Mutiple Re -Entry Permit

A related problem: I am here on a retirement visa . My next reporting date is 11 March, and my retirement visa expires on 9 April. I plan to drive (in my thai car ) to Phnom Penh before the tenth of March and drive back into Thailand on or before the 7th or 8th of April.

Am I correct in my understanding that: (a) I will be given a 90 day extension of stay beginning on the date of my return to thailand? And (B) I will not be obliged to renew the retirement visa until the end of this 90 day extension?

While that extension of stay is in effect am I permitted to get another re-entry permit and leave thailand if I return within the time limit of that new extension?

And, lastly - just for the hell of it - Is it legally possible to keep bouncing in and out of Thailand by using that procedure indefinitely - and has anyone tried that and had their fingers slapped?

A retirement visa provides a one year stay on entry (never 90 days). If you are talking about a normal multi entry non immigrant O visa then yes, you would obtain a new 90 day stay for any entry before it expires. But that is not a retirement visa (O-A) or retirement extension of stay from immigration.

If you have a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa that would get a new one year permitted to stay on any entry.

We really need to know what you have to answer.

A related problem: I am here on a retirement visa . My next reporting date is 11 March, and my retirement visa expires on 9 April. I plan to drive (in my thai car ) to Phnom Penh before the tenth of March and drive back into Thailand on or before the 7th or 8th of April.

Am I correct in my understanding that: (a) I will be given a 90 day extension of stay beginning on the date of my return to thailand? And (B) I will not be obliged to renew the retirement visa until the end of this 90 day extension?

While that extension of stay is in effect am I permitted to get another re-entry permit and leave thailand if I return within the time limit of that new extension?

And, lastly - just for the hell of it - Is it legally possible to keep bouncing in and out of Thailand by using that procedure indefinitely - and has anyone tried that and had their fingers slapped?

You terms are confusing, Retirement Visa would be an (O-A) obtained in your own country, if you are on a one year "Extension of Stay" based on retirement obtained in Thailand, you would need a re-entry permit, either single or multiple depending on how many trips you want to make. If your permitted to stay date is April 9th, you would be stamped in until April 9th, no time would be added for stay purposes. But it would change the dates of when you are required to comply with the 90 day address report.

Edited by beechguy

OK. Thank you gentlemen!

I agree - confusing - to me too.

I now have my passport in front of me. I had a non-B visa for years while teaching - left one position and switched to "retirement" at Suan Plu. Went back to work - different school, new work permit and switched from "retirement back to non-B - Kanchanaburi, I believe. Some years later retired again and switched from non-B back to "retirement" at Kanchanaburi (01 APR 2009, good 'til 02 APR 2010, multiple reentry visa stamp 'til 02 APR 2010.)

On 09 APR 2010 received extension of stay and multiple re-entry both valid until 09 APR 2011.

Again, my next reqired reporting date is March 11.

I still want to drive to Phnom Penh (my Thai car) before the 10th of March and drive back to Thailand a week or more before 09 APR.

1. Will I or will I not get a 90 day extension of stay on re-entry to Thailand?

2. If I do, how does this affect my extension of stay til (or after) 09 APR?

3. Am I allowed to travel outside Thailand before 09 Apr - and if so am I eligible

for a re-entry permit?

4. What would be my status on re-entry and/or what would I have to do to

revive "extension of stay" status?

Thank you for your expertise.

You can leave can leave but need to re-enter before 09-April to apply for a new extension of stay (and re-entry permit). If you return after 9 April you need a new visa to enter.

The re-entry permit allows you to return to Thailand without any problems, as long as it is before the date your current permission to stay ends. When you return to Thailand simply write the number of your re-entry visa on the arrival card.

But you will only be allowed to stay until April 9 and then must leave unless you have extended your stay again. You should be fine returning a week or more before expiration and have time to obtain a new extension of stay before your current stay expires.

1. No - you return with a stay until 9 April.

2. No effect - you will still have to leave or extend by 9 April.

3. Yes you can travel and you require a single re-entry permit which you already have in the form of a multi valid until 9 April.

4. Permitted to stay until 9 April and submit normal yearly paperwork for a new extension of stay before that date.

As long as you depart before May 11th you will not have to do a 90 day address until 90 days after your return (or it may be combined with your new extension of stay as they seem to be trying to have people do both on the same day).

Thank you all!

Your answers were clear, to the point and of geat use to me.

Had I acted on what I thought was correct information I would have found myself in Thailand without legal permission!

- a situation to be avoid at alll costs!

Thank you again! Much appreciated!!!

• 1 year later...

0600-2400 at desk prior to outgoing immigration processing (believe there are two areas and only one has desk so may have to ask) and cost will be normal fee of 1,000 or 3,800 baht (single on multi entry) plus 200 baht service/copy fee. Allow about 20 minutes extra. Always better to obtain in advance from immigration office in case of a later arrival or other last minute situation.