Thailish

chaamjamal

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen Thai road signs in Australia (is that your point?) :o ...

Yup. That was my point. Most countries expect visitors to read signs in the local language. All whiners should be happy that Thais bother posting signs in English. Worry less about spelling, grammar etc or you may have to read signs in Thai only.

I have never seen Thai road signs in Australia (is that your point?)  :o ...

Yup. That was my point. Most countries expect visitors to read signs in the local language. All whiners should be happy that Thais bother posting signs in English. Worry less about spelling, grammar etc or you may have to read signs in Thai only.

if we did have signs in thai and if they were erroneous we would expect our thai visitors to tell us, no?

Some of never use one word when six or seven will do.

It is with some considerable trepidation that I approach the keyboard. I seem to have incurred the wrath of the most excellent Maerim for my loquacity. Ironic, perhaps, when the thread starting on the innocent limitations of non-native English speakers should then turn into an attack on the precision (if I may be so bold!) of a native English speaker. Perhaps a middle path is required.

And now I seem to have attracted the attention of some worthy with the most curiously menacing name of IT. I think I need to go and have a lie down in a darkened room until this all blows over, and I suggest that others consider this wise course of action too. Just a Thought!

Hiram

May I be so bold as point out your most valuable contributions to this thread are most welcome by non native speakers of the English language.

It gives them an insight into the cunning linguistics of my muvver tung and of course something to ponder over when they are munching into their khow phadt.

I think I need to go and have a lie down in a darkened room until this all blows over, and I suggest that others consider this wise course of action too.

Hiram

I have had a word with some others and the general consensus is that this is an excellent of idea of yours and we do indeed agree with your medication plans.

We are also wondering how long you plan to be in this darkened room for?

Just another thought.

I have never seen Thai road signs in Australia (is that your point?)  :D ...

Maybe you should read my previous comments before putting the 'Whinger' lable on me B)

I only see 1 person whinging in this thread!! :o

Casuarina Public Library,Darwin,Northern Territory, has "in" and "out" printed in Thai,as well as Chinese,Vietnamese,and Greek.That is our contribution to multiculturalism.

To Nat:I had a zoology professor who could not spell "kangeroo".He was Irish.

I have never seen Thai road signs in Australia (is that your point?)  :D ...

Maybe you should read my previous comments before putting the 'Whinger' lable on me B)

I only see 1 person whinging in this thread!! :o

The 'whiner' part was not aimed at you but at those who complain about misspelt signs etc. Thais are very good at providing information in both languages even though english is not an official language (and some are excellent at trying to help even if they can only speak a few words of english).

I bought headache pills at Narita a week ago and then tried to figure out contents, strength and dosage. Even though the place was crowded with nipponese people who could read the japanese text on the box and on the leaflet in the box, it took me 30 minutes to find a uniformed woman who would lower herself to the level of translating it into english for a gaijin like me.

Thats another problem with this ###### country.

Besides the lack of fat ugly women, screaming, demanding horrible kids,lousy service in pubs,even lousier weather,road rage,getting out of the motor at filling stations to do it yourself then taking out a mortgage to pay for the stuff,aggresive, louts in bars(you looking at me ?)car theft and vandalism,old people dying from hypothermia,food that has been hanging around the freezer for about 3 years,people who don't smile, except when you fall over and break the odd leg or two on the ice,beaches that look like construction sites and you only get blue seas providing there is a chemical works outlet nearby,asylum seekers who get more money than me etc.etc.

I am home sick now.

Taxi,taxi, take me to the airport ASAP.

B):DB)

I left that in 79. Me think, good move out of that Rat Race. :o

The 'whiner' part was not aimed at you but at those who complain about misspelt signs etc. Thais is very good at providing information in both languages even though english is not an official language (and some are excellent at trying to help even if they can only speak a few words of english).

I bought headache pills at Narita a week ago and then tried to figure out contents, strength and dosage. Even though the place was crowded with japanese people who could read the japanese text on the box and on the leaflet in the box, it took me 30 minutes to find a uniformed woman who would lower herself to the level of translating it into english for a gaijin like me.

I really don't think people (well this people anyway) are having a go at the Thai misspelling or whatever of signs etc. I really think they are saying it's one of the things that make living here so worthwhile.

Remember the saying,if you speak more than two languages you are multilingual,if you speak two you are bilingual and if you speak one you are English.

Guest IT Manager
Very Interesting.. :o

To remind you, if you have forgotten..

This is Thailand. Thai is the national language. English is just the International Language. That does not mean all Thai's to speak and write perfect English. But it does mean all Thai's to know Thai Language well.

What do you think about American Zinglish

"One day I drive my black Color Car; Left side on the Road and stop to pump five Gallons of Gas on my way to the Organization I work"

Don’t you see that this too is pretty unusual like the other examples you guys have given above..

Who cares..we all understand..isn't it?

Perfect example. As someone who can read and understand the nuances, I agree with the whole thing. English is an International language (not "the", as French is also), the issue isn't anything to do with communication in Thailand. It's about the big picture. Thai people cannot speak English because they rarely hear it.

For you Kwiz, instead of waving your flag of internationalism, why don't you tell us where you learnt your English?

In fact the issue of language is essentially a nonsense since the PM is hard pressed to string two sentences together to make sense, in English and even his Thai at times isn't great, delivered down the nose, Soto voce as it were.

It isn't a language issue, it's a learning issue. Not much happens here. It's all teaching and learning isn't even used as a measure.

