Available News Media In Phuket

Wellington

After the way the owners of Phuket News treated two of their now-fired editors, I won't be giving them a single baht.

not exactly a fair remark.

Would either one of you care to elaborate a little?

my point exactly...not really fair to make such negative personal comments about aomeone with absolutely no context or detail. i thought that was not allowed in the forum?

:wacko: I'm confused. Do you know what happened to these editors or not?

If not, then how do you know what he's saying is unfair?

If so, then why aren't you telling us what happened, and proving your point?

Edited by BangTaoBoy

I think both of them know that this would be the wrong place to air this particular grievance.

Maybe you need to drop this particular bone.

Edited by KarenBravo

I think both of them know that this would be the wrong place to air this particular grievance.

Maybe you need to drop this particular bone.

You have an unhealthy obsession with bones!!

If that's the case, it was a bit pointless them bringing it up, wasn't it!

my comments remain general as to get more specific would go against forum rules.

if someone wishes to take a stranger's opinion (mine) as fact of actual wrong-doing, they're not very bright. still, i'm privy so certain information and will not support phuket's newest news outlet.

"Alan's site is good for entertainment if for no other reason."

What year did you graduate from Rupert Murdoch's School of Journalism?

my comments remain general as to get more specific would go against forum rules.

if someone wishes to take a stranger's opinion (mine) as fact of actual wrong-doing, they're not very bright. still, i'm privy so certain information and will not support phuket's newest news outlet.

"Alan's site is good for entertainment if for no other reason."

What year did you graduate from Rupert Murdoch's School of Journalism?

good point, but for the record your remarks without context or details do smack a bit of cowardly slander and makes one think you have some other agenda. do you own shares in the gazette maybe?:lol:

but of course we have no idea as you say if you have any such information or if it is true or if what your ethical aptitude and ability to apply is. so i agree, no one should listen to anything you have to say in this regard.

too bad though for you. my first impression of the new paper is good. a bit better and more substative content than the gazette AND five Baht cheaper. if i owned the gazette, i would be concerned to say the least.

^ if you're so interested, have read about what i've said about the gazette in the past. agenda? i think not.

of course the first issue's going to be good, the second fairly good and the third good as well. after that, it'll be time to really see what the publication has to offer.

and if five baht's really worth a mention...well...that indeed is too bad for you. i lose more than that to the sofa every week.

Competition is good....give the new newspaper time..all new busineses have teething problems..as far as speculating about new staff is concerned,thats up to them not you...lets wait and see how it turns out,also watch the competition..should be interesting :lol:

At least you guys in Phuket have some newspapers to talk about. Up hear in Chiang Mai the count is ZERRO :lol:

Can't really call them "newspapers" as much as you could call them "advert guides" as they have more advertising than news. I think of the coupon bags you can get (for free!)when going through baggage claim at the airport when seeing these papers.

The new paper starting is called the Phuketarian. As mentioned it is being started by the guy behind NewspapersDirect.

Actually no, it is not called that. It will be called, of all things, "The Phuket News" (though you are correct re the connection to the said publication). I would post the website but I am not looking to get a lecture or worse from the monitors and I am sure you all, or most you, are proficient enough with a certain search engin ;)

The Phuket News has nothing to do with the guy behind Newspaper Direct. It is being run by the guy behind The Phuketian. Newspaper Direct and The Phuketian are run by different people.

At this moment we have a very interesting divergence of published opinion which, in my opinion, will speak volumes about the quality of reporting in Phuket.

The Phuket Gazette reported on the overturned bus this morning, on Patong Hill. It describes the circumstances surrounding the turnover, and says that the driver is in the police station.

A, let's say another publication says that the driver fled and the police are currently looking for him.

The new newspaper says that driver's whereabouts are "unknown."

It'll be interesting to see which paper got the right story. :)

Edited by katabeachbum
removed name of a newspaper who do not want to be mentioned in ThaiVisa

At this moment we have a very interesting divergence of published opinion which, in my opinion, will speak volumes about the quality of reporting in Phuket.

The Phuket Gazette reported on the overturned bus this morning, on Patong Hill. It describes the circumstances surrounding the turnover, and says that the driver is in the police station.

A, let's say another publication says that the driver fled and the police are currently looking for him.

true and great point/highlight on the free press competition we all are perhaps going to benefit from. although i think your second to summaries are basically the same. either the police have/had him at that time or the don't/did not. btw woody are you making the new papers available at your your sandwich stores? i was in your laguna store for a bite on sunday (as your sauage muffins are excellent!) but i did not see any copies of the new publication, only several house copies of the gazette.

Whoever wrote T&Cs page on said new news site should not be allowed to operate a PC, run a website, or connect to the Internets in any way, shape or form:

<blockquote>You may not create a link to any page of this website without our prior written consent.</blockquote>

I'm always dismayed at the stupidity of some online publishers, and the idea that you can enforce a rule prohibiting others from creating a hyperlink to your site shows a level of naivety which suggests you should not be online in the first place...

woody are you making the new papers available at your your sandwich stores? i was in your laguna store for a bite on sunday (as your sauage muffins are excellent!) but i did not see any copies of the new publication, only several house copies of the gazette.

I'm carrying the Phuket News and Phuketian at Sandwich Shoppe Patong, but not at the other Shoppes.

I write for the Phuket Gazette, both online and print editions. They're actively supporting all sorts of things that I'm doing - the Computer Clinics, the Investment Seminars and now the Facebook 101 Seminar. They'll soon be a sponsor of the Phuket Internet Speed reporting site. They've also supported many charity activities I've been involved with over the years; helped raise millions of baht for needy kids. Tens of millions. Good people.

A community newspaper is more than a piece of paper or a web site. It's part of the community. The Gazette's done a commendable job of working with the community for more than a decade. The challenge is for a new newspaper to help, too. Two of the principals at the Phuket News have a good track record - Alasdair's done an enormous amount of work helping the disadvantaged, and being involved in local activities. Let's see if the new paper can carry the ball.

There is a new Phuket weekly aper coming out very soon, first issue is 4 March 2011...

I've got that one - the Phuket News. Web site same name. Not a bad first issue. The more competition the better.

Seeing the other thread about Alan, it occurred to me it was somewhat one-sided and he had no defenders.

Now I have put my penny's worth in the argument and wait to see if anyone else thinks he does a good job.

I think he does a great job. He nearly always prints my comments, unlike the Gazette who now never do, probably because I told them what I thought of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well there you go, as I understand, the police at still hunting this bus driver. So, in the "accuracy in fact finding and reporting on breaking news stories contest" we have:

THE PHUKET NEWS: 1

PHUKET GAZETTE: 0

2 news sources in Thailand do not want to be quoted, linked or mentioned in any way in Thai Visa. If you read the Forum rules you will know their names.

Please keep topic and posts within Forum rules

Despite public warnings, members keep mentioning names.

Post deleted. Topic closed