since that is a native product, unlike other auto fuels, it may replace LPG (my happy choice at present) and diesel as the government's favorites.

Naturally, however, I join others in urging you to purchase the largest gas-guzzler you have ever considered in your wildest imagination because, you know, it's the thing to do. If you have four to carry, get a four-plus. While you're at it, get the four-wheel drive, because you might want to go up a slippery slope one day. In fact, get a Fortuner, it's popular, it's a Toyota, and it confers something in the status wars. Above all, don't get a fuel-efficient automobile! (Although we all know that 60baht/l gasahol is just around the corner.)

Edited by CMX

In the United States, Hyundai/Kia have become highly regarded for quality - for some years requiring relatively few repairs, and they have successfully increased sales in hard times, challenging the Japanese. This model, of course, I cannot know.

One thing about it is that you might get one before a lower range Nissan March - wait time for that car is 8 months or more, one sales person said to me just yesterday.

Of course, there is the increasingly important question of fuel choices. I see one outfit selling Compressed Natural Gas autos, and since that is a native product, unlike other auto fuels, it may replace LPG (my happy choice at present) and diesel as the government's favorites.

Naturally, however, I join others in urging you to purchase the largest gas-guzzler you have ever considered in your wildest imagination because, you know, it's the thing to do. If you have four to carry, get a four-plus. While you're at it, get the four-wheel drive, because you might want to go up a slippery slope one day. In fact, get a Fortuner, it's popular, it's a Toyota, and it confers something in the status wars. Above all, don't get a fuel-efficient automobile! (Although we all know that 60baht/l gasahol is just around the corner.)

About 2 years back..Diesel 45 baht per liter and 91 50 baht per liter.:whistling:

Certainly there have been spikes in oil prices. But with China and India adding vehicles on a scale unknown before (so rapidly) and the difficulty of creating fossil fuels (at all, ever), I think it fair to suppose that a new vehicle purchased today will see fuel prices (after accounting for inflation) double fairly early in its lifetime. It is certain that fossil fuels are limited and demand almost limitless - long term.

And this is without considering upheavals in oil producing regions at present - short term hiccups possible.

Edited by CMX

• 2 months later...

Is there any further news on the arrival of the NEW kia picanto? The article in the BP discussed the brio, but also gave information on the kia. It seems like decent competition for these other eco cars. However the Thai kia website has the small engined older model,

Is there any further news on the arrival of the NEW kia picanto? The article in the BP discussed the brio, but also gave information on the kia.

Hi. By the way, have you been to Kia office not far from Carrefour , on the same side ?

P.

It must have been a month or so ago when Kia displayed some models at Rimping Meechok. At that time, the base Picanto was offered at a promotion price of 375K - exactly matching the March basic model. Also, I was told, unlike the March, the Picanto was available to receive, not just order. Like Honda's 400K offering, both are mini-compact city cars.

March will probably hold value a bit better. This matters most if you plan to sell it again in a couple years. If you just keep driving it then it's likely a very good choice. I'd choose the Kia over a Proton (or other Malaysian model) any time.

I've had a KIA Rio in Australia for almost 3 years. Can't fault it, needs little servicing and has a 5 year warranty. I really enjoy the air con too!