When Whitening Propoganda Goes Too Far

Huey

I've to admit the advertisement is not of the best taste but there is no reason to go overboard because of it.

OK I'm a bit chubby, "slightly" overweight, so should I get mad because of all these advertisements showing skinny guys with their 6 pack abs ? True the Angelina Jolie of this world prefers the Brad Pitt kind of guy. but a few like guys with side handles (they call them "love handles" B)). Good enough for me.

And don't talk about racism, I belong to the most ostracized category : male, white, no financial problem. I know what it is to be hated ....

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And don't talk about racism, I belong to the most ostracized category : male, white, no financial problem. I know what it is to be hated ....

And of christian background? :o

I feel with you, brother. :whistling:

But seriously, Thailand is not politically correct, and that is one of its great advantages. You are not mind controlled as in the West and you can (mostly) say what you think, even make a bad joke like this BTS-ad.

I hope it stays like that!

I've to admit the advertisement is not of the best taste but there is no reason to go overboard because of it.

OK I'm a bit chubby, "slightly" overweight, so should I get mad because of all these advertisements showing skinny guys with their 6 pack abs ? True the Angelina Jolie of this world prefers the Brad Pitt kind of guy. but a few like guys with side handles (they call them "love handles" B)). Good enough for me.

Maybe the sign should say "No one over 300lbs can sit here," but perhaps someday you can sit there Jurgen, that is if you eat less pie :lol:

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Someone asked what are the economic implications of racism. I don't have statistics for Thailand but in the US the net worth of white people is generally eight times that of black people, and that horrific race gap has gotten LARGER in recent years. Most of the wealth of white people is inherited and caused by living in real estate in more "desirable" white areas; in other words, not earned, but a result of being BORN into white privilege. Yes of course there are plenty of dirt poor white people; I am talking in generalizations. I see the same kind of thing in Thailand, darker skinned Thais with a greater probability of being in the underclass with no hope of rising up.

People who say don't tink too much, I consider anti-intellectual Thai-ier than thou apologists. It's not a matter of PC or not PC, it's a matter of being conscious of what's going on.

Edited by Jingthing

People who say don't tink too much, I consider anti-intellectual Thai-ier than thou apologists. It's not a matter of PC or not PC, it's a matter of being conscious of what's going on.

People are tired of PC, and here you are free to say so. Nothing to do with "thaier than thai".

The costs of PC are horrendous. Companies have to protect themselves from multi million $ lawsuits by some self proclaimed "victims of discrimination". This costs big money and generates a atmosphere of fear.

In my home country, it is mandatory for any job offer in public services to write "women of same qualifications are preferred". They call this "positive discrimination" and the result is a huge overblown communist style bureaucracy of mainly females. The costs for this pays the (mostly male) tax payer.

Back to Thailand - they can make a joke and I fully support them. In the West, the thought police would destroy anybody who just tried something similar.

People are tired of PC, and here you are free to say so. Nothing to do with "thaier than thai".

The costs of PC are horrendous. Companies have to protect themselves from multi million $ lawsuits by some self proclaimed "victims of discrimination". This costs big money and generates a atmosphere of fear.

In my home country, it is mandatory for any job offer in public services to write "women of same qualifications are preferred". They call this "positive discrimination" and the result is a huge overblown communist style bureaucracy of mainly females. The costs for this pays the (mostly male) tax payer.

Back to Thailand - they can make a joke and I fully support them. In the West, the thought police would destroy anybody who just tried something similar.

This is not about PC or not PC.

This is about right or wrong, this is just plain wrong. Wrong on so many levels.

Whilst Thai people may be racist (surely not all of them are), that doesn't seem the same as the 'white skin snobbery' to me.

Are you so sure about that? Haven't you heard the Thai jokes about darker skinned people from Isaan, calling them Khun Lao?

I think its just natural to go for the best partner. Guys go for the prettiest girl. Girls think white skinned ppl have more money.

In thailand, yes. Indicates they're not from the poorer classes, but from richer (supposed) Thai-Chinese stock, which pretty much own this country and every business in it.

Well yes JT but they are still of the same race, so I don't think it's actually racist yet.

Would you consider the idea that the white skin snobbery that is culturally endemic in Thailand (and much of Asia) has turned the populace into racists, as opposed to our home countries where race was always the overwhelming issue?

BTW I also think this is appalling and I encourage people of dark skin to sit in them as a big f you to the advertisers.

I guess you guys haven't seen the "light skinned only" employment ads.

It's a complex thing here. Part of it is class based disdain for people who do hard work in the sun which explains why so many Thais cover up at the beach.

Those adverts are not illegal in Thailand.

But they bloody well should be. Along with the ads for female employees under 25. Diktet.

Edited by inmysights

Well yes JT but they are still of the same race, so I don't think it's actually racist yet.

Would you consider the idea that the white skin snobbery that is culturally endemic in Thailand (and much of Asia) has turned the populace into racists, as opposed to our home countries where race was always the overwhelming issue?

BTW I also think this is appalling and I encourage people of dark skin to sit in them as a big f you to the advertisers.

