Eating Raw Egg Yolks In Thailand

haveaniceday

I am the proud owner of a new ice cream machine, but many of the recipes call for egg yolks, raw egg yolks.

Are there nasties in Thailand that live in eggs that would not be in western places like Australia to be seriously concerned.

I am probably eating raw egg yolks in commercially bought ice cream here anyway come to think of it.

I thought that cooking ( or heating ) eggs to 60'c killed any Salmonella.

Any thoughts would be helpful thanks.

I can guarantee you are not eating raw egg yolk in your ice cream. No manufacturer would take that risk, the yolks will have been pasteurised. You can do something similar at home that involves lemon juice, google it, but maybe not so good for ice cream.

I must admit that I sometimes use raw (or nearly raw) egg yolks in Thailand, but only from suppliers to the big western-style grocery stores, the ones who advertise that they refrigerate their products all the way from the mama chicken to the supermarket. I've never had any problems. However, my mother had Masters Degree in Home Economics and we sometimes made ice cream at home in the U.S. She'd never use recipes that caused for raw egg yolks. So, there are definitely two schools of thought on this topic.

I still follow two practices of hers -- washing the eggs very carefully with soapy water and rinsing before using because that egg has been "you know where" and cracking it open in a bowl to check for freshness before tossing it into the mixing bowl.

Edited by NancyL

I eat raw egg yolks almost on a daily basis here. I did also in the US. Never had a problem. I don't worry about getting sick, I am young and healthy. The sicknesses that can be passed to you from eggs are normally only a concern for children and old folks. Healthy people will show no symptoms or only mild effects.

I eat raw egg yolks almost on a daily basis here. I did also in the US. Never had a problem. I don't worry about getting sick, I am young and healthy. The sicknesses that can be passed to you from eggs are normally only a concern for children and old folks. Healthy people will show no symptoms or only mild effects.

Are you sure? I personally would not knowingly want to eat raw egg yolks, at all. But then I am the oldest teenager in town? :sick:

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Are you sure? I personally would not knowingly want to eat raw egg yolks, at all. But then I am the oldest teenager in town? :sick:

jb1

Some people like these eggs with already have half a baby inside.... :sick:

jb1

I tried once, never again... :sick:

jb1

I tried once, never again... :sick:

you mean this delicacy from Manila? ...

post-22903-0-96594400-1298444941_thumb.j

I use raw egg yolks all the time here. I make my own mayonnaise and aioli and I also eat eggs without fully cooked yolks. I buy at Villa Market usually, and they have organic, free-range eggs. I couldn't say whether they are actually organic, or free-range, but they taste pretty good and I've never had a problem with the raw yolks.

I eat -drink actually- two raw eggs nearly every morning, with a dash of tabasco and maggi, paadonko being used to clean up the cup.

Every Sunday, I am making a jar of mayonnaise that use all the week , in many variation, as a base sauce for my evening aperitif snacks.

I never had any problem with raw eggs... excepted my cholesterol level B)

Apart from the risk of Salmonella in eggs,the yolks are very high in Colesterol!

I think that they ("they" being the collective hive mind that we all listen to [are brainwashed by]) have backed off warning about cholesterol in eggs. I hear more warnings of the cholesterol in shrimp now than eggs. ohmy.gif

As for salmonella, as I stated, this is more for those at risk of sickness, such as the old and very young.

I use a raw egg yolk in my jok (rice porridge) that I eat every morning.

Edited by floridaguy

Apart from the risk of Salmonella in eggs,the yolks are very high in Colesterol!

I think that they ("they" being the collective hive mind that we all listen to [are brainwashed by]) have backed off warning about cholesterol in eggs. I hear more warnings of the cholesterol in shrimp now than eggs. ohmy.gif

As for salmonella, as I stated, this is more for those at risk of sickness, such as the old and very young.

I use a raw egg yolk in my jok (rice porridge) that I eat every morning.

Sure the myth of the cholesterol in eggs has been debunked a long time ago.

Myths, nanny-police or otherwise, there are several ways to bring egg yolks to to a pathogen-killing 160 DG F / 70 DG C without scrambling the yolk -- you can mix them with a little liquid in a pot on the stove, double boiler, or steam them and they are fine for mayonnaise, ice cream, mousse, etc. ... unless your raw egg in the morning is part of a hangover cure ritual.

Myths, nanny-police or otherwise, there are several ways to bring egg yolks to to a pathogen-killing 160 DG F / 70 DG C without scrambling the yolk -- you can mix them with a little liquid in a pot on the stove, double boiler, or steam them and they are fine for mayonnaise, ice cream, mousse, etc. ... unless your raw egg in the morning is part of a hangover cure ritual.

See Lazy Gourmet's post above :lol::whistling:

Does anyone know if the eggs bought in Carefore, Tesco etc have been pasteurized?

Thanks for the tips in the post, if anyone has any more tips or expanding the ideas in the quote above, that would be very help full thanks.

:)

The technique is called 'tempering' the egg yolks in that small amounts of hot liquid are added to the egg yolks and stirred/whisked to gradually bring up the temperature without scrambling the yolks -- can be used for custards, sauces (hollandaise), ice cream mixes, etc.

While the Thais eat raw shrimp, oysters, pork/larb, fermented fish, and black rice-paddy crabs in somtom, I do not know of any Thai dish off-hand that uses raw eggs

Salmonella is present in many eggs, but with proper handling, the bacteria count should remain too low to bother anyone, even those more susceptible such as the aged, infirmed, or pregnant. Simple refridgerating keeps the bacteria from multiplying.

When I get eggs, I put them through a quick wash of water with a pinch of chlorine, then put them in the fridge. I cook most eggs thoroughly, but I do make a low-fat creme brulee which forces me to handle the yolks. I simply wash my hands afterwards.

Salmonella is a very real problem, but it is not so common that most people should not enjoy their eggs, even in salad dressings and such where the eggs are raw.