Crackdown On Backpack Teachers

george

Are you telling me the Thais don't know who's a teacher and who isn't?

You'd think they check it out before they hire just anyone who walked up off the street with a white face and a native English speaking accent.

I was checking out this web site and ran across this article...interesting...

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/73/Teachi...n_Thailand.html

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When those Thai ajarns and administrations earned their B.Ed. and their M.Ed., there was no course in how to tell a good farang teacher from a bad farang teacher. They do not check on degrees, either because they don't have time, don't have the tools to do it, or simply don't know how. Or, their boss doesn't really care.

In the three schools I've taught at, the Thai administrators never observed one of my classes or commented on a lesson plan. Our methods of teaching (non-rote, non-multiple choice, student-centered, speaking English 100% of the time) are literally so foreign to the Thai ajarns of English that they leave us alone, without some of the assistance we need.

Sure, the Thais need to crack down on backpacker teachers. And the decently-qualified TEFLers need to crack down on backbacker schools. (insert smilie emoticon here)

Are you telling me the Thais don't know who's a teacher and who isn't?

You'd think they check it out before they hire just anyone who walked up off the street with a white face and a native English speaking accent.

White? I've been going to put a post about a Berlitz ad I saw in the Bangkok Post a few months ago. This seems as good an opportunity as any.

Berlitz ask: "....only applicants from UK, US, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada".

So is that because:

1. Berlitz only want these nationalities;

2. Others applicants would be refused visas; or

3. Thais cannot stand anyone else?

...Berlitz ask: "....only applicants from UK, US, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada".

So is that because:

1. Berlitz only want these nationalities;

2. Others applicants would be refused visas; or

3. Thais cannot stand anyone else?

Clearly, they want people whose first language is English. Having said that, there are a lot of people from the UK who would argue against US, Australia, NZ, and Canada as being "English" speaking :o

• 3 months later...

I spend 90k a year on school fees for the child but the thai assistant cannot speak any English(<deleted>),

There is no point complaining because it's easy to fake listening.

This year the classroom teacher(foreigner) has being changed twice because they left or couldn't adapt.

It's a private chinese thai owned shool and was the nearest one but next year the child will be changing schools because of all the little unsorted problems like food and having to pay 50 baht extra every 15 minutes after 15:00 when picking up the child. (selfish owners get 400 baht if 2 hours late per child) the thai teacher has to wait to 17:00 even if no kids there. All silly little games like that.

I can see the mean owners thinking "if we hire backpacker we can pay less money, more profit."

Russians maybe might be the cheapest whites.

Edited by silk123

In Thailand, I don't see the reason for the English teachers to have any other credentials other than being a native English speaker. Most kids who are learning to speak English, after 12 years of English, can't speak hardly anything at all.

And why should they. What benefit does a farm boy have if he can speak English in a rice field?

Where will he use his English skills in that little Thai village?

Why spend money on so called qualified teachers when the qualified teachers can't teach kids to speak English?

Edited by richard10365

From another thread...

I see it's time for the semi-annual Elite Card rehashing.

Funny how this long-dead horse keeps kicking after it's been bashed over the head so much.

Is there a point to flogging this dead horse again?

Sorry, but I believe there is a Thaivisa rule prohibiting the use of this phrase more than once on the forum within a 24 hour period. Can you repost yours tomorrow?

:D

or perhaps it's best if we close both of these worn-out horses. :o

Edited by sriracha john