Best Isp For International Websites

jbeck

Hi,

I've found a lot of of old threads - mostly all negative feedback on all companies.

1) is anyone happy with their provider and who do you recommend?

2) do you have to sign a year contract?

my main uses are:

3) MUST support torrent downloads, about 10 per month, motorcycle races about 1 GB per race as well as movies, a few a month

4) I will be skyping to the US, but mostly to cell phones, not video

5) I will be doing a distance learning program from/to the University of Hawaii, some of the courses may be webcasts (I don't know what software), and some may have real-time video ...probably the most difficult requirement.

6) you tube without horrid wait times- is it possible? Of course all the important things/servers I are outside Thailand, probably Mainland USA.

Right now I'm using my Condo's WIFi which of course is barely useful at all except for email. It's "free" meaning the rent is higher.

But there is a phone jack/phone in the wall so I have no choice but to do something once my classes start..

If I have to pay a premium price I will, as the school work is very important, 1,000 baht.month is fine, but not much more than that.

Thanks in advance

jbeck

I live close to Kad Suan Kaew and have used TRUE 8mb DSL for a year now. While I really dislike TRUE for all the spammy marketing garbage they do, the service has been rock solid for a year. I work full time on the web and download big files a couple times per week. I can only recall 2-3 times when there was a period of slowness that lasted more than a couple hours.

2) 4 month commitment

3) torrent downloads never a problem, just watched the super bowl via P2P TV - barely a hiccup

4) haven't had issues with Skype

I pay 800/mo which comes close to 1000 with taxes. Originally they gave me a free WIFI router but it had to get replaced because TRUE embeds some sneaky promo crap in the router firmware.

As I understand it, DSL performance varies quite a bit depending on your location. Maybe I just got lucky.

Hi Jbeck,

I use 3BB (12MB) 1350Baht/PM (year contract). Its rock solid. Does everything your asking for. I stream WSBK, BSBK using myp2p for live races and MotoGP, but this is usually shown on UBC live if you have it.

I also use Skype to friends around the world including video, you get the odd glitch but nothing to be concerned over.

Youtube works a treat with it, you get the occasional clip where you have to pause for a wee while, nothing too annoying

Hi Jbeck,

I use 3BB (12MB) 1350Baht/PM (year contract). Its rock solid. Does everything your asking for. I stream WSBK, BSBK using myp2p for live races and MotoGP, but this is usually shown on UBC live if you have it.

I also use Skype to friends around the world including video, you get the odd glitch but nothing to be concerned over.

Youtube works a treat with it, you get the occasional clip where you have to pause for a wee while, nothing too annoying

What do you use to stream the races, the official sites?

Thanks. Looks like a ~ 4000 b installation fee and yeah, the one year contract, I may move, do you have to pay the entire balance?

I guess they can't make you...but would refuse service in the future...

I'll probably stop in to the internet shops at Central Airport and ask questions.

True 8MB cable is looking like an alternative.

For now, my apt has true TV (free) in all the rooms and I think I can have them add the internet.

I have to check with the owner..and with True.

thanks

Hi All - I live on Soi Ruamrudee 2, where you might suppose True would offer good service. I have had True 8MB for the last 2 years and could not be more dissatisfied with the service - Cannot connect, connections dropped, etc, etc. I have given up calling True technical. Their only advice seems limited to clear memory and shut off router once in awhile. My computer shows me there is some WiFi going on in this building, however the building itself does not offer any service. Besides True's poor internet service (which is really bothersome since I lose many, many downloads from the US) I'd like to buy an iPhone 4 and rely on WiFi at home. Does anyone have any ideas for a not so technical guy??

Thanks

Edited by bill1369

Hi All - I live on Soi Ruamrudee 2, where you might suppose True would offer good service. I have had True 8MB for the last 2 years and could not be more dissatisfied with the service - Cannot connect, connections dropped, etc, etc. I have given up calling True technical. Their only advice seems limited to clear memory and shut off router once in awhile. My computer shows me there is some WiFi going on in this building, however the building itself does not offer any service. Besides True's poor internet service (which is really bothersome since I lose many, many downloads from the US) I'd like to buy an iPhone 4 and rely on WiFi at home. Does anyone have any ideas for a not so technical guy??

Thanks

First thing you should do is determine whether it's actually a bad internet connection or just misconfigured WIFI. Have you tried connecting directly to the router with an ethernet cable?

Hi Jbeck,

The quality of your connection depends entirely on where you live. You may have success with 3BB wherever you are but that does not mean that someone else will have the same success where they live. I've tried most of the Maxnet/3BB packages and and where I live, the service can't be any worse; probably because I am so far from the nearest box. Even with the most expensive packages I still could not watch You Tube or use Skype. I bought a Cisco modem router and that did not help the connection speed at all, although I must admit that here are less frequent complete drop outs with the new router. I tried to get CAT but they do not service my area. I've given up on good Internet service from where I live.

Edited by elektrified

Thanks

First thing you should do is determine whether it's actually a bad internet connection or just misconfigured WIFI. Have you tried connecting directly to the router with an ethernet cable?

Fully agree, in general, do not rely on Wi-Fi for more demanding tasks like downloads and streaming. Use a proper Ethernet cable. If you already are using a cable (not entirely clear from your post), then I can understand your frustration at TRUE - try to get their engineers over to your place to help you with troubleshooting.

Thanks

Thanks all for your help + suggestions! As a reference, I don't use WiFi; I have True internet ethernet with cable router & cable set up. What i was originally asking is whether WiFi might be an option since True's service is so very bad here. Apparently, WiFi isn't really a good option either, according to several replies (Thanks!). I have given up calling True tech help. A couple times they've "monitored" my connection at their facility - whatever that means - and a couple other times the phone techie has asked about my "recent visit" from their technician - which has never ever occurred, though True seems to think they have been to my apartment. (Oh, someone inquired about True packages - a couple weeks ago I called and was told 4MB, 8MB, 10MB, 14MB & 16MB speeds were available for me (I have 8MB now). To upgrade, I needed the Thai owner of my condo to call them, which he did. After talking to True, he then called me to say only 4MB & 8MB were available in my area - about 1/2 km from the US Embassy!) I actually doubt that an upgrade in speed would mean better service.

That all said, I am still wondering about WiFi - and providers, especially since True sucks anyway. I'd like to buy an iPhone4 and be able to connect the phone via WiFi at home. There's no point having both True + WiFi so, if neither are that good, does anyone have an opinion on a WiFi service that I can use for both internet connection + the iPhone?

Thanks much, everyone!!