1) Spike Lee has done a movie about this topic inside the black community in the US (YEARS ago) I think it was School Daze

2) http://www.skin-whitening-product.com/whitening-skin-care.html a US company selling in the US :)

I guess you guys haven't seen the "light skinned only" employment ads.

It's a complex thing here. Part of it is class based disdain for people who do hard work in the sun which explains why so many Thais cover up at the beach.

Those adverts are not illegal in Thailand.

But they bloody well should be. Along with the ads for female employees under 25. Diktet.

Why should companies not hire who they choose to? Does anyone that thinks working in a movie theater makes the employee "high class" ....? I would like to see some better labor laws that include some equal opportunity inclusions, but even if enacted they are YEARS off from being enforced in Thailand/SEA

You're Caucasian, aren't you?

Why should companies not hire who they choose to? Does anyone that thinks working in a movie theater makes the employee "high class" ....? I would like to see some better labor laws that include some equal opportunity inclusions, but even if enacted they are YEARS off from being enforced in Thailand/SEA

Actually they do. But now they have to go through some time wasting procedure to show they give everybody a fair chance. Time wasting for everybody as people with no chance to be hired are asked for interview.

The problem is company will take less and less risk and people who have difficulties being employed in the present will be blacklisted in the future. Just like in some countries, tenants are so much protected that landlords prefers to let their property empty rather to rent to someone who will not pay the rent and they won't be able to kick out.

You're Caucasian, aren't you?

You think? whistling.gif

I can see why people grow tired of the negative effects of PC, but the ad in the OP just doesn't seem like a good joke to me.

You don't see it as a good joke because your not a bigot. It requires a certain lack of character, which you obviously don't suffer from, to find crap like this amusing.

And why the F, dose PC always come up in discussions like this. Damm what ever happened to common sense or better yet, common courtesy?

Whilst Thai people may be racist (surely not all of them are), that doesn't seem the same as the 'white skin snobbery' to me.

Are you so sure about that? Haven't you heard the Thai jokes about darker skinned people from Isaan, calling them Khun Lao?

You might want to consider the social and linguistic differences between Isaan and other parts of Thailand.

There used to be this dark skinned presenter on the Laostar channel out of Vientiene who was such a cracker that, in the words of Sir John Betjeman, I would crawl 1000 miles across broken beer bottles naked just to wank on her shadow. Made every fair skinned Thai look like an also ran in the beautiful stakes.

Edited by mca

There used to be this dark skinned presenter on the Laostar channel out of Vientiene who was such a cracker that, in the words of Sir John Betjeman, I would crawl 1000 miles across broken beer bottles naked just to wank on her shadow. Made every fair skinned Thai look like an also ran in the beautiful stakes.

Conversely, one of my maids is very light skinned and most of our clients are not (average Thai people all in all) it blows away the concept that skin tone is a deciding factor in Thailand. Personal drive and ambition make a HUGE difference.

Look at the Thai Parliament .... all colors and all types.

the Thai parliament. That assortment always puts me in my mind of the cast of Fraggle Rock or the patrons of the Mos Eisley Cantina from Star Wars. I mean, I ain't exactly Armani couture model material but those guys........DAAAMN!

Edited by mca

the Thai parliament. That assortment always puts me in my mind of the cast of Fraggle Rock or the patrons of the Mos Eisley Cantina from Star Wars. I mean, I ain't exactly Armani couture model material but those guys........DAAAMN!

Exactly ---- and while some ARE fair skinned, most are not. It dispels the myth as does my allegorical (but true) maid story.

All humans are the same race. There is only one race -- the human race. We are one species, all of us exactly the SAME species, with no subspecies of humans existing on earth. However, people see race, an illusion of race, based on superficial physical differences which people via their societies blow up to be huge differences. So yes if Thai people who are light skinned feel superior to Thai people who are dark skinned, yes, absolutely, 100 percent, it is as racist as ANY racism in the world.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry Jing, when the majority are similar in appearance you are not dealing with racism, you might (and only might) be dealing with implied classism, but certainly not racism. Even many "Chinese Thais" are descendants of people that immigrated from hunnan and are of the same major ethnic group that is present in the majority of Thais that did not have recent ancestors from China.

Laotians and Isaan Thais are in many ways more similar linguistically than Isaaners and Central Thais, but racially they are the same. The impression I get from many Thais from other areas is that they think of Laotians as "country cousins". They are not (typically) as nice in how they think about the Burmese or Khmer. I could refer you to the Thai comedy movie "Jaew" as an example of this. One of my favorite Thai movies. When the maids (turned into spies) speak amongst themselves in local Isaan dialect (basically Lao) there are subtitles in the movie .... in Thai. My Thai friends from Isaan are all very careful to speak quite polite "Central Thai" to avoid being thought of in any stereotypical way when around strangers. When amongst friends (from anywhere) they are apt to speak Isaan Thai in a form of self-deprecating humor, but only because they are amongst equals socially (all Dr's/Lawyers/professionals etc).

Again I go back to the Spike Lee movie as an example from "back home" ... where students ... oh well .. watch it. It is very dated but still fairly accurate.