Website For Buying & Selling Shares?

It is important to note for those interested in trading stocks that the Labor Department does not require you to have a work permit to do so, either in front of your computer or at the broker's office. However, since a company would be required to open the trading account initially, you would need a work permit for that.

If you wish to trade stocks more easily, a better solution is to open an account outside of Thailand and then there is no need to obtain a work permit.

E-mail us for a contact in Thailand that can help you, they are a manager with a international firm here. Sunbelt Asia, however, shall not be held responsible for any trading profits or losses incur from this introduction.

http://www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

I like TDAmeritrade. I like their ThinkorSwim tading platform. I think if you open an account they give you a bunch of free trades. There's other like ETrade and Scottrade to name a few.

In Etrade UK site was taken over by TDWaterhouse. I've been using Etrade US site for many years as a UK expat with no capital gains, lower broker fees and have no complaints.

I use Comsec ( australian ) lowest brokerage rates by far and their cash account pays 5.2% interest p.a. whilst sitting in the account between trades, they have forex and you can trade many markets all with the one account...

• 4 months later...

This is the current list of markets available for trading through CommSec:

US

New York Stock Exchange

NASDAQ

American Stock Exchange

Canada

UK

Japan

Hong Kong

Other Asia

Indonesia

Philippines

Singapore

Thailand

Europe

Austria

Belgium

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Ireland

Italy

Luxembourg

The Netherlands

Norway

Portugal

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

Turkey

New Zealand

Middle East

Israel

---

I've only ever traded Australian shares through CommSec, but as you can see, the Thai market is available. Brokerage for Australian shares is $20-30 per transaction. For US, Canada, UK, Japan and Hong Kong markets it is USD$71.50 or 0.825%. For all other markets (including SET) it is USD$143.00 or 1.10%. Only the ASX and US markets can be traded online through CommSec. All other market transactions must be initiated by phone.

But what are the custody fees for all these recommended brokers?

Trades may be cheap but it has been high custody fees that have put me off previously.

I had a look around on CommSec's website and for international trading you have to apply for an additional account to your Australian trading account and, yes the additional fees are high:

• Custody fee for inactive accounts USD$75.00 per year
  • Outgoing account transfers to either another custodian or direct registration to client $110.00 per transfer
  • Foreign Securities Custody fee USD$2.20 per non-US holding of security per month, per account
  • Posted trade confirmantion fee USD$2.00 per trade confirmation

So if you want to trade on the SET, obviously better to do it with a local brokerage firm.