It's not an anti-Thai thing. The Thais do not have a monopoly on odd prose. Most of my odd prose collection comes from term papers written by college students in America. Here are two of them:

-----

You would most likely want to invest with the USA due to the NPV you receive at the end with the NPV.

Attached is a graph that shows the United States dollar exchange bid rates for Colombia.

-----

Then there is George W. Bush who says things like:

------

The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.

------

Very Interesting.. :o

To remind you, if you have forgotten..

This is Thailand. Thai is the national language. English is just the International Language. That does not mean all Thai's to speak and write perfect English. But it does mean all Thai's to know Thai Language well.

What do you think about American Zinglish

"One day I drive my black Color Car; Left side on the Road and stop to pump five Gallons of Gas on my way to the Organization I work"

Don’t you see that this too is pretty unusual like the other examples you guys have given above..

Who cares..we all understand..isn't it?

Perfect example. As someone who can read and understand the nuances, I agree with the whole thing. English is an International language (not "the", as French is also), the issue isn't anything to do with communication in Thailand. It's about the big picture. Thai people cannot speak English because they rarely hear it.

For you Kwiz, instead of waving your flag of internationalism, why don't you tell us where you learnt your English?

In fact the issue of language is essentially a nonsense since the PM is hard pressed to string two sentences together to make sense, in English and even his Thai at times isn't great, delivered down the nose, Soto voce as it were.

It isn't a language issue, it's a learning issue. Not much happens here. It's all teaching and learning isn't even used as a measure.

IT..I learned my English from my Country. [Not from any native English speakers]

I did all my exams in English though the official language of my country according to the Constitution is Sinhalese.

I am sad and shamed to say that I am not very good in my national language.

Most of you who are discussing English related to Thailand have come from Countries where English is the most widely spoken language and are native speakers of English.

I am not waving a flag here on internationalism. English is The International Language according to my little knowledge about this subject.

I do not care whether Americans use Englizhe or Australians use another kangaroo version of it. But at the end of the day, they are English and the basic structure and the Alphabet remains same. [correct me if I am wrong]

Colonization was the main reason for English to become famous in Asia.

The best example for this is Thailand. No Colonization..98% can not speak in English.

In theory one can argue that the lack of English language ability is not a major issue to a country like Thailand with plenty of resources.

But the main draw back I can see is the inability and the disadvantage Thai's get when it comes to Education. The future will be based on a knowledge economy and Thai's will have a clear disadvantage over its counterparts in the future.

When it comes to knowledge 99% of literature, research work and all technical books are written in English. Most of the websites with rich contents are in English.

The English-Thai translation of books will never be effective as the original versions.

That is the only reason why Thailand should put more effort on it.

This is my thinking.. :D

Thai people cannot speak English because they rarely hear it.

IT,

I am not an English teacher. But I do not agree with this point.

Why Thai's can not speak in English is due to the fact of not having a proper foundation to teach English.

Where is the foundation?

I learned English from the teachers in our own nationality from Grade 1. The teachers were Diploma holders or have gone though the Exams conducted for Government Teachers from the Teaching Schools in Sri Lanka.

The different grades, different level of teachers and the teachers have to go through the language enhancement skill training programs conducted by Government.

A very similar situation exists in India.

But when it comes to Thailand, they believe in a system where they think that a hearing English is the way to learn English.

I see the way many Thai people [specially Thai girls] speak in English and sometimes wonder why these English teachers who teach them do not put some effort to make them speak good sentences; than "OK.." , "Really.." etc from American or British accent to shorten the sentences that they are not capable to finish off.

The other mistake they do is not making English language availabe at a lower cost or at free to all Thai Children.

Sadly, in Thailand sending a child to an English School has become a fashion or a reflection of the status of the family.

The main reason for this is the high Salaries of English teachers in Thailand.

I do believe that at least 50% of English teachers in Thailand have come to Thailand not to teach English but to be with their Thai GF or to enjoy the retirement life in Thailand.

Further, some of them do not have the ability as a Teacher.

Now those are the points I consider that Thailand should address in near future if they do not wish to get isolated in a knowledge economy.

I think this threat is taken too serious.

My first impression, it was posted as an example of some hilarious signs, perhaps similar to the engrish.com. Therefor my first reaction, 'Where is the problem?'

Actually, I gave up (trying) to speak a perfect English that nobody understands and switched to the more colloquial style. English, not being my mother tongue, is just a means to communicate. I admit, I try to speak a proper English 'with native speakers, which creates the next problem, what is the 'native' way.

Example, is it 'trunk' or is it 'boot'?

Many of the people putting up the signs have a good feeling for business, trying to get non-Thai speaking customers. Although, I would recommend to them to ask for help, I must state their Engrish for sure is better than my Thai.

And now I get my 'key car' to drive hom. I rub you all and rub Tierand. Hope my secretary will rub me too.

But when it comes to Thailand, they believe in a system where they think that a hearing English is the way to learn English.

I have to say that learning a language involves a high auditory component. There are some linguists (such as Chomsky - the Nativist Perspective) who would argue that humans are born with a language acquisition device (LAD), a biologically based, innate module for picking up language that needs only to be triggered by verbal input from the environment. There has actually been quite a bit of research to support this perspective, ie that children develop complex language systems with only minimal language input.

I can actually relate this to my own personal experience. I was born in australia and grew up there - however, english was not the first language I spoke. I learnt english by watching tv (playschool, humphrey, romper room, fat cat & friends - other aussies know these shows :o ) and then once I started school - it is now my first language. The point is mere exposure to a language, particularly at a young age (when language learning is greatest), is enough to begin acquiring it.