Huawei Ideos

evstyper

I'm heading to BKK in the next month or so to work, and planning on staying for a couple of years.

From what I've read on here, SIM free, unlocked, contract free phones are not much cheaper in BKK as the UK, so am thinking of getting one before I come out - one less thing to sort once over there, and I'll only have to find a network and sim there.

I'm wanting to get a Smartphone, for phoning and texting but also for basic browsing (e-mail, facebook, etc....) I am wanting a good value for money phone. I've been looking in the UK and here I can pick up a Huawei Ideos for around £110. According to Pcadvisor (and other independant review sites), the Huawei is excellent value and is even 5th on their list of best Smartphones for 2011. From what I've read, it has everything I want, is unlocked, I can put a SIM in it easily and take an SD card for extra storage

I was wondering had anyone used it, or had a play round with one?

But, more importantly, does anyone know if it would work in BKK?

Thanks for any advice!!

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsId=3210667

Never seen Huawei smartphones here yet!

But yes, it'll work just fine here...

I'm not sure on wanting to buy a phone for which you will not get any support here...

You can get most regular phones here anyway, for example the lg optimus one with better specs (especially screen resolution) running froyo as well for under 9000 Baht.

Just by accident I saw an ad on Thai tv for a CAT 3G branded Ideos. Not sure it's the Huawei, and not sure if it's planned to be on the hsdpa system (with True as their new partner) or on their existing CDMA 3G network, which would exclude Bkk and Eastern Seaboard area.

The Huawei IDEOS (U8150) is one of the first 'cheap' smartphones. It runs Android 2.2 and has had good reviews in the markets where it has been released, where it generally sells for under US$200 unlocked. If I could sum up the reviews, they would be 'mostly as good as phones twice as expensive'. So as long as you don't expect the equivalent of a phone that costs 3 times as much (ie with a faster processor and more memory), most people are very happy.

I am also thinking of bringing mine to BKK. There may be slight variants being sold in different markets, but mine supports the following networks. Someone with better knowledge of what frequencies the phone companies are running in Thailand these days can advise on whether the following range would be restrictive (eg the lack of 3G 1800GHz).

3G Network: HSDPA 900 / 2100

2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

No 3G 1800Ghz

The screen is indeed small. But you can install the Gingerbread keyboard which is better than the stock 2.2 one, and use a small stylus if necessary.

Huawei are releasing several more powerful devices soon.

Edited by Hmmm

Anyone coming from the UK/Europe would be well advised to check out the ZTE Blade (sold as the Orange San Francisco). Available from Orange stores, Orange online and also from Argos in the UK for GBP90/4500Baht.

No contract, free online unlock, huge third-party ROM support.

Excellent value for money.

Wow, that is a small screen. I guess you can buy a magnifying glass, or reading glasses with all the money you save?

Seriously, which version are people buying? Do you plan to use it on a 3G network here in Thailand? If so make sure it has the right 3G radio.

Also, someone please buy a ZTE Blade, Darrel apparently has a sales quota. :D